ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Oil Pump (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1019038-oil-pump.html)

BenGTTurbo 26 January 2015 03:18 PM

Oil Pump

Hi,

Looking for a new oil pump for my engine build. Was just wondering can anybody tell me if there is any difference between the Cosworth, Roger Clarke and API oil pumps other then the brands and prices ?

Thanks

Markfey 26 January 2015 03:25 PM

I believe api and rcm are oem pumps but adapted in house. Not sure about cosworth though.

BenGTTurbo 26 January 2015 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Markfey (Post 11612823)
I believe api and rcm are oem pumps but adapted in house. Not sure about cosworth though.

Thats what i thought. So the "adapted" part of the oil pump was the weak part of the oem pump i take it?

In theory the RCM and API are more or less the same just different brands and price tags ??

AS Performance 26 January 2015 04:01 PM

some of the Cosworth ones have a little "blueprinting" at best and are basically badge engineered.........not value for money IMO

pretty sure the API ones dont have any internals replaced but are 'worked & polished' - never used one so cant comment fully

the RCM ones tend to have modified internal components as well as extra working and IMO are the "best" if going for an aftermarket/modified pump and something we have used and supplied for 10yrs+ - we have a very close association with RCM and can always offer deals using the benefit of our buying power............

BenGTTurbo 26 January 2015 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by AS Performance (Post 11612862)
some of the Cosworth ones have a little "blueprinting" at best and are basically badge engineered.........not value for money IMO

pretty sure the API ones dont have any internals replaced but are 'worked & polished' - never used one so cant comment fully

the RCM ones tend to have modified internal components as well as extra working and IMO are the "best" if going for an aftermarket/modified pump and something we have used and supplied for 10yrs+ - we have a very close association with RCM and can always offer deals using the benefit of our buying power............

Thanks for your reply. The API also has the same sort of spec (according to there website) as the RCM oil pump but i think i will probably go with the Roger Clarke. Thanks again

BenGTTurbo 26 January 2015 05:27 PM

Also could anyone tell me what's best to go for? The 10mm or the 12mm ?

Thanks

MOTORS S GT 26 January 2015 06:32 PM

Don't make the usual mistake of going for the biggest pump available, it depends on your engine spec, ie, bearing clearances, avc's heads or not, oil cooler, etc, otherwise the pump will only be creating further heat working against the prv.

BenGTTurbo 26 January 2015 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT (Post 11613032)
Don't make the usual mistake of going for the biggest pump available, it depends on your engine spec, ie, bearing clearances, avc's heads or not, oil cooler, etc, otherwise the pump will only be creating further heat working against the prv.

So the standard size of 10mm would be fine on a ej207 with forged pistons, rods, uprated bearings, head gaskets ect running no more then 400hp using my standard ej20 sti heads ?

MOTORS S GT 26 January 2015 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by BenGTTurbo (Post 11613043)
So the standard size of 10mm would be fine on a ej207 with forged pistons, rods, uprated bearings, head gaskets ect running no more then 400hp using my standard ej20 sti heads ?

Whats your bearing clearances with uprated bearings?

BenGTTurbo 26 January 2015 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT (Post 11613047)
Whats your bearing clearances with uprated bearings?

Whatever size the standard acl race bearings are as the crank is not being ground ?

MOTORS S GT 26 January 2015 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by BenGTTurbo (Post 11613054)
Whatever size the standard acl race bearings are as the crank is not being ground ?

So you have not measured them, or not yet built it ?, if they are to std tolerances as per Subaru guidelines, then a 10mm pump is more than adequate, if larger, especially on the b/e allowing for cooling in uprated engines, my choice would be 11mm.

BenGTTurbo 26 January 2015 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT (Post 11613060)
So you have not measured them, or not yet built it ?, if they are to std tolerances as per Subaru guidelines, then a 10mm pump is more than adequate, if larger, especially on the b/e allowing for cooling in uprated engines, my choice would be 11mm.

The engine has not been built yet. I was gonna order the oil pump ready but ill hold off and wait for measurements. Thanks