ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Engine Management and ECU Remapping (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/)
-   -   How long does mapping take? (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/1021722-how-long-does-mapping-take.html)

jaygsi 18 March 2015 08:16 PM

How long does mapping take?

Just wondered how long it takes to get your car remapped?

Seen a few video's on youtube and never seem long

yabbadoo4 18 March 2015 08:27 PM

i think it depends on if there are any problems encountered during the session. my wagon was mapped by andy f on an apexi and commander in around an hour or so. i think with ecutek a base map of similar spec and mods is uploaded to the ecu and then tweaked. a map from scratch would take hours i would think. on mapping days they do 4 or 5 cars barring any car having major probs.

Jaysz 18 March 2015 09:08 PM

Last time I had mine mapped took about 30 minutes to do 2 cars lol friends car didn't last long and I have tweaked mine as just doing fourth gear pulls doesn't do enough

BBB3 18 March 2015 09:57 PM

Mapping my spec c took a while :)

bustaMOVEs 18 March 2015 09:59 PM

Doing a group mapping session is never something I would want to be involved in, I'd want all attention on my car, I'd say upto 3 hours to do it properly

BBB3 18 March 2015 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11648346)
Doing a group mapping session is never something I would want to be involved in, I'd want all attention on my car, I'd say upto 3 hours to do it properly

Totally agree, Clive Atthowe had my car for a couple of weeks, he started from scratch mapping mine ( and as a in between while he was quiet ) I couldn't be happier and highly recommend him. The amount of time he put into my car is unreal.

jaygsi 18 March 2015 10:46 PM

3 hours :eek:

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11648346)

Shaun 18 March 2015 11:25 PM

jaygsi,
Bob Rawle spent a full day (over two days - half a day road mapping and half a day dyno and final road checks) to map my last STI.

It all depends on your modification level and what you actually want doing.

domino46 19 March 2015 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 11648403)
jaygsi,
Bob Rawle spent a full day (over two days - half a day road mapping and half a day dyno and final road checks) to map my last STI.

It all depends on your modification level and what you actually want doing.

+1
Bob spends a full day on mine aswell ,, in the past iv asked to sneak on the end of someone else's mapping session and he has always told me there isn't enough time but I'd prefer someone to take there time and get it right

Group mapping is not for me for this reason

jaygsi 19 March 2015 01:59 PM

So guessing it will take an hour for a fairly standard remap, my Impreza only has a few mods

Tidgy 19 March 2015 02:01 PM

takes as long as it takes, an hour to days. If mapper finds faults they may need to be sorted (be amazed how many dodgy sensors get found) rather than just mapped around. Anyone trying to do 5+ cars in a day should be avoided like the plauge

jaygsi 19 March 2015 02:12 PM

Ok fair enough, get what you mean

ZaKv1 20 March 2015 01:12 PM

arrived at RCMs dyno 12pm, left 5.30pm with no faults :D my phone bat died at 2pm so I was board sh1tless until my car went on the dyno..

my cousins blob took 2days in total due to finding faulty sensors etc..

andy.downes 20 March 2015 01:25 PM

About an hour for Stage 1 WRX with Duncan. Pleased to see it get out all in one piece as they don't go steady !!

jaygsi 23 March 2015 10:40 PM

Was that on dyno Andy?

Thats what i don't like, people thrashing my car, be tempted to give them a slap :mad:

Originally Posted by andy.downes (Post 11649375)
About an hour for Stage 1 WRX with Duncan. Pleased to see it get out all in one piece as they don't go steady !!

ossett2k2 23 March 2015 10:46 PM

To map your car properly it's going to have to go in to the redline a few time jay.
The car is built to handle a good old thrashing so don't worry about it mate :)

jaygsi 23 March 2015 11:10 PM

I know i know :(

Just still chesses me off, its like you letting someone kissing your lady while you watch :lol1:

Originally Posted by ossett2k2 (Post 11651703)
To map your car properly it's going to have to go in to the redline a few time jay.
The car is built to handle a good old thrashing so don't worry about it mate :)

ossett2k2 23 March 2015 11:14 PM

Lol
Don't watch! It'll be like it never happened...what happens on the map club stays on the map club!
Just when you take her out again she will be more racey :D

jaygsi 23 March 2015 11:30 PM

Looks like i will have to take a long walk :mad:

riiidaa 23 March 2015 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by ossett2k2 (Post 11651732)
Lol
Don't watch! It'll be like it never happened...what happens on the map club stays on the map club!
Just when you take her out again she will be more racey :D

FLMAO

ditchmyster 24 March 2015 07:14 AM

It's not for the faint hearted that's for sure and there's the risk too, he might be a better kisser. :lol1:

jaygsi 24 March 2015 12:33 PM

:lol1:

You read my thoughts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11651819)
It's not for the faint hearted that's for sure and there's the risk too, he might be a better kisser. :lol1:

andy.downes 24 March 2015 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 11651699)
Was that on dyno Andy?

Thats what i don't like, people thrashing my car, be tempted to give them a slap :mad:

On a dyno. Not thrashed, Duncan did exactly what he needed to do. I do drive reasonably pedestrian so seeing the girl go full-chat did hurt a little !!

jaygsi 24 March 2015 01:40 PM

Last time i thrashed it was to warm up cat for mot, and it ran abit lumpy after.

Luckily only coil pack i changed that and worked fine, must have finished it off

arumdevil 30 March 2015 03:58 PM

I've been reading quite a lot of technical stuff lately about fuel trims, ECU loging etc to help diagnose a bad fuelling/misfire problem I had, and I've realised there is SO much knowledge and experience needed to go into a decent and safe remap. SO MUCH!

And even for an experienced mapper, there are so many variables, possible bad sensors, failing fuel pumps, dirty filters, even little boost leaks, so many things that can throw a spanner int he works, not to mention that the remap really needs doing and fine-tuning for many different scenarios (light load, mid-load, heavy load, WOT, partial throttle, etc etc).

I'd be more happy knowing that someone had spent the best part of a day, or more if necessary and got the job done properly, than to expect it done in an hour for peanuts. It's just not worth it.

ossett2k2 31 March 2015 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by arumdevil (Post 11656393)
I've been reading quite a lot of technical stuff lately about fuel trims, ECU loging etc to help diagnose a bad fuelling/misfire problem I had, and I've realised there is SO much knowledge and experience needed to go into a decent and safe remap. SO MUCH!

And even for an experienced mapper, there are so many variables, possible bad sensors, failing fuel pumps, dirty filters, even little boost leaks, so many things that can throw a spanner int he works, not to mention that the remap really needs doing and fine-tuning for many different scenarios (light load, mid-load, heavy load, WOT, partial throttle, etc etc).

I'd be more happy knowing that someone had spent the best part of a day, or more if necessary and got the job done properly, than to expect it done in an hour for peanuts. It's just not worth it.

This is why in my opinion self mapping is the way forward :thumb:
You have all the time in the world plus can log every scenario to your hearts content,this way you really do end up with the perfect tailored map.

bludgod 31 March 2015 11:09 AM

I think that can depend on the car setup as well though, if your a regular WRX say going to a sportscat and free flowing exhaust then PPP map has you pretty much there. You'd only need to confrim fuelling with the wideband and make sure it's not knocking (which would be unlikely given that the PPP timing isn't much over stock timing and was also sold in the UK).

It's when you get into the non-standard/irregular things that you'll need to be at it all day like a 2.1 stroker or a unique set of cams, maybe a strange and unusual intake etc. that would add in more time than usual.

This assumes that your healthcheck is showing that all is well before any changes are made but again most folk will be taking some data beforehand to be sure the car is running as it should, I've seen a few cars now that have had vac hoses popped off or small leaks that have gone unnoticed until the laptops been hooked up.