ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Speeding - Ban guidlines (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/101888-speeding-ban-guidlines.html)

nigelward 06 April 2002 12:10 PM

If you are speeding away from a mugging then this is a legitimate reason ;)

[Edited by nigelward - 6/4/2002 1:12:17 PM]

Dave P 04 June 2002 11:59 AM

All,

What sort of speeds would you pick up a ban in the following speed limits:

Limit Likely Ban At
70 100

I don't condone speeding in 30's and 40's and I know over a ton is a ban, but what about the rest?

Dave

Boost II 04 June 2002 12:08 PM

I was told by the traffic police that it was 66mph in a 40 limit - don't know if that was because they'd just measured me at 65.85 though :(

HunterB 04 June 2002 12:14 PM

30 above ANY speed limit will likely mean a day in court and takes you into potential ban territory. If you're pulled by a police officer (rather than being snapped by a "safety camera"), then a lot will depend on what he says in court. You can get banned if convicted for driving like a total prat BELOW the speed limit ;) (but a "safety camera" won't get you ....)

jasey 04 June 2002 12:18 PM

I thought it was likely if you were exceeding the limit by more that 50% eg 45 in a 30, 90 in a 60 etc...

Could be wrong - I usually am :D

Katana 04 June 2002 12:27 PM

Go vandalize some poor sod's property instead. You'll never get done for it. ;)

skiddusmarkus 04 June 2002 12:54 PM

What if you sped down the road using your car as a getaway from mugging an old granny?Would you get off?
When I was stopped for speeding,the copper said because I was going 26mph(the limit being 25mph)over the limit then it was a court job and he couldn't/wouldn't issue a fixed penalty.This was on a national speed limit road before anyone starts.

NotoriousREV 04 June 2002 07:13 PM

the copper said because I was going 26mph(the limit being 25mph)over the limit then it was a court job and he couldn't/wouldn't issue a fixed penalty
I guess even this depends on the situation. I got stopped for doing 97 on a motorway (27mph over) and was given a fixed penalty. I think the reason this happened was:

A) clear motorway, no other traffic except me and the copper

B) I admitted it straight away and was very polite to the copper

He actually gave me a choice: deny it and go to court, admit it and take the fixed penalty. Bearing in mind I was doing an indicated 100mph, I thought the fixed penalty wa the best choice.

Sheepsplitter 04 June 2002 07:53 PM

How about for a laugh, let's get the number plate off Tony Blairs limo and duplicate it half a dozen times, then drive around London with it fitted to our cars and clock up loads of 'camera' offences. Making sure of course not to get stopped for other reasons as the fitting of said number plate could be construed as 'perverting the course of justice'.

I wonder what the authorities would do?
He'd certainly have his hands tied with sorting it all out :-)

Maz-old 05 June 2002 09:11 PM

I could, of course, post the Magistrates' Association Guidelines on sentencing for speeding. That would clear it all up.

Do you want me to, or would it be a pointless waste of time?

M.

boomer 05 June 2002 10:02 PM

Maz,

only if the same thing was posted on the Magistrates' BBS ;)

mb

gadge 05 June 2002 10:51 PM

over a tone is not an instent ban . i am driving proof( thank god for R`s) lol

garry

MarkO 06 June 2002 08:50 AM

It's completely bloody inconsistent - there are no rules. :(

I got stopped for doing an average 97mph (Vascar) on the M3 near Eastleigh about 5 years ago. I know for a fact that at the start of the measurement I was doing 50-60mph, so to average 97 you can imagine the final speed. Anyway, the end result was a 3pt FPN and a ticking-off. :D

18 months later I was stopped for doing 102mph on the A34, and got a 3-week ban and 200 quid fine. :o