ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   spec c water pump price....... (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1023784-spec-c-water-pump-price.html)

the shreksta 27 April 2015 09:16 PM

spec c water pump price.......

I need a spec c water pump for my blob sti as i have a top mount oil cooler, ive spoke with advanced automotive and they said they don't stock them as they will be expensive to buy in.

Am I looking at a ridiculous price for 1 of these?

Cheers

The Pink Ninja 27 April 2015 10:12 PM

why do you need a spec-c one, is there any difference?

BBB3 27 April 2015 10:43 PM

Yes and radiator is too...

AS performance might know?

I've not heard of many pumps failing?

The Pink Ninja 27 April 2015 11:20 PM

Ive been driving them for the last 4/5 years and wasnt aware of a difference and if there is why would this affect a top mounted oil cooler?

the shreksta 28 April 2015 05:18 PM

Popped into rcm to see olly, was in and out in minutes with a spec c water pump..........result.

As I have a top mount oil cooler I don't have the modine anymore

BBB3 28 April 2015 05:49 PM

Nice when it's simple as that :)

JonMc 28 April 2015 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja (Post 11671989)
Ive been driving them for the last 4/5 years and wasnt aware of a difference and if there is why would this affect a top mounted oil cooler?

I'd be interested to know too - I'm going to remove the modine and put a front mount oil cooler is - surely you can just join the pipework around the gap left by the modine:wonder:

the shreksta 28 April 2015 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by JonMc (Post 11672273)
I'd be interested to know too - I'm going to remove the modine and put a front mount oil cooler is - surely you can just join the pipework around the gap left by the modine:wonder:

well on my standard water pump somebody has blanked off the take off by shoving something inside it hence why i wanted the proper item

JonMc 28 April 2015 06:24 PM

I was going to use some silicon balnking caps when I took the modine and crossover off so not quite the same standard of bodge as had been done on yours :D

the shreksta 28 April 2015 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by JonMc (Post 11672286)
I was going to use some silicon balnking caps when I took the modine and crossover off so not quite the same standard of bodge as had been done on yours :D

im replacing the radiator this weekend due to a leak so i just thought as the rads off may aswell do the cambelt/water pump at the same time with fresh coolant ready for the summer :thumb::thumb:

JonMc 28 April 2015 06:29 PM

I'll be doing quite a bit - the car is SORN'd but I'll use that as an excuse to get it MOT'd without paying for tax, that one off journey to a pre-booked test and then cambelt, headers, oil cooler, cambelt etc ready to make it road legal for the remap:D

MOTORS S GT 28 April 2015 06:41 PM

Just use any Subaru EJ non turbo water pump, like the Legacy, Impreza sport etc.

the shreksta 28 April 2015 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by JonMc (Post 11672293)
I'll be doing quite a bit - the car is SORN'd but I'll use that as an excuse to get it MOT'd without paying for tax, that one off journey to a pre-booked test and then cambelt, headers, oil cooler, cambelt etc ready to make it road legal for the remap:D

sounds good,mine is going to the spray shop soon for a front end refresh then it
my 850cc injectors/new pump/rcm induction kit and if funds allow i will be sending my gt30 off to have a billet wheel fitted and then a map tweak,hoping for 450-460bhp

JonMc 29 April 2015 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 11672297)
sounds good,mine is going to the spray shop soon for a front end refresh then it
my 850cc injectors/new pump/rcm induction kit and if funds allow i will be sending my gt30 off to have a billet wheel fitted and then a map tweak,hoping for 450-460bhp

I'm not yet being quite as adventurous as I am still running a WRX block and box - so 350 and I'll be pleased - when stuff breaks (engine and box) I'll upgrade and keep an eye out for some nice twin-scroll and/or rotated set-up (just don't tell the wife):norty:

JonMc 29 April 2015 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT (Post 11672296)
Just use any Subaru EJ non turbo water pump, like the Legacy, Impreza sport etc.

There are a few different types - 1 or 2 port and different 2-port configurations. I'm assuming you don't use the ones with the different thermostat housing but of the rest it is unclear which is best - I am about 4000 miles from the car at the moment hence why I can't get under the bonnet and work it out...

AS Performance 29 April 2015 08:36 AM

as Paul states the Turbo Auto's and various others use a straight forward pump without the modine take-off - nothing special and have been around for years

P1-Murph 01 May 2015 02:06 PM

How much out of curiosity was the spec c water pum?
Was it a genuine Subaru unit?

Looking to get one as i too have oil cooler and will be removing the modine.