ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Can I drive a SORN'ed car to a bodywork place and back? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1018764-can-i-drive-a-sorned-car-to-a-bodywork-place-and-back.html)

alcazar 21 January 2015 08:59 PM

Can I drive a SORN'ed car to a bodywork place and back?

Without having to tax it?

It's for my classic, surrently SORN, and I don't want to pay 6 mths tax for two journeys.

I know it can be done for, say MoT, but what about bodywork that was an advisory on the last MoT? (Last May).

Edit to say: car is insured and has current MoT.

piehole1983 21 January 2015 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11609056)
Without having to tax it? It's for my classic, surrently SORN, and I don't want to pay 6 mths tax for two journeys. I know it can be done for, say MoT, but what about bodywork that was an advisory on the last MoT? (Last May). Edit to say: car is insured and has current MoT.

If it's SORNd and its caught on the road then I believe you'll get fined mate.

BBB3 21 January 2015 09:04 PM

Take the risk?

By law NO...unless it's going for a M.o.t can't you borrow a set of trade plates?

Maz 21 January 2015 09:06 PM

Nope, I wouldn't chance it. If the body shop has trade plates use them.

markjmd 21 January 2015 09:09 PM

The letter of the law probably says otherwise, but my personal take on this has always been if I'm traveling directly to/from a place of repair for work needed for the MOT, it's covered by the same rule as traveling directly to/from the MOT test station itself.

I haven't often had to risk it, but never had a tug because of it either.

hodgy0_2 21 January 2015 09:14 PM

Yeh, I tend agree, take the risk

As long as it is not miles away

But you may simply be caught by an APNR - you don't get to plead your case to a traffic cop

You would just get an automatic fine

Can you not tax it monthly now - or was that only payment

TheVoices 21 January 2015 09:16 PM

Why not just get the body shop to collect the car on trade plates rather than risk driving it ?

piehole1983 21 January 2015 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11609075)
Yeh, I tend agree, take the risk As long as it is not miles away But you may simply be caught by an APNR - you don't get to plead your case to a traffic cop You would just get an automatic fine Can you not tax it monthly now - or was that only payment

I agree with all of the above. Emphasis on ANPR. I just taxed mine by monthly direct debit, maybe you could do this and cancel it when not needed?

https://www.gov.uk/sorn-statutory-off-road-notification

daveyj 21 January 2015 09:18 PM

It needs to be taxed if on the road. Full stop.

However you'll get a fine if caught. Not a lot else. Crashing, god forbid, would be a problem as insurance will be null and void owing to being SORNd.

It's a risk basically. You could tax it online, pick one off direct debit option, and cancel the following week. You'll only pay for the month (Jan).

daveyj 21 January 2015 09:18 PM

Beat me to it.

PaulC72 21 January 2015 10:06 PM

Not worth the risk TBH.

pimmo2000 22 January 2015 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by markjmd (Post 11609070)

but never had a tug because of it either.

:Suspiciou

ALi-B 22 January 2015 07:54 AM

Flatbed or borrow trade plates.

Some Independant local recovery guys round here only charge £25 for a local recovery.

AndyC_772 22 January 2015 08:50 AM

You can drive an un-taxed car to and from a pre-booked MoT test. You can also drive it to or from a repairer, if that repair is one which is required in order to pass the MoT.

An advisory note isn't a fail, though, so I don't think you can use that exemption. If you already have an MoT, then you need to tax the car.

You can always refund the tax straight away afterwards, though, so the net result is you've only paid for 1 months' worth. Cheaper than getting it towed.

alcazar 22 January 2015 01:18 PM

As I thought.

Thanks guys.