ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Esso fuel for an emergency? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1020367-esso-fuel-for-an-emergency.html)

lloydsound 20 February 2015 04:38 PM

Esso fuel for an emergency?

Work arrangements have changed and as a result I am almost empty on the fuel gauge and there is only an esso garage nearby. When I finish at ten tonight I have a 20 mile
Journey and don't want to risk it. Do you think that a tenner a worth of esso super-unleaded would be okay until I get back to my Shell garage

Henrik 20 February 2015 04:50 PM

Has it been mapped specifically for v-power?

If YES: Then put a tenners worth of Esso in, but take it easy on the way back. Try to stay out of boost as much as possible. I'd personally also pootle around until the tank was almost empty, fill up WITH A LITTLE bit of v-power, i.e. another 10 quid, run that down again and then fill the car up as normal.
The point of putting the tenner of v-power in is to dilute the remains of esso down significantly, so that the second tank is almost pure v-power.

If NO: If it's a UK car, it will be just fine.

Henrik 20 February 2015 04:51 PM

Also FYI when my car was mapped for v-power + 10% ethanol, I was caught short out in Wales, with only 95 RON about.

Driven off boost it was absolutely fine. One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes its more laborious for an engine to be sat at 2000rpm up an incline rather than 3000 rpm in different gear (at the same speed)

lloydsound 20 February 2015 04:56 PM

Hanks for the info, the car is a fresh import and is still yet I he mapped, therefore I believe that even with 99-Ron fuel it is still
1 short, so maybe I will
Chance it. It is hovering ever so slightly above empty and there is no petrol light on, does it even have one? If so then maybe it's not so serious

lloydsound 20 February 2015 05:03 PM

Sorry for shoddy spelling, trying to text whilst working

ossett2k2 20 February 2015 05:14 PM

You will be ok putting esso 97ron in,just stay off boost until you get some 99 in. Don't know what version you have but my V3 jdm has no petrol light

lloydsound 20 February 2015 05:15 PM

V7 JDM. I might just risk it

XDevil666 20 February 2015 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by lloydsound (Post 11630625)
V7 JDM. I might just risk it

Do it mate, I quite like a game of petrol roulette myself also :)

jaygsi 20 February 2015 07:12 PM

Dont't worry bud I drove around for 6 months before I found out I needed super unleaded in my impreza.

Seen loads of lads in pulsars putting in cheap asda rubbish on a daily basis

ossett2k2 20 February 2015 07:34 PM

Also anything above empty on the gauge usually means there is loads of petrol left,I would go the long way round and give it loads of beans on the way home :thumb:

Ellie* 21 February 2015 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by XDevil666 (Post 11630695)
Do it mate, I quite like a game of petrol roulette myself also :)

Lmao "petrol roulette"!!
I curse myself every time i do that!

Ive done about 50miles on the fuel light before, its wasnt fun!