ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   To be really sensible or just a little - Disco Sport, Touareg, C63 AMG (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/1019026-to-be-really-sensible-or-just-a-little-disco-sport-touareg-c63-amg.html)

alloy 26 January 2015 12:14 PM

To be really sensible or just a little - Disco Sport, Touareg, C63 AMG

Got a little one on the way, turns out my 900bhp GTR isn't a great family car so that will be retired to race car (good news is can cage it and make it more extreme :freak3:) bad news is need to pick up a more family orientated car!

I'm stuck between being really sensible or just a little sensible. I guess not going to cover more than 6-8,000 miles a year in this, Missus is also going to be driving it.

Options considered;

1) '15 Discovery Sport HSE - saw this at the weekend, really nice interior, good ride height, not too big for London streets, light and airy cabin, loads of leg space in the back (i'm 6'3), 7 seats total, big boot, new so hassle free warranty etc. Potentially keep this thing for 5 or so years and get some good practical mileage out of it.

2) '15 VW Touareg R-Line - Keep seeing these, love the look of them. Good deals from dealers available (£5k off - poor man's Cayenne :)) so can get good spec motor. Bigger engine than the Disco, nice interior, practical size interor and boot. Again potentially a 3-5 year motor that can get some good miles out of.

3) '09/10 C63 AMG - More practical than GTR, less practical than Disco, cheaper to buy short term, more fun to drive (although reality is no spirited driving with kid on board so I would more than likely take the GTR for solo motoring?). Any major things to look for? Any big bills as these things get older and the mileage accumulates? Fancy a V8, could maybe run this for 2 years then look to get into something else...

In the same vain as the AMG then also thinking about M3 Saloon, RS4...

Any input or owner experiences welcomed to help narrow this scenario down.

Tidgy 26 January 2015 12:21 PM

tbh i;d just go sensible. nothing is gonna be as quick as the GTR so just get something sensible.

do you need a 4x4?

SPEN555 26 January 2015 12:59 PM

Touarag's seem to suffer terrible depreciation compared to other 4x4's?

Consider also Audi SQ5 they have 3.0 twin turbo diesel, over 300bhp and strong residuals.

scoobyland 26 January 2015 01:32 PM

The Land Rover would be the best all round choice.

f1_fan 26 January 2015 01:59 PM

The C63 is a great car, but really with a GTR in the stable it's only ever going to feel slow and ponderous in comparison so all the extra investment in the V8 and associated AMG bits is a waste really.

That said why are your alternatives the size of a small planet if you are driving round London? Would a decentish saloon or wagon not do instead. Something largish without being crazy big :D

Not criticising you as it's your choice, but I would be going for an XF Shooting Brake (or Sportbrake or whatever it's called this week ;) )or something of that ilk. Sensible engine, great interior, plenty of toys... that sort of philosophy.

ditchmyster 26 January 2015 04:28 PM

I'd go for something like a Merc G wagon, plenty big enough but not so huge as a disco so less trouble parking and in traffic, all the toys and great residuals,

alloy 26 January 2015 04:56 PM

Tidgy - probably don't need a 4x4 but quite fancy it

SPEN555 - The SQ5 is a nice option, will look in to it more :thumb:

f1_fan - Saw the R version of the Sportbrake looked stunning. Missus not overly interested in an "estate" as she already said no to the RS4, but good points, will take a further look sounds sensible option

ditchymister - the disco sport is the same chassis as the evoque, save as its 8cm longer, so not quite the footprint of the normal disco, plus self parking etc etc should be reasonable around town as see enough full blown range rovers parked up on London streets

hodgy0_2 26 January 2015 06:28 PM

The G-Wagen is a great left field choice

True off road pedigree, rock solid residuals (enough people now how good they are)

My one concern would be road manners, I suspect not as good as the RR - but I could be wrong

I am pretty sure they do an AMG version too - lol

Matteeboy 26 January 2015 06:35 PM

I think I'd seriously consider the Audi SQ5 as suggested. Very rapid, quite subtle, they look good.
The X5 5.0i is a bit mad but rather nippy too. 450bhp V8 niceness... I really like the current styling of them and the interior is great too.
I think the Disco Sport (basically the Freelander) would bore you.

ditchmyster 26 January 2015 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11613018)
The G-Wagen is a great left field choice

True off road pedigree, rock solid residuals (enough people now how good they are)

My one concern would be road manners, I suspect not as good as the RR - but I could be wrong

I am pretty sure they do an AMG version too - lol

And a Brabus. :norty:

lozgti1 27 January 2015 09:52 AM

Aren't those G Wagons a fortune to buy ?!

ditchmyster 27 January 2015 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by lozgti1 (Post 11613613)
Aren't those G Wagons a fortune to buy ?!

They're not cheap but you'll get it all back more so than on a Land Rover and Alloy's minted. :lol1:

lozgti1 27 January 2015 10:34 AM

Lol

£86-£140k !!

They are a cult car though...

Shaun 27 January 2015 01:42 PM

Get a Range Rover Sport supercharged..... the latest model. Mate has one and it's a right tool..... sounds absolutely mental imo. He has had various year revisions (this is his 4th I think) and he rates this latest revision extremely highly.

He is also a known "driving god" lol, so that may give some credence to how good he thinks these are as a vehicle.

He has recently bought a McLaren MP4. I asked him whether he had stopped driving the Range Rooney. He immediately said "You're joking..... the RR is awesome and does so many things right!".

Food for thought.

Littleted 27 January 2015 08:29 PM

SQ5
cayenne?