ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   "I am an immigrant" (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1023100-i-am-an-immigrant.html)

f1_fan 14 April 2015 08:17 AM

"I am an immigrant"

A new poster campaign celebrating the positives of immigration and the UK's multicultural society run by the 'Movement against xenophobia' and funded via crowd-funding has launched.

Nice timing for the election and will be interesting to see what certain parties say about it if anything.

Pro-immigration poster campaign launches across the UK

A good thing in my book :thumb:

neil-h 14 April 2015 08:32 AM

Right, where's Warren... :Suspiciou

warrenm2 14 April 2015 09:47 AM

Already had a Facebook argument with someone over this! Had to point out how it failed to mention Rotherham, Rochdale, Oldham, Oxford, Telford, et al and immigration should be seen in a larger context than this fluffy "immigrants are wonderful" campaign, like for example we need a new city of Hull every year!

MRSIMPSON 14 April 2015 09:58 AM

Nothing wrong with Immigrants, as the campaign shows, but I do believe immigration should be much more tightly controlled.

It's not sustainable to allow so many people into the country, sadly though immigration has become more an issue of this countries xenophobia rather than looking at how sustainable our NHS, and benefits systems are.

dpb 14 April 2015 10:00 AM

What exactly has that lot got to do with anything

f1_fan 14 April 2015 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by warrenm2 (Post 11664786)
Already had a Facebook argument with someone over this! Had to point out how it failed to mention Rotherham, Rochdale, Oldham, Oxford, Telford, et al and immigration should be seen in a larger context than this fluffy "immigrants are wonderful" campaign, like for example we need a new city of Hull every year!

But surely the converse of that is it should be seen in the larger context than 'immigrants are awful' because of a relatively small number of criminals who happen to be immigrants or of immigrant descent?

Tidgy 14 April 2015 10:15 AM

Was all going so well, and then a bus driver, which isn't an issue untill they said the U word lol

alcazar 14 April 2015 10:16 AM

The problem is, people say, let's control immigration properly, and all SOME people hear is "Immigrants = bad"

f1_fan 14 April 2015 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11664798)
The problem is, people say, let's control immigration properly, and all SOME people hear is "Immigrants = bad"

Yes, but the media and the politicians fan those flames as much as they can while pretending otherwise. You can't blame a lot of people for getting the wrong message really ... as much as I want to :D

alcazar 14 April 2015 10:19 AM

Nope.

ReallyReallyGoodMeat 14 April 2015 11:14 AM

Can't see many prisoners in them posters. Guess cherry picking is okay if it's pro-immigration.

neil-h 14 April 2015 11:20 AM

In what way is that any different to the "immigrants are all predatory sex offenders" argument that you've just presented? :facepalm:

Rescue Dude 14 April 2015 11:34 AM

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/ampp3d/...wkward-4573378

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...pssgnqwdgl.jpg

The ignorance on this forum is staggering!!

fawor 14 April 2015 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11664743)
A new poster campaign celebrating the positives of immigration and the UK's multicultural society run by the 'Movement against xenophobia' and funded via crowd-funding has launched.

Nice timing for the election and will be interesting to see what certain parties say about it if anything.

Pro-immigration poster campaign launches across the UK

A good thing in my book :thumb:

they use wrong word for EU migration
immigrant needs visa-outside EU
Yes You can use points system like in US but not for EU members im affraid:razz:

f1_fan 14 April 2015 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Rescue Dude (Post 11664854)

Sadly I think it's an indication of society in general. :(

ReallyReallyGoodMeat 14 April 2015 11:49 AM

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/ampp3d/...wkward-4573378

The ignorance on this forum is staggering!!

Perhaps not everyone bases the benefit of something purely on economics? Yet again, immigration purely being framed as an economic argument. For me economics is but one aspect of the debate.

alcazar 14 April 2015 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by fawor (Post 11664856)
they use wrong word for EU migration
immigrant needs visa-outside EU
Yes You can use points system like in US but not for EU members im affraid:razz:

We could have...if we'd put it in place when the first EE ones came...like all other EC countries except us, Sweden and Ireland did.

alcazar 14 April 2015 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat (Post 11664864)
Perhaps not everyone bases the benefit of something purely on economics? Yet again, immigration purely being framed as an economic argument. For me economics is but one aspect of the debate.

And this, of course, is true.

stilover 14 April 2015 01:09 PM

I'm an Immigrant
I came to Britain to live in my new House, claim loads of Benefits, clog up the NHS, and bread many children to I can collect more Benefits and qualify for an even larger home. All paid for by the Stupid British public who go out to work everyday.

That's what the posters should say.

neil-h 14 April 2015 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by stilover (Post 11664914)
I'm an Immigrant
I came to Britain to live in my new House, claim loads of Benefits, clog up the NHS, and bread many children to I can collect more Benefits and qualify for an even larger home. All paid for by the Stupid British public who go out to work everyday.

I take it somebodies copy of the Mail didn't get delivered this morning? ;)

ALi-B 14 April 2015 01:16 PM

:lol1:

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/004...051_xlarge.png

Rescue Dude 14 April 2015 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by stilover (Post 11664914)
I'm an Immigrant

As I said earlier, The ignorance on this forum is staggering!!

neil-h 14 April 2015 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rescue Dude (Post 11664920)
As I said earlier, The ignorance on this forum is staggering!!

The irony being the average immigrant would probably have managed to type in better English. :lol1:

Rescue Dude 14 April 2015 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11664922)
The irony being the average immigrant would probably have managed to type in better English. :lol1:

:Whatever_

Martin2005 14 April 2015 01:39 PM

What point is it you're trying to make?

Most immigrants are sex offenders?

You are one lost soul

dpb 14 April 2015 01:54 PM

No he's apparently a kipper,

Heading for high office. :lol1:

Turbohot 14 April 2015 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11664948)
No he's apparently a kipper,

Heading for high office. :lol1:

Nothing against Warren for his leaning, but an interesting term from you for the UKIP followers, dpb. Good one. :thumb: :D

It's like the old terms such as Liebour for the Labour and Cons for the Conservatives. :D

alcazar 14 April 2015 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 11664940)
What point is it you're trying to make?

Most immigrants are sex offenders?

You are one lost soul

He's not saying that at all, as you well know.

He's making the point that NOT all immigrants are a good thing.

madscoob 14 April 2015 05:56 PM

and if we don't build the 220'000 house's needed every year to house them, chance's are they won't come here will they, let's get the message out there that we are not building nice free house's for passengers :thumb:

neil-h 14 April 2015 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11665026)
He's not saying that at all, as you well know.

He's making the point that NOT all immigrants are a good thing.

So the list of places that Warren chose were completely random? Nah didn't think so.