ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Sport (https://www.scoobynet.com/sport-35/)
-   -   6 Nations Rugby (https://www.scoobynet.com/sport-35/1021537-6-nations-rugby.html)

Paben 15 March 2015 08:20 AM

6 Nations Rugby

I played this game at school and have always enjoyed watching the big games. Unfortunately, for me the referee decisions are impenetrable and I have no idea how they make their rulings, especially where the scrums are concerned. The Wales-Ireland match was an example of this, with the referee practically deciding the outcome of the game. Worse, I suspect the players have little idea about many of the decisions and from the remarks of the commentators they are frequently baffled too. It makes for very unsatisfactory viewing!

dpb 15 March 2015 09:44 AM

Aye, it's not as simple as football or F1. - thank goodness , which makes it worth watching

I certainly don't understand half the infringement though

I'm just amazed the players were even able to walk away after the Wales Ireland match - they must have been sooo exhausted.

neil-h 15 March 2015 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11646254)
Aye, it's not as simple as football or F1. - thank goodness , which makes it worth watching

I certainly don't understand half the infringement though

I'm just amazed the players were even able to walk away after the Wales Ireland match - they must have been sooo exhausted.

Keeps the riff raff out ;)

Maz 15 March 2015 10:25 AM

Watch the right code, far easier to see what's happening. ;)
In fairness it's hard for the camera and commentators to see the action underneath a pile of writhing bodies. The ref is right there and often peering underneath the ruck to see if there's an infringement. The viewer or commentator is not offered the same vantage point until an action replay shows the event.

The Trooper 1815 16 March 2015 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Paben (Post 11646230)
I played this game at school and have always enjoyed watching the big games. Unfortunately, for me the referee decisions are impenetrable and I have no idea how they make their rulings, especially where the scrums are concerned. The Wales-Ireland match was an example of this, with the referee practically deciding the outcome of the game. Worse, I suspect the players have little idea about many of the decisions and from the remarks of the commentators they are frequently baffled too. It makes for very unsatisfactory viewing!

It is a great spectacle to watch. The fact the referee as a live mic, is respected, his decisions can be monitored (and overuled by the TMO) make it even better.

The Wales vs Ireland game was by no means a classic but it was an epic battle of attrition, skill and guile from two very committed teams. They played themselves to a stand still and not a single fake fall or hand bag was thrown shows football how it should be done.

I watched the under 20's match on Friday, the skills and attitude also bode well for the future of the game.

Cultured violence played by respectful gentlemen. But my concern is the contact is now so brutal that injuries will break players early.

b3nmw 16 March 2015 04:59 PM

Both of the games were gd, makes a change

neil-h 21 March 2015 03:14 PM

Well that looks like the end of the 6 nations gents :brickwall:brickwall:brickwall

Cpt Jack Sparrow 21 March 2015 03:49 PM

Far from the end

dpb 21 March 2015 06:24 PM

Some great games today

including this one , :D

Cpt Jack Sparrow 21 March 2015 08:17 PM

211 points in total scored today, what a great day of Rugby

M444GY 21 March 2015 08:39 PM

awesome rugby spectacle ! well done Ireland

grahamc 21 March 2015 10:14 PM

absolutely great day of rugby!!! I think the Welsh game set the day for some awesome games and a shame they couldnt take it, but Ireland deserved it - congrats to them!

daviee 21 March 2015 10:23 PM

Thank god us scots are good at football ...........oh hang on sh!te at that too will settle for going a bike and hitting a furry green ball:D

Dirk Diggler 75 21 March 2015 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11650264)
Some great games today

including this one , :D

Agreed, shame England couldn't quite pull it off ......

dpb 23 March 2015 02:35 PM

73-3 for the irish wimmins

Whaaaaat! Haha

The Trooper 1815 23 March 2015 03:31 PM

There are some great clips on You Tube of Nigel Owens speaking to the english players. The respect afforded the ref is something kissball could benefit from.

It was an epic day with a true gladiatorial attitude to the games played. I was horse by 6.30pm with my Irish son in law sending me text messages in drunkanese for most of the England match.

I hope the RWC can keep up the standards but FFS ITV get some decent commentators.

:thumb: You never beat Wales, you just score more points :thumb:

Cpt Jack Sparrow 23 March 2015 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11651370)
:thumb: You never beat Wales, you just score more points :thumb:

That is so true, love that quote....:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: