ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Best budget Gauges (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1023757-best-budget-gauges.html)

timmy2take 27 April 2015 04:21 PM

Best budget Gauges

I'm not too keen on doing £300+ on gauges. I'm after: boost, oil temp & pressure.

Any suggestions?

All I can think off the top of my head that may be nice is the peak mode so you can see what it hit.

Filski 27 April 2015 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by timmy2take (Post 11671654)
I'm not too keen on doing £300+ on gauges. I'm after: boost, oil temp & pressure.

Any suggestions?

All I can think off the top of my head that may be nice is the peak mode so you can see what it hit.

Prosport will cost you around £150/200 pending on range

jay vr6 27 April 2015 04:56 PM

depo do a 4 in 1 gauge with all you need that a lot of owners have got,
http://www.fcp-engineering.com/wa-60...e-voltage.html

AWG 28 April 2015 09:04 AM

They look interesting, anybody running these?

timmy2take 28 April 2015 10:45 AM

Would rather have the separate gauges to be honest.

Will have a look into the prosport range as there seems to be loads

Thanks

Shaunby 300 28 April 2015 12:29 PM

+1 for prosport.

SAM-UK300 28 April 2015 04:02 PM

I would very much recommend the HDI gauges...

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...L_sEP6cwaQ.jpg

Ash 28 April 2015 04:31 PM

Prosport gauges off ebay they have a deal on at the moment 3 gauges for £122 delivered I have them and they are spot on chap

Sarg400 28 April 2015 04:57 PM

I would recommend these mine are spot on and easy to wire up

http://rspec.co.uk/b-gauges-b/steppe...07tsthmcous8g3

timmy2take 28 April 2015 05:23 PM

I like the look of the Hdi ones with the mechanical and digital display. Where did you get them from?

Will look into the others, thanks

SAM-UK300 28 April 2015 05:31 PM

This is where I got mine, Very good quality gauges and look superb...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDi-SOTG-D...item3ce555b389

I have oil temp, pressure and boost.

MrNoisy 28 April 2015 05:56 PM

Those HDi ones don't look bad.
The Prosport ones are pretty poor quality tbh.
I'm now on my second set (first was a set of steppers, now Evos) and thoroughly unimpressed by the utterly crap (and HUGE) senders they supply them with.
The oil temperature and pressure sensors seem okay but the boost ones apparently don't like water, moisture, or anything much and I've noted R-Spec (who are the UK supplier) have now suddenly introduced a waterproof one which makes me wonder - hmmm, fit for purpose?
My last boost sender failed and the current one is looking like it's starting to have a few issues as well.
My first fuel pressure sender lasted exactly one month and then stopped working and I'm waiting on a replacement adapter as the last 2 I've had from R-Spec developed hairline cracks.
The Evo series are designed more sensibly than the stepper ones and don't have the stupidly thin wiring the stepper gauges do, but the Evo series have no alarm function...
Unfortunately the plugs between the gauges on both have poor quality wiring - we're talking about 10 strands of cable, it's seriously nasty.
The Evo lighting also seems better than the Prosport stepper gauges - 2 out of my 3 stepper gauges had lighting failures within 3 years so they become harder to see when the only colour they'll light up is red :(

All in all, not a great experience. They say buy it once and buy it properly - so knowing what I know now I wish I'd just bought Defis or a Toucan.

jameswrx 28 April 2015 06:53 PM

Mate, did Paul mention (bloke you got the pod and downpipe from) he has boost, oil pressure and oil temperature gauges? All electronic, think they were pro sport. I had a look and all the sensors were there.

mickywrx 28 April 2015 07:35 PM

Defi or Stack if you want accuracy, Prosport etc if you want bling, IMO.

Dubzy 28 April 2015 07:45 PM

I use one of the 4 in 1 depo gauges, nice bit of kit for the price and does exactly what i need it to do.. As as extra advantage it also does a sweeping start calibration to match my speedo....

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/y...1/IMG_1061.jpg

b3nmw 28 April 2015 07:56 PM

Defies or toucan I'm going to go for. Can't decide yet

Dubzy 28 April 2015 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by b3nmw (Post 11672338)

Toucan now on my shopping list...great bit of kit..

TonyBurns 28 April 2015 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by b3nmw (Post 11672338)

You know you want some STI Genome defi's ;)

nortonscooby 29 April 2015 12:23 AM

Psi3 data monitor instead of gauges? Real time data from ecu and easier install. Mattybr5 had one forsale week or so back

b3nmw 29 April 2015 08:09 AM

Defis

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 11672374)
You know you want some STI Genome defi's ;)

I did look the other day, u have got a set for sale. Genome look gd but I think I would have bf with orange illumination as I'm changing the dash speedo cluster to hawkeye. Cheers

neil-h 29 April 2015 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by mickywrx (Post 11672320)
Defi or Stack if you want accuracy, Prosport etc if you want bling, IMO.

This was going to be my question, has anybody ever actually tested the calibration on the Prosport gauges? You see a lot of people saying they're good/cheap but no comments on actual accuracy and it's not something I've seen advertised either.

MrNoisy 29 April 2015 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11672534)
This was going to be my question, has anybody ever actually tested the calibration on the Prosport gauges? You see a lot of people saying they're good/cheap but no comments on actual accuracy and it's not something I've seen advertised either.

I've run mine on a dyno versus the in car boost gauge; the Prosport always reads slightly higher, so when the dyno says 1.5 or 1.6 the Prosport gauge normally reads 1.6 or 1.7 accordingly.
You gets what you pay for mate.

I like the idea of a Toucan, but I just don't like the finish to it, and it's too small.
I'd love JT Innovations to create a unit that'll fit into a dash pod as this would look much nicer, and have a larger screen.

Lunchmoney 30 April 2015 02:56 PM

Dont get gauges, get a new head unit and use Torque Pro to display "gauges" on the screen. Akin to this http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68038

Dubzy 30 April 2015 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lunchmoney (Post 11673220)
Dont get gauges, get a new head unit and use Torque Pro to display "gauges" on the screen. Akin to this http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68038

it dosnt display oil temp or oil pressure without sensors and gauges.

FMJ 30 April 2015 05:41 PM

I have fitted quite a few different sets to mine over the years and wish I had brought something expensive in the first place. Boost gauges I have been through 4 of them! All failed...

I am currently on Prosport touch and they are hit and miss.

Positive:
Look awesome.
Have an alarm function. I wouldn't bother with any guage that doesn't have an alarm function. You can't watch them all the time and the alarm can save your engine.
Are fairly accurate.
Fairly good customer support.
Reasonable price.
You are able to set two brightness settings so they dim with headlights on. This is great at night.

Negative:
Out of the three I have installed one of the touch sensitive buttons has been crap from day one. You have to jab it really hard and repeatedly to get it to work.

My boost gauge has lost half it's blue illumination so it goes a red/purple colour when set to blue. Which means I now can't use the set on blue.

The plugs are delicate.

The gauges are very fussy about power supply.

If you have them all wired up to come on with the ignition then the disruption of power during engine cranking causes them to go nuts.

Sometimes an odd one will simply change colour randomly and others times they will start to flash like a warning and then be stuck flashing until you turn the ignition off to reset them. The buttons lock out so this is the only way to cure it.

I complained about this and was told it was my car that was the issue.... well there is nothing wrong with my car and the battery and alternator have been changed in the time I have had the gauges and no difference. Also other people on the net have the same issue. So to solve it I fitted a switch to manually turn the gauges on after starting the engine. This stops the issue completely. You can still leave the memory live connected so you don't loose your settings.

So what would I recommend? For less money then Defi's? Nothing really. They will all be cheap and cheerful and all have issues. Prosport are great when they work.

MattyB1983 30 April 2015 06:11 PM

Defis aren't without their problems, ive seen quite a few threads about them playing up and many for sale threads on here and ebay selling them as spares or repairs.
Defis are obviously the better gauges to have but they are too much money.

I've had 2 sets of prosport steppers and have just recently bought another set. I've never had any issues with them and in my opinion they offer far better value for money than a Defi setup. You could buy 4 sets of brand new prosport steppers for the same cost as a second hand set of defis remember.

Barxy 30 April 2015 09:13 PM

What about HDI gauges? They look awesome and have a digital display too, and they dont seem ridiculously priced just quite difficult to get.

Fonzey 30 April 2015 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by FMJ (Post 11673312)
I have fitted quite a few different sets to mine over the years and wish I had brought something expensive in the first place. Boost gauges I have been through 4 of them! All failed...

I am currently on Prosport touch and they are hit and miss.

Positive:
Look awesome.
Have an alarm function. I wouldn't bother with any guage that doesn't have an alarm function. You can't watch them all the time and the alarm can save your engine.
Are fairly accurate.
Fairly good customer support.
Reasonable price.
You are able to set two brightness settings so they dim with headlights on. This is great at night.

Negative:
Out of the three I have installed one of the touch sensitive buttons has been crap from day one. You have to jab it really hard and repeatedly to get it to work.

My boost gauge has lost half it's blue illumination so it goes a red/purple colour when set to blue. Which means I now can't use the set on blue.

The plugs are delicate.

The gauges are very fussy about power supply.

If you have them all wired up to come on with the ignition then the disruption of power during engine cranking causes them to go nuts.

Sometimes an odd one will simply change colour randomly and others times they will start to flash like a warning and then be stuck flashing until you turn the ignition off to reset them. The buttons lock out so this is the only way to cure it.

I complained about this and was told it was my car that was the issue.... well there is nothing wrong with my car and the battery and alternator have been changed in the time I have had the gauges and no difference. Also other people on the net have the same issue. So to solve it I fitted a switch to manually turn the gauges on after starting the engine. This stops the issue completely. You can still leave the memory live connected so you don't loose your settings.

So what would I recommend? For less money then Defi's? Nothing really. They will all be cheap and cheerful and all have issues. Prosport are great when they work.

I've had a few quirks with the touches too, similar symptoms to yours.

Recently one of the three will just randomly reboot. Can't be a power outage as they're all daisychained, and it's not the last one in the chain that reboots!

I had my switches extended so they sit in my ashtray, but similar to you - one of mine isn't very responsive.

Fonzey 30 April 2015 10:54 PM

Does Toucan work on an OEM ECU?

Dubzy 30 April 2015 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Fonzey (Post 11673484)
Does Toucan work on an OEM ECU?

no mate