ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   What's a decent vacuum cleaner? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1023783-whats-a-decent-vacuum-cleaner.html)

alcazar 27 April 2015 08:56 PM

What's a decent vacuum cleaner?

My brilliant luck continues. yesterday the bucket dropped off our Vax V-100, and landed on a wheel, which promptly broke off, taking a three inch diameter part of the bucket with it.
Result: no suction.:mad:

Been looking online.

I want something LIKE the Vax, a decent hoover with plenty of suction.

BUT: recent Vax offerings are being slated, for poor build quality, easily broken and absolutely awful customer service.

I'm not a Dyson fan, so won't be going down that particular road....their cylinder cleaners are only D-rated against almost everyone else's C-rating.

So what else? Numatic? But they are not even half the power of a Vax...:(
Miele? Expensive...... Hoover? Don't like Merloni products.

Anyone recommend anything, or even tell me what to avoid?

There seem to be some VERY expensive models out there, yet they do a similar job to the cheaper ones.

Oh....and I want something with a reusable bag....no throw away paper ones thanks.

TIA.

the shreksta 27 April 2015 09:50 PM

We bought a bissel at xmas, one for pets and it's freaking awesome.i too was put off by vax build quality. It's quite loud but who cares, the turbo tool attachment is awesome for curtains etc.

Think we paid £100 from argos for it.we bought it for when we moved into the new house that was apparently cleaned professionaly..........We ran the bissel over the carpets just to make sure it worked and was amazed by how much stuff it picked up from the so called clean carpets.

My only gripe is its not great on laminate/hard floors so we just sweep those areas.

Ian 27 April 2015 09:51 PM

is it for the home, just for the car, or everything?

I have a dyson for the home, but a henry for the car, as they have a long reach hose and can take a lot of abuse.

have used a karcher wet and dry one in the past, that was good

ALi-B 27 April 2015 10:07 PM

You are right about Numatic...got a new Henry in the workshop just over a year ago. That was to replace a Sealey piece of crap (lesson: EVERYTHING branded by Sealey is shyte) that in turn replaced a Karcher which shorted out its armature.

Its somewhat asthmatic; it ALWAYS turns on to low power "eco" mode when switching on. Annoying as hell. I mean...why would anyone want to vacuum at low power? Do you have your TV set to half brightness to save power? No, of course not. So why do it with a vacuum cleaner? It defeats the whole purpose of it :cuckoo:

Also the hose end where the attachments fit is starting split. Epoxy'd and cabled tied for now. Not impressed. Also I wouldn't use it bagless...the main filter as big as it is does eventually get overwhelmed and its an arse (messy) to clean out. The cheap paper bags split when filled with heavy debris, so its used with Hepa bags, which isn't too bad as they are cheap at the moment - got a big bulk box from Makro that worked out at 50p a bag, so that's ok as long as they stay cheap.

Vax....domestic stuff is bought in and branded. In Spain they are Dirt-Devils. Their bagless cyclones don't work...they just clog up the filters after a few uses (Dysons don't do this anywhere near as quickly).

They still makes the original Vax wet and dry. (big orange thing), I got an old Vax2000, which looks identical. The beauty of these is they can take cloth bags. As you say the newer ones probably aren't as good quality...

So my advice....

Buy some high quality 2 part epoxy and glue the can back together :D ....incidentally that's how the water reservoir is glued on my vax.

c_maguire 27 April 2015 10:20 PM

I have two Numatics, one is a Henry and the other the 'pro' Henry which is similar-ish but bigger and labelled Numatic. Both are pre the power drop so have the old style carpet attachment. Both are 1200W, the Henry always starting in 600W mode (like Ali said) whereas the other having a fixed switch so it runs in whatever power it is set to.
They are both very good, the leads are much longer than other vacuums and masonry dust is no problem. Using them bagless is idiotic (so I don't know what Ali is on about on that one) and the white HEPA bags are best.
No other vacuum I've used is anywhere near as good.

salsa-king 28 April 2015 06:59 AM

either go for another vax.. then they have their online sale on... £300 vax for £99 :)

or buy a SEBO

Devildog 28 April 2015 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11671865)
My brilliant luck continues. yesterday the bucket dropped off our Vax V-100, and landed on a wheel, which promptly broke off, taking a three inch diameter part of the bucket with it.
Result: no suction.:mad:

Been looking online.

I want something LIKE the Vax, a decent hoover with plenty of suction.

BUT: recent Vax offerings are being slated, for poor build quality, easily broken and absolutely awful customer service.

I'm not a Dyson fan, so won't be going down that particular road....their cylinder cleaners are only D-rated against almost everyone else's C-rating.

So what else? Numatic? But they are not even half the power of a Vax...:(
Miele? Expensive...... Hoover? Don't like Merloni products.

Anyone recommend anything, or even tell me what to avoid?

There seem to be some VERY expensive models out there, yet they do a similar job to the cheaper ones.

Oh....and I want something with a reusable bag....no throw away paper ones thanks.

TIA.

Miele. Don't f*ck about with sh1te products, Just bite the bullet and do it.

http://www.miele.co.uk/vacuum-cleaners/

Had them and Dysons. I'm happy with both but you've said no to Dyson so its your best option :thumb:

alcazar 28 April 2015 01:48 PM

I looked at Miele, but they are uber-expensive and have the same rating as cheaper stuff....so why?

Jamie 28 April 2015 01:52 PM

What he said ^ miele they are great.

Devildog 28 April 2015 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11672149)
I looked at Miele, but they are uber-expensive and have the same rating as cheaper stuff....so why?

Its not just about the "rating" Jeff

The 1600 watt one is £200. The design and build quality is excellent - right down to soft rubber wheels that don't drag across hard floors. Cleaning performance is excellent and better than the power ratings would suggest. Excellent filtration.

They have bags - fill and bin. Easy to get, change and cheap.

Quality costs - but I'd hardly say they are uber expensive.

Scoobynet - disproving the myth since 1998 that Scot's are tight when it comes to money

alcazar 28 April 2015 04:13 PM

£200 is a lot to pay for something the lads will drag round the garden cleaning out their cars.
Plus I object strongly to disposable bags.

I guess I'll have to either bite the bullet and buy another Vax semi-industrial one, or go Numatic.

wrx300scooby 28 April 2015 04:25 PM

Miele all the way, sorry:thumb:

alcazar 28 April 2015 07:46 PM

Again...would you be happy with a £200+ vacuum being dragged round the garden?

And picking up rubble after a DIY job?

I reckon it'll have to be Vax or Henry.

jameswrx 28 April 2015 07:47 PM

I'd say Miele too.

If you keep an eye on currys they have them on offer now and then. Yes they take bags and the Miele bags are expensive but you can get replica bags (not the real cheap ones) on ebay of similar material for not a lot of money.

Miele are crafty with their bags as they fit them with strips sewn across inside so you can't pull the contents out of the bag and reuse them, which you could easily do as the bags are material rather than paper.

I bought the Cat & Dog one and it comes with an extra floor head which is a full size turbo brush and it's superb on carpets.

I think I only paid about £155 for mine from currys.

Mind you, I have a Henry too and you can't go too far wrong with one of them. Might be worth considering if your lot are using them on the cars a lot.

LSherratt 28 April 2015 07:54 PM

Kerby :)

hux309 28 April 2015 07:54 PM

Got a sebo X1.1 i think and it's been brilliant.

500 28 April 2015 08:02 PM

Numatic, I have a George. picks up anything, comes with a full assortment of wet and dry tools, and a cloth bag, hepa bags, i use mine daily and its fantastic.

albob 28 April 2015 08:26 PM

"...Hoover? Don't like Merloni products..."

Hoover are part of the Candy group -- having said that, their vacs are now made in China and are a nothing like the products formerly produced in the UK :(

alcazar 28 April 2015 10:00 PM

Candy are, AFAIK, Merloni?

albob 28 April 2015 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11672421)
Candy are, AFAIK, Merloni?

No - merloni own indesit/hotpoint (amongst others !!) :: Electrolux own Zanussi

http://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/who-...shing-machine/

ScoobyWon't 28 April 2015 11:31 PM

http://img.misco.eu/resources/images..._1600x1600.jpg

Suits you, Sir.

BULLITT 29 April 2015 09:35 AM

Gtech AirRam powerful for its size, I have two cats that shed hair and it manages just fine. Emptying is a regular occupancy but it takes less than a minute to do and is a pretty clean/tidy affair. Battery lasts for ages, I can do my whole house about 3/4times before it needs recharging. Build quality is excellent too.

Only down side is no attachments so you need the handheld version as well, which means more storage space needed and price for both is £290. They do have a decent warranty and customer service is supposed to be excellent (I comment personally as I've not had to use it yet).

f1_fan 29 April 2015 12:06 PM

No idea if Henrys are the same as they were 20 years ago, but mine is still going strong despite being used bagless for all its life and doing 4 house renovations. Best £70 I ever spent!

kevo10 29 April 2015 12:26 PM

We use Henrys at the school where i work. Simple, hard wearing and very reliable. If you buy the George variant , it doubles up as a shampoer too.Cant rate them highly enough

ditchmyster 29 April 2015 12:45 PM

Another vote for Henry here, had mine about 8/9yrs has a switch on the side so what ever power it's set on it stays on, get's treated pretty rough too and always has done but still going, I wouldn't say it was uber powerful but it does the job, can't remember how much it cost but after 8yrs who cares.

alcazar 29 April 2015 05:02 PM

So what's with the Henry/George/James/Hetty/Charles variants? Not to mention the so-called industrial NRV20021.

And there's the Henry HVR200, vs the Henry HVX-200-A2????

albob 29 April 2015 07:05 PM

they all feature here !!

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5agxangx.jpg

dpb 29 April 2015 10:49 PM

Miele C2 at argos presently 99 quid

alcazar 30 April 2015 10:32 AM

Too small and not suitable for picking up rubble.

f1_fan 30 April 2015 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11672750)
So what's with the Henry/George/James/Hetty/Charles variants? Not to mention the so-called industrial NRV20021.

And there's the Henry HVR200, vs the Henry HVX-200-A2????

George is a four in one, Charles is wet, Henry is standard and there is an 'extra' variant of Henry with more attachments and maybe more power I think.

There is also a Henry branded Numatic.