ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Starter motor? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1022216-starter-motor.html)

lloydsound 27 March 2015 10:03 PM

Starter motor?

I don't actually think itfeels like the starter motor but for the last two nights now once I've finished work I try to turn the car on and it turns over but doesn't actually want to start until about the 2nd or 3rd time, and when it does start it only just about makes it. Once warm it's fine, if it was the starter motor then wouldn't it be clicking?

jura11 27 March 2015 10:17 PM

Hi there

Did you rule out battery as first and then alternator ?

Not sure if I don't have still at home our old one,but if yes then you can have this one for free,I will check that later on

Thanks,Jura

lloydsound 27 March 2015 10:27 PM

Thanks mate I have a brand new high powered battery :-)

ronjeramy 28 March 2015 12:41 AM

That's odd my car is the same, battery's less that 12 months old and branded, Bosch I think

lloydsound 28 March 2015 12:44 AM

Engine is ****ed, just doesn't wanna live any more!!!!! £3,000 on preventative measures!!!!!!!!

CutMasterT 28 March 2015 04:49 AM

Didn't you just get this back from Slowboy? What do you mean its fked? Wont start?

lloydsound 28 March 2015 10:05 AM

Got it back from Slowboy two weeks ago but Neil didn't come across the problem, it wasn't that bad then, although I was still suspicious. I loathe to replace the starter motor if it's not that, dunno what else it could
Be

CutMasterT 28 March 2015 10:25 AM

Could be easy enough to sort out, get it recovered back to slowboy and get them to check it out.

You spent £3k on it already?

lloydsound 28 March 2015 11:22 AM

Yeah just shy, although almost a grand of that was chasing my tail with these hoses, before actually getting them done

jonnyricer2 28 March 2015 02:41 PM

Is it slow to turn over?? Or turn key nothing nothing the third time turns over??

Had a problem once and nsf cylinder was hydraulicing full with water due to had gasket gone

But when warm would start ok due to nothing in the cylinder.

Just a thought.

lloydsound 28 March 2015 03:35 PM

When I turn the key it instantly turns and tries to start and after keeping he key turned for more than give seconds I turn it off, and then try again and it sometimes needs a third time, but usually on the 2nd time it starts begrudgingly, just about peters in.

If there is any possibility of this being gasket/something rubber related then I'm sure it is exactly that as I've so many rubbers needing replacing, from every hose to the roof sill

kevo10 28 March 2015 07:28 PM

If its turning over straight away, it doesn. t sound like the starter. id check all the grounds fr cleanliness and tightness. Remove and clean the crank and cam sensors too.

scoobyJim2 28 March 2015 10:00 PM

May be grounds!
But try tickling the accelerator when its not firing,mine sometimes needs that when its sat for a day or two

lloydsound 28 March 2015 10:06 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, although i know such little about cars that gonna have to get Neil to look at the bits you've advised, it's a tough one because it won't struggle to start if I take it to him as it will be warm, unless if course in surrender the car to him again

scoobyJim2 28 March 2015 10:11 PM

Mine only does it occasionally,usually when its sat for a while. I turn key,it goes to start then dies,then 2nd turn no start without a little bit of throttle. Sometimes if i prime the fuel pump sometimes twice,it doesn't have problem starting

lloydsound 28 March 2015 10:13 PM

I can try that too

scoobyJim2 28 March 2015 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by lloydsound (Post 11655304)
I can try that too

Good luck 👍

jonnyricer2 28 March 2015 10:50 PM

Something silly like coolant temp.sensor fault not giving enough fuel when cold.

CutMasterT 28 March 2015 10:58 PM

Could be that the map needs tweaking or looking at for cold start?

Mine has pretty poor cold start issues, here's some of the things you might want to look at:

Clean IACV and replace gasket
Coolant Temp Sensor
Crank Sensor
Fuel Pump

You're best off leaving it with Neil to look at and investigate from cold.

ronjeramy 29 March 2015 12:49 AM

Think I've sorted mine, as above bad earth on my sub in the boot, I've moved it about to get stuff in the boot and have pulled at the cable reconnected it properly and everything seems to be ok. :)

scoobyJim2 29 March 2015 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by ronjeramy (Post 11655386)
Think I've sorted mine, as above bad earth on my sub in the boot, I've moved it about to get stuff in the boot and have pulled at the cable reconnected it properly and everything seems to be ok. :)

Can i ask,why would earth on sub affect starting? Aren't your wires to sub straight from battery for live and just a good earth somewhere in the boot etc. With a remote live to turn amp/sub on,being either a switch or connected to come on with stereo?

Jonnys3 20 April 2015 11:28 AM

Did you ever get this resolved ? Mine has not been started all weekend and now shows exactly the same symptom.

ronjeramy 21 April 2015 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyJim2 (Post 11655399)
Can i ask,why would earth on sub affect starting? Aren't your wires to sub straight from battery for live and just a good earth somewhere in the boot etc. With a remote live to turn amp/sub on,being either a switch or connected to come on with stereo?

No idea, I had been moving the sub/amp around, checked the connection and it wasn't very good, sorted it out and the staring issue cleared up.

XDevil666 22 April 2015 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by ronjeramy (Post 11669193)
No idea, I had been moving the sub/amp around, checked the connection and it wasn't very good, sorted it out and the staring issue cleared up.

Dodgy things are sub/amp on one of my cars years ago MG ZR I put a sub and amp in blew my dam alternator a few days later

scoobyJim2 24 April 2015 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by ronjeramy (Post 11669193)

Maybe the live and remote live were touching,causing amp to stay on permantly and draining battery

scoobyJim2 24 April 2015 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by XDevil666 (Post 11669201)
Dodgy things are sub/amp on one of my cars years ago MG ZR I put a sub and amp in blew my dam alternator a few days later

It's possible some alternators can't cope with running a high powered system

scoobyJim2 24 April 2015 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by XDevil666 (Post 11669201)

I jump started someones big old rover years ago with my cavalier and it blew my alternator!