ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   RB5 gearbox rebuild or swap it??? Help (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1019864-rb5-gearbox-rebuild-or-swap-it-help.html)

Benkiiid 11 February 2015 06:27 AM

RB5 gearbox rebuild or swap it??? Help

Morning

My RB5 has a rattle in 3rd gear and had it apart and Ive been told I either need to rebuild it and where to get it done? or get a stronger one.. I've got 334bhp and 302lbt. What do you recommend? I can't quite afford a 6speed box and with the power being under 350bhp I don't feel the need to do it. but I also know I'm not wanting to do a cheap repair as I'm planning to track it and I've also got 5 days at nurburgring in April so it's gunna get some hammer....
Hope you can help. Thankyou

ditchmyster 11 February 2015 07:48 AM

Get a 5 speed and drive a little more sensibly or put the money from your track day and Ring trip towards a 6 speed.

Benkiiid 11 February 2015 07:57 AM

This isnt an issue I've caused, only had the car 6 months, done 600 miles and I am a sensible driver. I know this wasn't caused by me. I've just been unlucky that the cost of the repair has landed on me. I know I don't need a 6speed due to the power I'm running. This wasn't the case when the previous owner had a 420bhp engine in it. But thankyou for your comment.

ditchmyster 11 February 2015 08:02 AM

Can you DIY any of the work involved?

You could roll the dice and pick up a second hand 5 speed.

Benkiiid 11 February 2015 08:09 AM

Not one for DIY bud... My mate from JHM Motorsport will be doing the work but I'm asking on here for abit more information as I know there will be plenty who've had a similar issue... I'm happy to get another box but do you not recommended a rebuild? It's just the risk of buying into faults also that's how I feel about buying a 6speed

Cheers Ben

Markfey 11 February 2015 03:59 PM

There's the cheap way of doing a uk 6 speed blob and marrying it up with a uk rear diff. No need to change rear brakes etc.

Fb tuning did mine for pennies in comparison with other quotes I got.

Benkiiid 11 February 2015 04:06 PM

Been quoted £525inc vat for rebuild at A.R.T in Perth... Which I didn't think was bad.. Aren't the blobeye supposed to be as bad as the 5speed... I read it in a previous thread on here? Cheers Ben

Markfey 11 February 2015 04:13 PM

Not a bad price but might be worth speaking to Dave at api. He seems to be the go to person for rebuilds.

As for the blob gearbox, totally wrong!!!!

gaborpapp 11 February 2015 06:30 PM

Mark, how much was roughly? and was that gearbox done with new clutch? thanks

Markfey 11 February 2015 06:43 PM

I believe it was roughly £200 - £250 to fit the box and rear diff.

The problem was I had a lot of work done at the same time so I'm not 100%.

Rich is a top bloke though so you won't go wrong.

Benkiiid 11 February 2015 07:15 PM

That cheap? There £500 plus I've found and that doesn't include clutch etc? Where did you find it?

Markfey 11 February 2015 07:39 PM

I'm on about fitting only costs buddy.

6speed blob box can vary from high hundreds to mid thousands. The matching uk2000 rear diff can be picked up cheap as chips.

I'd speak to Mattybr5 on here who's in the trader section for best prices on guine tested products

Benkiiid 11 February 2015 07:47 PM

Thanks you!!!!

gaborpapp 11 February 2015 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Markfey (Post 11625307)
I'm on about fitting only costs buddy.

6speed blob box can vary from high hundreds to mid thousands. The matching uk2000 rear diff can be picked up cheap as chips.

I'd speak to Mattybr5 on here who's in the trader section for best prices on guine tested products

I knew about a table which contains the gearboxes and diffs + ratios. from that one you can actually work out how to pair 6 speeds with existing diff but is quite a long one + lots of numbers. so is good to know there is already someone who does this lol. My gearbox is on its way out so i need to keep an eye looking for new one.