ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Talk to me about private reg's need info (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1021535-talk-to-me-about-private-regs-need-info.html)

bustaMOVEs 15 March 2015 12:31 AM

Talk to me about private reg's need info

Right, I'm buying a car with a private plate on it.
I want to sell this plate.
Does the current owner need to remove it prior to sale (retention etc) and put normal plate back on and then hand me the cetiefcate for private plate to make it mine to sell on?
Or can I buy the car as it is and sort myself and put normal plate back on and get certificate to sell on?

I've never dealt in private plates so bit of advice please on how to go about it.
Thanks

piehole1983 15 March 2015 12:34 AM

Just buy the car, put the plate on retention yourself or else transfer directly to the new buyers car. I believe both cars need to be taxed and have MOT in that case.

https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehi...tration-number

bustaMOVEs 15 March 2015 12:49 AM

I though current owner needs to put me as nominee or something?

piehole1983 15 March 2015 12:52 AM

Not if you own the car it's on. If you've got the V5 in your name you're good to go.

bustaMOVEs 15 March 2015 12:57 AM

Ah yes I see, so buy the car, pay £80 with relevant forms to get it on retention and then I can sell it? Do I have to put the buyers name on it prior to applying for this?

piehole1983 15 March 2015 12:59 AM

That's the one. No, it just goes on retention and then the buyers name is added later by you, written on the certificate. Or, if you can wait, you can transfer directly to the buyers car without going on retention.

piehole1983 15 March 2015 01:00 AM

Fancy sending me a PM of what the plate is?

bustaMOVEs 15 March 2015 01:01 AM

Nice one cool.
So it can wait once I've received v5 in my name.

Btw reg is - deleted

piehole1983 15 March 2015 01:05 AM

It certainly can. Once you've the V5 back in your name it's all go.

Nice plate, not for me though with my crap old UK Turbo lol

The Pink Ninja 15 March 2015 03:27 PM

Make sure the car if its an import wasnt registered on the plate on its arrival as you wont be able to remove it, I enquired about one a few years back and was told as it was the first plate to go on the car...the one it was registered on... it could not be transferred or removed.

Oh and btw its £105 including the admin fee, You just need a V317, Mot & V5 ;)

PaulC72 15 March 2015 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja (Post 11646424)
Make sure the car if its an import wasnt registered on the plate on its arrival as you wont be able to remove it, I enquired about one a few years back and was told as it was the first plate to go on the car...the one it was registered on... it could not be transferred or removed.

It's £80 to transfer direct & £25 for retention which is changing to every 5 or 10 years from what I read the other day....

As said above check the plate can actually be transferred.

bustaMOVEs 15 March 2015 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja (Post 11646424)

Ah ok, i pretty sure he bought the plate but ill find out now, if it was put on while in uk is that ok?

riiidaa 15 March 2015 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by PaulC72 (Post 11646429)
It's £80 to transfer direct & £25 more for retention which is changing to every 5 or 10 years from what I read the other day....

As said above check the plate can actually be transferred.

EFA iirc

The Pink Ninja 15 March 2015 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11646439)
Ah ok, i pretty sure he bought the plate but ill find out now, if it was put on while in uk is that ok?

If the car was registered on another plate then he put this private plate on yes it would be removable.

bustaMOVEs 15 March 2015 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja (Post 11646490)
If the car was registered on another plate then he put this private plate on yes it would be removable.

Cool, yes hes confirmed he put it on.
Thanks

bustaMOVEs 31 March 2016 07:00 PM

Bumping this one up please.
I'm going to remove plate off car via the online service, now will I get my new reg instantly once done? So I can put new plate on car straight away?
Or do I have to wait for paperwork to come via post first?
And what about mot and tax as mine will show my old reg? Will that update on database automatically and no need to sort?

bustaMOVEs 31 March 2016 07:00 PM

Obviously I know I'll have to let insurance know.

The Pink Ninja 31 March 2016 07:10 PM

Wait for the paperwork dude, let the insurance company know when they are fitted, your current tax if it's dd will continue but you may have to renew the direct debit when it runs out as it'll have the wrong plate reference on it, if it's paid for already they 'should' sort it for you.

bustaMOVEs 31 March 2016 07:37 PM

I was under impression that new plate is given on receipt online of removing so you can use straight away? Just paperwork comes in post as confirmation.?

I pay my tax annually or 6 moths upfront no DD, what will I have to do in regards to that?
And mot showing Wong reg, mot recently been done too

The Pink Ninja 31 March 2016 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11815563)
I was under impression that new plate is given on receipt online of removing so you can use straight away? Just paperwork comes in post as confirmation.?

I pay my tax annually or 6 moths upfront no DD, what will I have to do in regards to that?
And mot showing Wong reg, mot recently been done too

Ahh I've not done it online could be as you say then mate, they should change everything but not sure if you'll get a replacement mot as I don't think I did? Everything's visible online these days.

piehole1983 31 March 2016 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja (Post 11815660)
Ahh I've not done it online could be as you say then mate, they should change everything but not sure if you'll get a replacement mot as I don't think I did? Everything's visible online these days.

I did get a replacement MOT certificate with the new reg showing and a stamp saying cherished transfer on it. I'm in Northern Ireland and I didn't do it online though.

daF1rby 31 March 2016 10:07 PM

You get a reference number now, so can do your next step straight away ;-)
No need to get MOT re-stamped now either