ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Brake line advice (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1020565-brake-line-advice.html)

porkster0 24 February 2015 08:45 AM

Brake line advice

Good morning All

I am looking to upgrade to braided brake lines on my 04 UK STI But having had a look in my arches it looks like the existing connections from hard to rubber lines are heavily corroded !!!!

I am concerned of snapping the existing hard line or corroded connectors.

As any one had experience of this ?

also which braided lines are best and are they all stainless hoses ?

all advice appreciated

Regards
Ian

Fonzey 24 February 2015 08:54 AM

Get a proper spanner for it, it's like a normal spanner but slightly more closed in (almost a full ring spanner, with a small gap for the hard-line), it makes it much "safer".

Clean it all down, and spray with some penetrating spray the night before (not just WD40).

Godspeed Brakes 24 February 2015 09:00 AM

Yes as above , a proper brake pipe spanner not a standard spanner otherwise you will round the nuts off , we also have a small blowlamp to heat the fitting up if its being really awkward , they are very tight , but take your time with the proper tools and it will come off.

As you say there are loads of hose kits about , we have tried them all and supply Hose technic only now , made in the UK by Forge motor-sport , all stainless fitting , plastic coated pipes , doesn't really get any better

Cheers Ian

AS Performance 24 February 2015 04:39 PM

we have been supplying the Goodridge brake lines "the original & best" for 15yrs+.........

these days they have even reacted to considerable distributor pressure by re-aligning the prices so they are even as good if not better costs than other brands

porkster0 25 February 2015 08:31 AM

HI Thanks for all the advice

I will give it a go and get the correct tools tools needed, don't suppose anyone knows the correct size of brake pipes spanners I will need !!
So I can get them ordered today.

Thanks again for the advice

Ian

euan_r 25 February 2015 08:56 AM

10mm oem but 11mm is common union size in uk if any hardline work has been done before. I bought hel a few years ago and would return for claim if I could find receipt.

porkster0 25 February 2015 12:55 PM

Thank again for all advice so far,

As I am going to be changing the lines I've decided to do all the pads in the Brembo's as well.

So without trying to open up a minefield can anyone recommend a good Road brake pad for general everyday driving but with some bite in it.

Not worried about wear or life of pad/discs or general braking noise,
But would like to avoid squeal at slow to stopping speed as with some pads I've had on other cars.

Regards
Ian

AS Performance 26 February 2015 08:16 AM

if you want a decent road upgrade with good refinement then the Brembo Sport are decent value for money and performance, if your more aggressive then the PFC z-rated material would be better suited and will cope with track temperatures albeit they are not a race pad which we also stock and supply

all on the shelf