ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Burble/rumble only from Type UK? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1017303-burble-rumble-only-from-type-uk.html)

blackieblob 23 December 2014 06:05 PM

Burble/rumble only from Type UK?

Hi, im looking for my first Impreza and told if I want the Burble I have to get a Type Uk as JDM cars don't have the rumble. Is this right?
Because im looking at a lot of nice JDM cars advertised and would it be handy enough to change headers or whatever to get the rumble then?
Also, is there any big disadvantage of JDM as opposed to UK as far as the insurance companies goes?
many thanks

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX 23 December 2014 06:58 PM

Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.

Andaru 23 December 2014 10:26 PM

The Blob and onwards JDM are twin scroll which use equal length headers and kill the best thing about a Scooby IMO. Give flux a call for insurance regardless, I got an agreed value of £12500 for £1400 and I'm 22 ;)

BBB3 23 December 2014 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Andaru (Post 11589160)
The Blob and onwards JDM are twin scroll which use equal length headers and kill the best thing about a Scooby IMO. Give flux a call for insurance regardless, I got an agreed value of £12500 for £1400 and I'm 22 ;)

Kill the best thing :lol1::lol1::lol1:

You haven't driven a twin scroll, sounds better than the burble and performs better :thumb:

:D

fawor 24 December 2014 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by BBB3 (Post 11589165)
Kill the best thing :lol1::lol1::lol1:

You haven't driven a twin scroll, sounds better than the burble and performs better :thumb:

:D

sounds better than mine with invidia n1 i dont think so,
i passed one jdm blob and sound was ****e, worst than lancer evo 8
its not about perform, there are way better cars on the market than yours which performs better -evo 9 gt etc

fat-thomas 24 December 2014 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by fawor (Post 11589339)
its not about perform, there are way better cars on the market than yours which performs better -evo 9 gt etc

twin scroll is not available on the sh1te wrx ;)

im sure you look great working at the car wash with your ebay ironing board on your wrx :lol1:

fl@ four 24 December 2014 12:51 PM

It depends what you're after, JDM variants are undoubtedly better spec'd but you do lose that signature sound with equal length headers. I have a genuine genome back box on mine though and that restores the burble quite nicely.

Insurance was about the same as a UK spec for me too.

Turbovin 24 December 2014 02:37 PM

JDM twin scrolls sound great at high revs, nothing like an evo. Pretty much all aftermarket equal length headers sound worse though.

Not a fan of the burble myself, it gives a boring low revving exhaust note.

BBB3 24 December 2014 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by fawor (Post 11589339)

Evo 9 gt etc :lol1:

Go drive a twin scroll and then I'll listen to you :D

Long as mine performs better than yours as standard, that'll do me :thumb:

TonyBurns 24 December 2014 05:53 PM

There still is a slight burble to the twin scroll but its not like that of the older cars, plus on most Subaru's they dont actually burble unless you start replacing the exhaust systems, but the JDM's sound better (twin scroll) as they are much more rally car sounding than the UK STI's.
Anyone who just buys a car for its sound needs to look and see if its the right car to start with, there is much more to it than that, drivability, power delivery, handling etc which is different between the models.

Tony:)

BBB3 24 December 2014 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 11589554)
There still is a slight burble to the twin scroll but its not like that of the older cars, plus on most Subaru's they dont actually burble unless you start replacing the exhaust systems, but the JDM's sound better (twin scroll) as they are much more rally car sounding than the UK STI's.
Anyone who just buys a car for its sound needs to look and see if its the right car to start with, there is much more to it than that, drivability, power delivery, handling etc which is different between the models.

Tony:)

Merry Xmas Tony or seasonal greetings :thumb:

Turbovin 24 December 2014 09:03 PM

I really think they have a nice song at high revs

Lee_ 24 December 2014 09:51 PM

I have recently had my RB5 converted to a twin scroll with equal length headers and whilst the car sounds very different it also sounds utterly epic with the Miltek exhaust. I actually prefer the sound and would not change it back.

The drivability is also massively improved with the twin scroll.

I only wish I'd know of this before!
Lee

BBB3 24 December 2014 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by fat-thomas (Post 11589350)
twin scroll is not available on the sh1te wrx ;)

im sure you look great working at the car wash with your ebay ironing board on your wrx :lol1:

You do make me laugh :lol1::lol1::lol1:

blackieblob 29 December 2014 10:32 PM

Thanks. So is it not that hard/expensive to burble/rumble a JDM car then.
Just change headers.....couple hundred quid job and burble back again?

BBB3 29 December 2014 11:16 PM

Yes it would be a complete waste to change it to get them burble back.
The twin scroll set up is designed to do what it do the best way.

Not as simple to change manifold...you'd need to change the whole lot then it would just be pointless to own a twinscroll

ScottyPPP 30 December 2014 10:40 PM

I like the sound of both, twin scrolls do sound a bit like VW Beetles though.

BBB3 30 December 2014 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by ScottyPPP (Post 11592605)
I like the sound of both, twin scrolls do sound a bit like VW Beetles though.

What the hell you on about? Twin scroll sounds like a beetle :lol1::lol1::lol1:

Mine doesn't sound like a beetle....and I've never heard a twin scroll sound like a beetle

ScottyPPP 30 December 2014 10:57 PM

Air cooled turbo beetles do sound similar, not saying its a bad thing.

BBB3 30 December 2014 11:01 PM

Maybe I've got selective hearing :lol1:

I do like a nice burble but I love the noise of my twin scroll on full chat.

Each to the own...