ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   brakes....which ones???? (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/1022798-brakes-which-ones.html)

jebus82 08 April 2015 12:57 PM

brakes....which ones????

Hi guys, newbie to the forum go easy lol.

i have a gb270 and have encountered the age old problem of seized pistons on the front callipers. So im just looking for advice on brake upgrade v reconditioning? i do have plans to eventually upgrade the power to about 340bhp so do i get the callipers refurbed or bite the bullet and buy a bigger set? car still has the standard 18" wheels on. i do also need disc's and pads for the front as they are goosed.

cheers for any replies :notworthy

The Trooper 1815 08 April 2015 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by jebus82 (Post 11661246)
Hi guys, newbie to the forum go easy lol.

i have a gb270 and have encountered the age old problem of seized pistons on the front callipers. So im just looking for advice on brake upgrade v reconditioning? i do have plans to eventually upgrade the power to about 340bhp so do i get the callipers refurbed or bite the bullet and buy a bigger set? car still has the standard 18" wheels on. i do also need disc's and pads for the front as they are goosed.

cheers for any replies :notworthy

Call Godspeed Brakes (Ian Godney) or BiggRed who do refurbed 4 pots on exhange with stainless steel pistons.

Ian Godney is a busy bloke and runs his own rally cars but stick with it - http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/

Bigg Red - http://www.biggred.co.uk/

:thumb:

bigredrob 08 April 2015 01:55 PM

I changed the brake calipers and discs on my GB270 for the prodrive ones, the difference in feel, and stopping power is amazing, (set of callipers on ...bay now, 131472550127)

Godspeed Brakes 08 April 2015 02:26 PM

HI
Really depends on what you're looking to spend , and the use the car will see , if its day to day driving with some spirited driving now and again , you would get away with better discs and pads and a caliper refurb.
As an example , we offer reconditioned Subaru 4 pots for £235 on an exchange basis , all stainless pistons , new seals , and powder coated any colour you want , and have an offer on at the moment for front and rear grooved discs and kevlar pads for £235 , better pads are available for harder drivers.

I know you mentioned about changing the front discs , but if you leave the rears standard , they won't work as well , which puts more work on the fronts , which could overheat and fade them under hard use , its always advisable to do the front and rears , getting the rears doing more will help the car brake flatter as it won't nose dive so much.

If you are thinking about going bigger in the near future , you would be better off doing it now rather than spending our twice , we have this kit on offer at the moment , which for what you get is very good value , doesn't get any better than AP calipers

https://www.scoobynet.com/trader-ann...ts-1250-a.html

For £100 more we also offer this kit with 355mm discs to fit under 18" wheels

Cheers Ian

jebus82 08 April 2015 04:13 PM

cheers for the replies guys.

Ian i should have mentioned its a daily driver with the occasional blast and wont be getting tracked and i had already upgraded the discs and pads, EBC grooved front and rear discs and red stuff pads. The AP's would be nice but realistically they are probably outside my budget. :cry:

Once refurbed are the calipers reliable as i have lost a bit of confidence in there lifespan. Would they be more than enough for the above mentioned driving?

Gurj 19 April 2015 09:47 AM

I got my calipers re-furbished by Godspeed and they did a cracking job (some pics are in my car journal) They have been on the car for some time now, and no issues what so ever.

That said I am now beginning the slow road to more power, so will be looking to change them to brembos / others as eventually I will be taking my car to the nurburgring and wanting to do some uk track days too.

Ultimately it is your money, but if you think you are going 350 BHP or in the future even more I would go for the uprated calipers etc now rather than refurb

alcazar 20 April 2015 11:35 AM

If you go uprated, always bear in mind that bigger brakes often mean new wheels.

veerinder9 20 April 2015 07:41 PM

If you have 18s on im sure a set of brembos will do the trick. Ask matty b at mbdevelopments

bustaMOVEs 20 April 2015 07:45 PM

There were some 8 pot k sports somewhere today (think on FB for £500 notes for full set up)

gary81 20 April 2015 09:38 PM

Ian, I to have a Gb270 and am looking for a big brake upgrade, however I am a little concerned about the clearance on the inside of the wheel against the face of the caliper. I know that the standard wheels will not clear brembos but will definitely clear k sports. What are your thoughts on the AP's? do you think that they would clear?

Godspeed Brakes 21 April 2015 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by gary81 (Post 11668612)
Ian, I to have a Gb270 and am looking for a big brake upgrade, however I am a little concerned about the clearance on the inside of the wheel against the face of the caliper. I know that the standard wheels will not clear brembos but will definitely clear k sports. What are your thoughts on the AP's? do you think that they would clear?

Hi
We make our bells with maximum offset to take the discs in as far as possible before hitting the steering arm , by doing this is gives plenty of clearance between the inside of the spokes and outer caliper face , this is the problem with the Brembo's , the discs have a shallow bell on the disc , which then gives caliper clearance problems.

Our 330mm and 355mm kits with AP 6 pots will fit under your wheels

Cheers Ian

veerinder9 21 April 2015 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11668527)
There were some 8 pot k sports somewhere today (think on FB for £500 notes for full set up)

From peter bellend? Wouldn't bother

bustaMOVEs 21 April 2015 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by veerinder9 (Post 11668883)
From peter bellend? Wouldn't bother

Can't remember who, but yeah forget it :lol1: