ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   Hawkeye Headlight Auto Adjuster Warning Light (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/1021278-hawkeye-headlight-auto-adjuster-warning-light.html)

adam0161 09 March 2015 09:37 PM

Hawkeye Headlight Auto Adjuster Warning Light

Hi everyone,

My headlight auto adjuster light was coming on intermittently and when I checked my lights I noticed one sidelight had gone completely and the other seemed dim.

I changed the sidelights after an hour of cursing and I hoped the warning light would go out.

Unfortunately it didn't so I took the tyres off to have a look at the sensor's.

Both sensors themselves looked fine, but when I came to the rear sensor, I wiggled the wire at the end of the connector and the light is now permanently on. The connector itself looked fine, the 3 pins were in tact and I couldn't see any sign of erosion or water ingress.

This tends to show it is the wiring harness that is the issue, rather than the sensor itself.

Is is possible to change this wire rather than having to change the whole sensor?

Many Thanks, Adam

drummog 09 March 2015 11:17 PM

You would have to cut and join your own wires thay are not available as a Subaru part.

The fault could be the motors not working etc.

Tip, if you disconnect the headlight leveling ECU behind the glovebox, the headlight leveling warning light goes out, it is possible the headlights may stay at their normal height.

In that case sorted!

Worth a try.

adam0161 10 March 2015 12:23 AM

Hi there,

That is a shame they don't just sell the wire.

Thanks for the tip, is the ecu easy to get to?

Is it easy to identify which wire is the headlight levelling one?

Many Thanks, Adam

whitehawkkid 10 March 2015 12:26 AM

Take the glovebox out and its on your left :)

adam0161 10 March 2015 12:32 AM

Great thanks, I will try it tomorrow and report back!

Many Thanks, Adam

whitehawkkid 10 March 2015 12:54 AM

i have a similar problem where mine is currently unplugged bcos when in my light is on, but i dont know how to fix it? Any ideas anyone? Also can the headlights be manually adjusted?

adam0161 10 March 2015 01:11 AM

If I can't get the warning light off, do you think it is an MOT fail or not?

The dipped lights are working fine, and seem to be angled correctly.

Many Thanks, Adam

drummog 10 March 2015 01:32 AM

The warning light on is an MOT failure.

The headlights being too high or far too low is an MOT failure.

No levelling warning light on and the lights being at the correct position, what is your problem unless you cannot keep quiet when it is being tested.

Can you keep it zipped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

adam0161 10 March 2015 08:33 PM

Unplugged the headlight levelling ecu and the light has gone out, so should be ok.

Thanks for your help, and yes I will try and keep my mouth shut ;-)

whitehawkkid 10 March 2015 08:46 PM

Do they not test the head light levels in an mot though so if they are off the mot will fail anyways? Can they be manually adjusted?

adam0161 10 March 2015 08:52 PM

Yes, they will test the angle the lights are at but fortunately mine look ok.

I'm pretty sure you can manually adjust them at the back of the headlights with a screw, but others may correct me on that?

alcazar 11 March 2015 11:08 AM

AFAIK, the MOT doesn't test the presence of either headlight leveling, or washing, but "...if fitted, both must work."

So I'd imagine a competent MoT tester will switch on and check they go through the setup.

adam0161 12 March 2015 08:28 PM

Drummog, thanks very much for the tip about disconnecting the auto leveller ecu, it worked a treat and it passed its MOT with no advisories.

I will see if adam at Autotecnica can sort out the wiring when it's due it's service in a few months.

Cheers

TheOriginalAquapanther 02 March 2018 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by drummog (Post 11642700)
You would have to cut and join your own wires thay are not available as a Subaru part.

The fault could be the motors not working etc.

Tip, if you disconnect the headlight leveling ECU behind the glovebox, the headlight leveling warning light goes out, it is possible the headlights may stay at their normal height.

In that case sorted!

Worth a try.

I know this is a few years old mate but I have the same issue.

Is this easy to identify once you remove the glove box ? Any help much appreciated

drummog 02 March 2018 11:54 AM

Yes it is obvious and it is the only thing there that has wires going to it. I no longer have the car but it has passed a few MOT's since then.

TheOriginalAquapanther 02 March 2018 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by drummog (Post 11998362)
Yes it is obvious and it is the only thing there that has wires going to it. I no longer have the car but it has passed a few MOT's since then.

Much appreciated mate, will give this a go once the weather clears up, cheers