ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Apples Watch and stuff (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/1021297-apples-watch-and-stuff.html)

JackClark 10 March 2015 07:21 PM

The Android based watches are ****, thanks for confirming what we already knew, now save your money next time, I did tell you "buy cheap, buy twice".

jonc 10 March 2015 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11642877)
I wish this one was £500 but straps are bloody expensive, not just Apple straps.

http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-watch/.../A&step=detail

So I'm getting this one

http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-watch/.../A&step=detail

:lol1: Only Apple would charge you £600+ for a steel strap for a watch that last only 18 hours (which, going by iPhone experience, means turning everything off!) or, in the real world, 7 hours if you "use" it. :lol1:

jonc 10 March 2015 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Beef (Post 11642972)
Must admit that's the one Apple invention I really, really wish was more readily available.

I see two outcomes:

1) They are planning to release USB-C cables that have a magnetic clasp somewhere through their length. Downside here is that non-Apple customers will buy them for use on non-Apple devices, and one of the Macbook USP's fades.
2) They're planning something else for MagSafe - but their challenge will be to maintain compatibility.

I wish they'd done a Tesla on this one and opened up the patent to everyone - would have been a hell of a PR coup.

What USB-C does do is sound the death knell of Apple's recent invention, its proprietary Thunderbolt and Lightning, very very frightening! :D

chrisowe 10 March 2015 08:33 PM

So nobody's getting the watch Edition then? Call yourself Apple fanboy's.

JackClark 10 March 2015 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by chrisowe (Post 11643346)
So nobody's getting the watch Edition then? Call yourself Apple fanboy's.

I would but you're going to have to get up early to get one so will pass this time.

Markus 10 March 2015 10:26 PM

The new MacBook stuff was interesting. ForceTouch on the trackpad, well, I can see the 6S and 6S Plus coming with that as well.

I'm not overly fussed about the watch. Anyone who knows me, knows that I do rather like my Apple stuff (5K Retina iMac is being eyed up at the moment), but I just cannot get excited about the watch. I mean no disrespect at all to those working on it, among them one of my friends, but it's not really something I'm overly interested in.

I have a watch, I've taken off the original strap and have a variety of rather nice NATO straps for it, which does jazz it up a little bit. I wear it during the week at work, but it comes off when I get home, and it would be very rare for me to wear it at the weekend.

It shows me the time and the date. That's all I need or want from it. I may need to change the battery every couple of years, but that's about it.

I don't need, desire, or want the health aspects of the watch.

Yes, there are some interesting aspects of it, not having to take your phone out to see notifications and such, however, I don't need the interactive aspect of it. If I want to reply to something, or answer a call, I'll take the phone out of my pocket.

Price does also come into it. If I were to get one, it'd be the black stainless one with black link braclet. That's $1459, before tax (13%) For comparison, my 128GB iPhone 6 Plus, including Apple Care and taxes was $1332. I, and no doubt others consider that a stupid amount for a phone, so for a watch to be more than that, especially before adding in taxes, just seems daft.

RobJenks 11 March 2015 05:36 AM

Apparently the watch is not waterproof - just water resistant ,utter waste of time and money

Definition industry standards.

Water Resistant: Will resist moisture from accidental splashing, rain, sweat, etc.

Water Resistant 30M: Will resist moisture and can be submerged, no swimming

Water Resistant 50M: Will resist moisture and can also be worn while swimming in shallow water.

Water Resistant 100M: Watch may be worn during snorkeling, skin-diving, and swimming.

Water Resistant 200M: (plus): Watch may be worn during standard scuba diving.

Water Resistant 1000M: Watch may be worn for deep sea diving.

Watch manufacturers use other terms to measure water resistance:

A.T.M. (atmosphere), where 1 A.T.M. equals 10 metres.

JackClark 11 March 2015 09:54 AM

Oh no! I won't be able to wear it in the bath, just the shower, that really is an utter waste of money and is going to make me have a rethink. Previously I didn't think you could wear it in the shower, this changes things.

JackClark 11 March 2015 09:55 AM

This is from the Apple web page.

2. Apple Watch is splash and water resistant but not waterproof. You can, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise, in the rain, and while washing your hands, but submerging Apple Watch is not recommended. Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. The leather bands are not water resistant.

dpb 11 March 2015 10:27 AM

As long as you've got your iphone ( in this case) with you

I.e. . Armchair fitness fanatic

(with an aversion to swimming)

JackClark 11 March 2015 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11643711)
As long as you've got your iphone ( in this case) with you

I.e. . Armchair fitness fanatic

(with an aversion to swimming)

Most fitness functions are independent of the iPhone, as are music and photos and a good few other things, you won't need your iPhone for a workout, I'm sure you're relieved.

dpb 11 March 2015 10:44 AM

Does it come with its own headphones and heart rate sensor belt ?

Puff The Magic Wagon! 11 March 2015 11:16 AM

8.2 out last night and the little teases stick an Apple Watch App on your screen. That's nearly 2 months before you might actually get one that you've got to look at it but not be able to use it...

JackClark 11 March 2015 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11643723)
Does it come with its own headphones and heart rate sensor belt ?

You'll need to buy your own headphones, heart rate monitoring is built in so no need for a belt.

JackClark 11 March 2015 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon! (Post 11643745)
8.2 out last night and the little teases stick an Apple Watch App on your screen. That's nearly 2 months before you might actually get one that you've got to look at it but not be able to use it...

I'm guessing it's 'just in case' they don't release an update in that time, this one was early for security reasons, there was another 8.1.* in the pipeline.

stevebt 11 March 2015 08:19 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31832108

dpb 11 March 2015 09:09 PM

26 quid seems a lot more reasonable

So it lacks a heart beat monitor.

But come on , that is gimmick in any ones book

Jamo 11 March 2015 09:34 PM

There's one for £12k ffs

Geezer 12 March 2015 02:39 PM

I'm sure Apple will sell a bucket load of these initially because all the iSheep will buy them, regardless of any actual need. They'll all end up with £300+ watches they never use. Great for Tim Cook and the shareholders, though.

However, on a more serious note, all smartwatch makers face a struggle because younger people generally don't wear watches.

Also, people will look a tw@t using a smartwatch as a phone, or even speaking in to to it use Siri, and once negate those, you can get much cheaper watches to do bespoke functions. Fitness is the obvious one, get a much better one, fully weatherproofed etc for cheaper.

No one is going to play games on a watch, too many games need two hands, the screen is too small etc. If you have to take it off, what's the point?

The only real thing they seems useful for is the payment systems.

JackClark 12 March 2015 02:43 PM

You have little to no idea what you're talking about. Your rants remind me of the iPhone launch, same drivel, just as wrong.

Geezer 12 March 2015 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11644583)
You have little to no idea what you're talking about. Your rants remind me of the iPhone launch, same drivel, just as wrong.

Of course Jack, spoken like a true Apple fanboi. Thing is, it's not just me that is saying it though.

If you want to drop several hundred pounds on a trinket with limited use, be my guest.

TonyBurns 12 March 2015 03:28 PM

iwatch, well what a useless piece of crap that is, and i will say the same about the android ones, they are just not good enough to replace anything, you are better off with a standard watch or a specific watch for what you need, 3 hours running as a phone?! useless, 18 hours max, well its dead before you get off a long journey, this tech has a long way to go before its going to be common place, for the moment its just not worth it, its a start but far from a decent product worth paying any cash for.

New macbook on the other hand is very nice, not exactly ground breaking because pretty much everything else has been offered or already done by other companies (google/levano to name a couple), but you have to ask yourself one question, is this a move by apple to make a lightweight macbook an indication that (note pc's) tablets are not selling as well as they use to or is it just trying to cover all bases, in which case when one outsells the other then one will be binned.

Nothing new innovation wise, wouldnt waste money on the watch but if you dont have an ipad and wanted something else whilst on the move, the macbook would be a good investment, its just a shame the competition are making better (more powerful none Core M) and lighter....

JackClark 12 March 2015 04:12 PM

An expected positive twist from TonyBurns.

Come back to this thread in a couple of years, see how wrong you were... again.

Nothing innovative in the new Macbook! ****ing LOL.

TonyBurns 12 March 2015 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11644625)
An expected positive twist from TonyBurns.

Come back to this thread in a couple of years, see how wrong you were... again.

Nothing innovative in the new Macbook! ****ing LOL.

Well go have a look, shows how behind the times you are Jack (as per usual :rolleyes: )

TonyBurns 12 March 2015 04:30 PM

USB-C connector, MSI announced it was putting this on its gaming laptops due to be shipped in March 2015 (announced Jan 2015, 3 months before Apple).

Levano, announced its lightest laptops ever, one with a touchscreen comes in at 2.04lbs, one without comes in even lighter at 1.74lbs, again, january 2015 (these also dont use the core M processor but the full fat Intel 5th gen chips).

Innovation from Apple? Where??

JackClark 12 March 2015 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 11644634)
USB-C connector, MSI announced it was putting this on its gaming laptops due to be shipped in March 2015 (announced Jan 2015, 3 months before Apple).

Levano, announced its lightest laptops ever, one with a touchscreen comes in at 2.04lbs, one without comes in even lighter at 1.74lbs, again, january 2015 (these also dont use the core M processor but the full fat Intel 5th gen chips).

Innovation from Apple? Where??

How about some of the other headline features, force touch trackpad, re-invented keyboard mechanics, terraced battery, I could go on. It's so funny that you take the time to try to slate Apple products, you'd be better off dressing as a clown and catching a bus to town, both make you look a bit silly.

JackClark 12 March 2015 04:57 PM

Here you go, all laid out on a page http://www.apple.com/uk/macbook/design/

JackClark 12 March 2015 05:02 PM

Lets not forget it has no fans, a completely metal case and a full size keyboard.

TonyBurns 12 March 2015 05:24 PM

Seen it Jack and read it, now read the other reviews, keyboard is meant to suck for typists, no feel, as described by one Journo, "has the feel of a touch screen" or in other words, cr@p, no movement, no feel, no good, over compromised and that makes it bad.

Terraced battery, doubt thats even new, batteries are made up of layers, this one is just built up differently, its not innovative and neither is the poor keyboard, now if it were to last 10 times longer and not be an li-on type but something new and ground breaking, then yes, that, no.

Metal case... yeah, Levano do the same in a fully metal case but lighter.

Core M 5th gen cpu, yes no fan needed there, its slug slow also considering what the competition are pushing out without fans, again, too much compromise = poor as the other companies are offering the full fat 5th gen processors and not the watered down one.

As i said before, if you dont have an ipad then the macbook is probably worth going for, if you have not had apple before then the macbook isnt worth going for and buy a better laptop, especially if you type correctly and dont look at the keys/2 fingers.

JackClark 12 March 2015 05:54 PM

I think you almost admitted that something was innovative, almost.

Anyhow, here's a video to cheer you up