ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Those of you with beards..... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1017147-those-of-you-with-beards.html)

alcazar 19 December 2014 04:18 PM

Those of you with beards.....

Do they cause you any problems?

I've recently grown one for Movember, a goatee, BUT, it itched abominably all the time, and I got spots under it, despite washing it carefully twice daily, once with medicated shampoo and once with shower gel. it's now shaved off, and I discovered several hairs with infected follicles, now dealt with.

Anyone else had similar probs?

I had one for years when I was younger and had no such problems, although I do have very greasy skin.

b road blaster 19 December 2014 04:26 PM

No problems here but then again i have only ever shaved once and that was well over 20 yrs ago.I think its down to what your skin is used too,mine is used to a beard and yours is used to getting shaved.
So i bet my skin would play up if i started shaveing after so many yrs without doing so.

*matthewturb2000* 19 December 2014 04:27 PM

I shave when my face starts itching,luckily I don't have to be clean shaven for work everyday, I can't shave with razors as.it brings me up in a spotty rash under my chin, no rash when I'm bearded, other than the itchiness I wouldn't notice the beards(about 10mm long) there as it happens my face it itchy now haha
Ps I shave about once a week

BLU 19 December 2014 04:45 PM

I have a short goatee, which for the most part is fine. Its only when I get lazy and it get really long it itches. Shaved back to normal length then normal business is resumed :thumb:

LSherratt 19 December 2014 06:04 PM

I'm clean shaven :norty: My girlfriend loves it :thumb: I eventually want to try to learn to use a proper traditional razor the proper way.

gazney101 19 December 2014 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by LSherratt (Post 11586248)
I'm clean shaven :norty: My girlfriend loves it :thumb: I eventually want to try to learn to use a proper traditional razor the proper way.

A cut throat? My lass learnt to do it at college, practice on a balloon ;-)

WRXrowdy 19 December 2014 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by LSherratt (Post 11586248)

You are supposed to practice cut throat on a balloon, they are f'kin sharp.

ditchmyster 19 December 2014 06:16 PM

Mine depends on my mood, sometimes I shave, Sometimes I go full on Grizzly Adams. I spent many years in Corporate England and HAD to shave so now a days I rejoice in the fact that I don't have to. Full on beard and as scruffy as I can be suits me fine.

Honestly I really don't care, fcuk society. :D

Dingdongler 19 December 2014 06:43 PM

How comes beards have become so trendy these days? All the youngsters seem to be sporting the Bin Laden look in London.

Ant 19 December 2014 06:48 PM

I've got a beard and the itching will subside just got to man up and power through it :D

Matteeboy 19 December 2014 06:51 PM

I use a beard trimmer but keep it short.
When clean shaven (not for about three years) I look scruffy by the afternoon. I'm saving a fortune in razor blades!

An0n0m0us 19 December 2014 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11586259)
Mine depends on my mood, sometimes I shave, Sometimes I go full on Grizzly Adams. I spent many years in Corporate England and HAD to shave so now a days I rejoice in the fact that I don't have to. Full on beard and as scruffy as I can be suits me fine.

Honestly I really don't care, fcuk society. :D

Absolutely the same here. I trim mine back with my hair clippers when it gets a bit too unruly (when I can be bothered) but i'm not happy it seems every fcuker now seems to have grown a beard in some sort of fashion statement. I'm not part of that group and do not wish to be, mines through pure scruffiness/lazyness as shaving is an utter waste of time and money.

dpb 19 December 2014 07:18 PM

i get the various skin probs under the beard , probably is cos it itches after a while

but then can get similar shaven, which i do about 4 times a year - refreshing change

other than that i use clipper to get back to stubble once its too long

LSherratt 19 December 2014 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by gazney101 (Post 11586255)
A cut throat? My lass learnt to do it at college, practice on a balloon ;-)

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy (Post 11586256)
You are supposed to practice cut throat on a balloon, they are f'kin sharp.

That's the one. I've never grown a beard and don't really intend to. It's the new fashion at the moment and IMO it looks crap! Makes these "indie" 20-30 year olds look 40-50. I just don't get it....

BBB3 19 December 2014 07:30 PM

I'm currently in the process of growing a beard, it's the longest length I've ever had it
Starting to get the odd ginger hair :)

ScoobyDoo555 19 December 2014 07:45 PM

I've got the odd (read as a lot) grey hair. Wife HATES IT with a passion. Itches like feck. Might be gone tonight.

zip106 19 December 2014 07:49 PM

Mine tickles the wife's inner thighs.

hodgy0_2 19 December 2014 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 11586347)
Mine tickles the wife's inner thighs.

You have a hairy knob?

BBB3 19 December 2014 08:24 PM

Mines gone past the itching stage, after that it is all ok to let it go

chocolate_o_brian 19 December 2014 08:27 PM

I'm the opposite of you Jeff. I get awful shaving rash when clean shaven regardless of the method/products used. So I f***** gave up :lol1:

Always have a beard now. Anything from 1/8th to 2 inches long dependant on mood.

zip106 19 December 2014 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 11586396)
Anything from 1/8th to 2 inches long dependant on mood.

:Suspiciou

chocolate_o_brian 19 December 2014 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 11586434)
:Suspiciou

I know, I know, impressive eh? :smug:

:D

LSherratt 19 December 2014 09:42 PM

Those of you that say you get rashes, etc, when you shave, is that because you're using an electric shaver? If it is, try using a razor?

alcazar 19 December 2014 09:48 PM

I get shaving rash if I shave more than every three days or so.

And end up with a p*ss poor shave too, shaving too often.

angel1368 19 December 2014 09:52 PM

i used to always have a beard but since getting stabbed in the face and a chunk of skin gone my hair doesnt grow on the scar so looks weird so now im a goatee guy

chocolate_o_brian 19 December 2014 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by LSherratt (Post 11586475)
Those of you that say you get rashes, etc, when you shave, is that because you're using an electric shaver? If it is, try using a razor?

I've never used a shaver in my life. Always used a decent razor and shaving gel. I even tried balms etc for straight after to help the impending rash. To no avail so I gave up :D

Tony Harrington 20 December 2014 01:06 AM

I'm an 'in-betweener' regarding being clean shaven or short beard, what I find is I get irching & beardruff so I simply use some moisturiser in the morning & seems to stop any itching or scaling.

scunnered 20 December 2014 08:59 AM

I'm surprised nobody has yet mentioned the "lady beard".
Personally, I like them with a little hair, neatly trimmed.

tony de wonderful 20 December 2014 09:40 AM

Beard

jameswrx 20 December 2014 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 11586512)
I've never used a shaver in my life. Always used a decent razor and shaving gel. I even tried balms etc for straight after to help the impending rash. To no avail so I gave up :D

How about aftershave? Did you use proper aftershave? If I don't, I'll get a rash.

Electric shavers are the worst invention ever, hell knows how people get on with them. They're another gaurantee'd shaving rash for me, and then you've got the missed bits. Can't go wrong with a decent wet shave IMO, has to be decent Gillette too, even the suppose'd best wilkinson sword ones are rubbish.