ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Exhaust dilemma (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1019000-exhaust-dilemma.html)

Gear Head 25 January 2015 09:40 PM

Exhaust dilemma

Had my WRX for nearly 18 months now and it is my 4th Impreza.

I've been down the decat route before and just can't put up with that sort of volume again.

My WRX came with a sports cat down pipe, de-resonated centre section and an afterburner vortex back box.

Soon after my purchase, I bought an oval tip prodrive backbox as the vortex was just too damn loud. It is my every day car after all! Noise wise, I was quite happy with the prodrive other than the look of the oval tip. The seller was only 10 miles away and I had to get rid of the vortex swiftly through fear of seriously pissing off my neighbours.

After 6 months, I changed this for a ninja 2 which didn't come with the bung, but has a hole pre-cut for it. To be honest, this sounds great when driving around at slow speed but is VERY boomy on the motorway.

So my dilemma is, do I just buy a bung for the ninja 2 or get an round tip prodrive back box?
Do the bungs actually make a difference? The negative point with buying a prodrive back box is finding a good one as they are all getting on a bit now.

Any help/advice appreciated.

powerwrx 25 January 2015 09:45 PM

I found the bung on my old Nurspec did work but I wouldn't drive round with it in for a long time I couldn't see the point in having the exhaust if it was fitted with a bung most of the time..

if I was looking again for a quieter one I would search for the original scoobysport backbox.. I had one on my RA for a wile and it was a great sound when you wanted it but a nice subtle rumble in general driving

http://www.scoobysport.co.uk/

mickywrx 25 January 2015 09:48 PM

Bung in my Nur Spec makes a hell of a difference.

What about an STI Genome?

Gear Head 25 January 2015 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by mickywrx (Post 11612381)
Bung in my Nur Spec makes a hell of a difference.

What about an STI Genome?

Not keen on spending £300 on a 2ns hand back box!

Been looking at the scoobyworld racebox.

powerwrx 25 January 2015 09:55 PM

think the racebox is very similar to the scoobysport and the H&S scoobyworld box

Gear Head 25 January 2015 10:12 PM

So not too boomy? Really want to make the 4th choice right!

powerwrx 26 January 2015 05:13 AM

No not at all

thunder8 26 January 2015 09:43 AM

i have a scooby world race box not yet fitted as car is in 100 pieces ..

got it of ebay week before xmas £50 and its only 12 mths old and came off a lady owner who was selling her blobeye for a new sti hatch and wanted to make a bit more money as we all do .but no one bid and i got a deal;)

about £200 brand new just for backbox bit steep i think

Tidgy 26 January 2015 09:47 AM

I had similar dilema, my Type R came with origional exhaust, couldn't hear it at all :( So left me with a what to fit. I ended up going with a full 3 icnh scr deacat, its free flowing but track friendly so not too noisey. might be worth look at it and similar ones, had one on my hawkeye and type r and both had a nice bark but not too loud and droney

Willowsdad 26 January 2015 10:31 AM

Why not just go for a round exit prodrive if you were happy with the noise before? I've recently swapped mine for a genome, and the sound is just perfect.

Matt_STi 27 January 2015 11:35 AM

I brought a ninja II the other day and have my bung, welcome to make me a offer for it!

Gear Head 27 January 2015 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Matt_STi (Post 11613724)
I brought a ninja II the other day and have my bung, welcome to make me a offer for it!

Does it actually make a difference?

Matt_STi 27 January 2015 02:12 PM

I don't know, it came with the exhaust and I've never fitted it