ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Engine Management and ECU Remapping (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/)
-   -   Syvecs vs Alcatek (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/1018192-syvecs-vs-alcatek.html)

BadBadLeeroyBrown 11 January 2015 04:41 PM

Syvecs vs Alcatek

Hi Guys,

I'm just getting ideas at the moment. Theres a chance I might need to go for a stand alone ECU before long. Its for a bugeye wrx with a good amount of mods. I cant seem to find a laymans comparison including the price differences etc. Can anyone help please?

Many Thanks
Lee

MartynJ 11 January 2015 08:11 PM

Vast difference in price.
Alcatek brilliant budget ecu, Syvecs is the all singing all dancing daddy.

JGlanzaV 11 January 2015 08:23 PM

Alcatek imo icant see you needing a syvecs....

veerinder9 11 January 2015 08:25 PM

Alcatek is like the head of the penis and syvecs is the whole ding dong with the ball bag

BadBadLeeroyBrown 11 January 2015 09:09 PM

Thanks Guys! Very interesting metaphors there :thumb:

harrisard 11 January 2015 09:36 PM

:lol::lol1::lol::lol1::lol:

nivek4209 11 January 2015 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by veerinder9 (Post 11601305)
Alcatek is like the head of the penis and syvecs is the whole ding dong with the ball bag

So all I've got is a knob then

veerinder9 11 January 2015 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by nivek4209 (Post 11601410)
So all I've got is a knob then

Lol dw mate ive got alcatek too lol

MattyB1983 11 January 2015 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by MartynJ (Post 11601280)

What is the difference in price out of intetrest Martyn ???

gazney101 11 January 2015 11:20 PM

From what ive read, you can end up with 3k in a syvecs if you use all its functions

Sarg400 12 January 2015 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by MartynJ (Post 11601280)

Ok please explain why? alcatek £1000+ bubget ecu??? I have a Alcatek which runs my car fine mapped my jgm. So what's the benefits of the syvecs over my alcatek martyn?

jura11 12 January 2015 03:43 AM

Hi Lee

Really depends on mods and what you want from yours ECU and mainly what functions or features you are want and need

Syvecs cost around £1400,plus Wideband £160,CAL switch £35,sensors this depends you can buy own(I would recommend to use 3 wire sensors like are AEM,DeFi etc) or you can buy sensor pack for around £300,mapping most of mappers charge same for both ECU,ALS and LC is free,Bluetooth module around £300(you can use yours iPhone as gauges with this and Android version should be ready soon too)

AVCS/VVT control is free and you don't need to pay extra,datalogging is free and really easy to do so and you need only RJ45 cable

As I said,really depends on what you want from ECU

About the prices of the AlcaTek please speak with Martyn or Alan@Enginetuner or any AlcaTek dealer and then decide if AlcaTek or Syvecs is for you

I've run only Syvecs like on wagon and now on Honda Civic Type R and i would highly recommend Syvecs due the their technical support or after sale support etc

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

MartynJ 12 January 2015 09:22 AM

Syvecs additional features include, 8 injector outputs, only 4 on Alcatek, on board data logging which is awesome, in built wideband controller no need for external controller (Innovate, AEM, Zeitronix etc etc), in built egt, Flex fuel support for those that run meth or e85 mixes.

AVCS control is free on all 2001 on Alcatek ecus too, so no biggy there.

There's nothing wrong with Alcatek so please don't get me wrong on that. We were one of the very first established dealers and have sold many over the 8 years we've been working with them.
I'd happily fit and map either, it's just if you wan't THE BEST, not the best on a budget you'd buy a Syvecs.

As for price, you can have an Alcatek ecu supplied fitted and mapped with ALS and launch control for approx the same cost as just buying the Syvecs ecu.

MattyB1983 12 January 2015 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by MartynJ (Post 11601617)

As for price, you can have an Alcatek ecu supplied fitted and mapped with ALS and launch control for approx the same cost as just buying the Syvecs ecu.

So the syvecs is basically the mapping cost more expensive then Martyn, roughly £300 ??

Reshard1977 12 January 2015 01:54 PM

Depending on your power, you may not need either.

I had a WRX with lots of mods and bought an Alcatek that was mapped by JGM.

Because i was sitting around the 330BHP mark, it was a bit pointless to be honest. But, i had an Ecu itch that needed to be scratched! It was a bloody expensive itch!

If I were you I would just get an open road map from one of the reputable and well known tuners. Unless you have some big plans for your car, in which case a stand alone Ecu would be worth it/needed.

jura11 12 January 2015 02:05 PM

Earlier New Age ECU are pretty good if you are not thinking to run beyond 450bhp and beyond 1.7bar,but if you are on classic then without the question aftermarket ECU is only option and then you have lots of option like ESL,AlcaTek or Syvecs etc

If I would run around 350-400bhp one New Age then I wouldn't run aftermarket ECU,because you don't need it,stock ECU is capable to run it,but if you are planning to run multiple maps etc,then aftermarket ECU is only option,agree Carberry seems is good option,but still I would rather choose aftermarket ECU,but this depends on target and what you want from the car

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Tidgy 12 January 2015 02:19 PM

mmm, syvecs,,,, lol

my old hawk's ecu struggled to control things at 390

MartynJ 12 January 2015 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by MattyB1983 (Post 11601752)
So the syvecs is basically the mapping cost more expensive then Martyn, roughly £300 ??

No the difference is more like double that.
Syvecs pnp ecu £1249 + vat
Mapping £450 + vat
Air temp sensor £10 + vat

Total cost £2038.80

Alcatek supplied fitted and mapped with the motorsport options inc vat £1340

p1junkie 12 January 2015 05:32 PM

i had the updated simtek befor my syvecs and i think the alcatek and simtek are similar and have to say the syvecs wins hands down for me for being as good as orig equip ecu
Mines going to be running my 2.35 build
if u can afford it get the syvecs but if cost is an issue the alcatek will do a good job
my build is a bit above the norm so syvecs is the only real choice but any car worried about having a maf still then aftermarket is the way to go

MattyB1983 12 January 2015 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by MartynJ (Post 11601897)
No the difference is more like double that.
Syvecs pnp ecu £1249 + vat
Mapping £450 + vat
Air temp sensor £10 + vat

Total cost £2038.80

Alcatek supplied fitted and mapped with the motorsport options inc vat £1340

£450 +vat for mapping Martyn :eek:

Why is it that much, I thought the usual rate was around the 300 mark. That's what I've always paid.

mickywrx 12 January 2015 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by MattyB1983 (Post 11602027)

Why is it that much, I thought the usual rate was around the 300 mark. That's what I've always paid.

8 separate maps on a Syvecs.

JGlanzaV 12 January 2015 08:32 PM

Ive got 8 optional maps on my alcatek?

MattyB1983 12 January 2015 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11602079)
Ive got 8 optional maps on my alcatek?

Alcatek can only have 2 separate maps I believe.

MattyB1983 12 January 2015 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by mickywrx (Post 11602074)
8 separate maps on a Syvecs.

Good point :thumb:

JGlanzaV 12 January 2015 08:47 PM

I believe this was done to death and it is indeed 8 separate maps? Martyn can explain when he comes back on to clairfy!

MattyB1983 12 January 2015 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11602094)
I believe this was done to death and it is indeed 8 separate maps? Martyn can explain when he comes back on to clairfy!

From what I've read it's 2 completely separate maps and then upto 8 permutations of the main maps.

I may be wrong though ofcourse.

" Improved ‘Dual Maps’
The ‘2nd map’ can now be used either as an offset from the ‘1st map’ or it can be an absolute map in its own right. This is separately selectable for Fuel & Ignition.

• NEW ‘Map Permutations’
Up to eight permutations of the main control maps are now selectable, either via a rotary switch, or Toucan touch screen. This allows the driver to quickly and easily adjust for the prevailing conditions and fuel type etc"

MartynJ 12 January 2015 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by MattyB1983 (Post 11602027)

Obviously people can charge whatever they like, however why should mapping a full stand alone ecu with all that's involved cost less or the same as mapping an OE ecu ?
When you factor in we own and operate our own rolling road and therefore the mapping cost reflects the use of the rolling road too, it's not really expensive is it ?

MartynJ 12 January 2015 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by MattyB1983 (Post 11602106)
From what I've read it's 2 completely separate maps and then upto 8 permutations of the main maps.

I may be wrong though ofcourse.

" Improved ‘Dual Maps’
The ‘2nd map’ can now be used either as an offset from the ‘1st map’ or it can be an absolute map in its own right. This is separately selectable for Fuel & Ignition.

• NEW ‘Map Permutations’
Up to eight permutations of the main control maps are now selectable, either via a rotary switch, or Toucan touch screen. This allows the driver to quickly and easily adjust for the prevailing conditions and fuel type etc"

The Syvecs isn't any different in that aspect, it just has 2 extra fuel and 2 extra ignition maps. You still don't actually have 8 full maps, you CAN build 8 maps from the fuel, ignition and boost tables available to you.

The SimTek + and Pro ecus work the same way too.

TimH 12 January 2015 11:34 PM

Syvecs has 4 ignition tables and 4 injector tables, I believe?

Also 12 "maps" which can choose from those tables as required, plus each can have different boost targets, rev limits, ALS maps (from 4), NOS maps (from 4), plus loads of other stuff like idle map etc.

Very very flexible...but mostly overkill for your average road car of course (who needs pit lane rev limits, per "map", on a road car lol).

TimH 12 January 2015 11:40 PM

(we're saying the same thing, Martyn :) )