ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Styling (https://www.scoobynet.com/styling-36/)
-   -   Bug Wagon Colour Choice (https://www.scoobynet.com/styling-36/1020217-bug-wagon-colour-choice.html)

sprigeteer 18 February 2015 09:15 AM

Bug Wagon Colour Choice

Time has come for a bit of tlc on the body front - a bit of rust has appeared on a rear arch. The old girl is 13 years old now, so, to be fair, she could do with a lick of paint.

The problem - repair and refresh in the original blue black mica.

Or, go for a full respray?

I do not want to make it look odd or too in yer face - I like the sleeper quality. I still want to keep the car in a shade of black or possibly dark grey or some kind.

Any opinions or colour recommendations? Once the body is under the knife I may well go for a new suspension and wheel combo, including the arches getting pulled/rolled to accomodate wider rubber. Again, any ideas. Aiming to seek out a good body shop in the NE in the coming months, so need to decide by then.

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...psa36a7341.jpg

modrich 18 February 2015 10:22 PM

I actually really like the newage wagon in black, although I've never seen the blue black mica in the flesh, and I normally prefer black cars to be solid rather than metallic. I actually think a proper solid ink black (pic above looks solid!) would maybe best if future value is to be taken into consideration.

Alternatively I have a crystal grey blob wagon and actually I really like the 'slightly darker than silver' colour, but I think a darker pearl grey met would look really classy too, something like Audi Dolphine grey, but I'm sure there's better dark greys out there.

ZX-TT 19 February 2015 09:50 AM

Nice looking wagon, reminds me of one i know lol. If it was me I would keep it the same colour.

sprigeteer 19 February 2015 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by modrich (Post 11629638)
I actually really like the newage wagon in black, although I've never seen the blue black mica in the flesh, and I normally prefer black cars to be solid rather than metallic. I actually think a proper solid ink black (pic above looks solid!) would maybe best if future value is to be taken into consideration.

Alternatively I have a crystal grey blob wagon and actually I really like the 'slightly darker than silver' colour, but I think a darker pearl grey met would look really classy too, something like Audi Dolphine grey, but I'm sure there's better dark greys out there.

I really do fancy a very dark metallic/pearl grey. Future value is a funny one, as the car is quite old and heavily modded, I suspect I'd break rather than sell the car on whole.

I will be visiting a few local bodyshops to get some ideas/quotes soon.

sprigeteer 28 August 2015 09:13 AM

Well, she's off for a body refresh in a couple of weeks to a local body shop. Keeping the Blue/Black Mica, getting the scuffs painted (mirrors, bumpers, rear spoiler edge etc), rust removed from the rear arch, and a full machine polish. Just a smidge over £700. I may get a few more items done once she in so may get slightly higher.

Reshard1977 29 August 2015 09:15 AM

£700!!!

Bargain!!! Where are you getting it done?

sprigeteer 29 August 2015 12:43 PM

Corbridge Coachworks, just down the road.

jaygsi 29 August 2015 02:51 PM

Wow that does sound good.

Ste333 31 August 2015 07:27 AM

make sure you get pics up!

sprigeteer 31 August 2015 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ste333 (Post 11730370)
make sure you get pics up!

Will do - need to take some pics as its been a year or so since the last ones. Car should be out mid Sept ish.

sprigeteer 13 September 2015 02:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, the car is back from the body shop after its refresh. All the typical touch points have been made good - mirrors, all the corners. The rear spoiler re-done as it was always a bit marked since I bought it many moons ago. Wiper arms all done. Front bumper had numerous scuffs and scrapes - all fixed. Rust cut out of the rear wheel arch and made good. Full machine polish too. Very pleased with the end results. There are still a few scratches on the rear bumper where the dogs have kindly clawed on their way into the boot. But I'm not getting too picky about things like this, as the car is an everyday car and the dogs will continue to get in and out. Mind you, a fitted bumper protector would be good - any ideas?

All in all, with some extras that I had not quoted for, the job came to just over £800, which I think is reasonable. Pics are on a grassy incline in the back garden, so the angles are a bit funny!

Attachment 43178

Attachment 43179

Attachment 43180

modrich 15 September 2015 11:37 AM

Looking good, and I like the Prodrive front bumper. Any reason you didn't get the side skirts painted as well?

sprigeteer 15 September 2015 05:57 PM

Must admit, the skirts never occurred to me. They are not smooth skirts - they feel textured to the touch, so I'm not sure how well paint would take. They could do with some back to black though, as they are looking a bit grey.

SouthWalesSam 15 September 2015 06:03 PM

From one 'Wagoneer' to another: Very nice looking motor!

sprigeteer 15 September 2015 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by SouthWalesSam (Post 11737510)
From one 'Wagoneer' to another: Very nice looking motor!

Very kind - I love it. It's got 'enough' in the engine department (I'm resisting the inevitable 2.35 etc etc!), its practical enough to fit the 2 labs in the back and is not too showy.

Ste333 16 September 2015 07:11 AM

definitely need to get those skirts done bud! They can be done - my wagon looks so much better with the skirts colour coded and smoothed. It makes the car look so much lower. That aside - looking good though