ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   North Face McMurdo parka. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1016642-north-face-mcmurdo-parka.html)

Dave Y 10 December 2014 08:13 PM

North Face McMurdo parka.

Has anyone had one of these?
Do they keep the cold out?
Are they VFM
Is there anything out there thats any better in the same price bracket?

Markus 10 December 2014 08:27 PM

How about one of these, though not too sure on UK prices.

Actually, the expedition seems to be a massive rip-off in the UK, listed at about £825, which works out to CAD $1487, which is nuts, as the retail in Canada is $844

nik52wrx 10 December 2014 08:34 PM

Keeping it short...
Yes, yes and yes.
Anything better, as with everything, probably.

Nik.

Originally Posted by Dave Y (Post 11579209)
Has anyone had one of these?
Do they keep the cold out?
Are they VFM
Is there anything out there thats any better in the same price bracket?

Dave Y 10 December 2014 09:14 PM

Three yes's thats good enough for me.Now to find a good price.

RA Dunk 10 December 2014 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Y (Post 11579209)
Are they VFM

I fail to see how any jacket that costs £300 and upwards can be value for money.

Dave Y 10 December 2014 09:22 PM

I am diabetic i feel the cold when walking my dog.I am determined to stay warm this winter
Thanks for your input anyway.

nik52wrx 10 December 2014 09:32 PM

With a lot of things you get what you pay for.
I bought mine from link below.

http://www.gaynors.co.uk/mens/clothi...cmurdo-parka-2

Nik

boomer 10 December 2014 09:33 PM

I got one a few years ago from http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/ in Coventry (when they actually sold other brands, rather than their own "invented" ones). Bloody good price though - twas a couple of hundred rather than the 300+ now.

A very substantial parka, with lots of big pockets (but with a zip-on hood with pop-on "fur" - i would rather they were fixed on such a jacket).

Not been many opportunities to wear it in recent years (it is very warm) but it was "christened" down in Guildford and worked well at the time despite lots of snow.

So yes, they are brilliant, but maybe overkill for the UK.

Cheers,

mb

boomer 10 December 2014 09:37 PM

Oh, and the only problem was that it had a "girly" (i.e. left hand) main zip!

Maz 10 December 2014 10:06 PM

For keeping cold out I find thermal undershirt and long johns very effective. Several thinner layers trap heat far more effectively than one big overcoat (and cheaper). £800 for a jacket/coat is extortionate.

fatscoobfella1 10 December 2014 10:12 PM

I had a Mcmurdo and it was nice and warm,but was expensive..And i tore the freakin bottom half of the arm out on barbed wire and knacked it..

I have an M65 field jacket now,it has a detachable fleece inside and does a great job when out with the dog...

Matteeboy 10 December 2014 10:33 PM

I'm rather taken with this:

http://www.howies.co.uk/mens/clothin...ue-bronze.html

I buy lots of stuff from these guys too:

http://www.finisterreuk.com/shop/men...lus-parka.html

The Trooper 1815 10 December 2014 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 11579313)
For keeping cold out I find thermal undershirt and long johns very effective. Several thinner layers trap heat far more effectively than one big overcoat (and cheaper). £800 for a jacket/coat is extortionate.

Onion skin system.

JackClark 11 December 2014 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 11579330)

I'm liking that too, I have 10 year old Ventile trousers from Howies, still good.

Matteeboy 11 December 2014 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11579434)
I'm liking that too, I have 10 year old Ventile trousers from Howies, still good.

I recently bought their Epic waterproof jeans; amazing things!

Most of my clothes are from Howies or Finisterre (I happen to know the owner well and we worked with them in the early days).

None of this massive branding surf tat for us!

JackClark 11 December 2014 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 11579503)
I recently bought their Epic waterproof jeans; amazing things!

Most of my clothes are from Howies or Finisterre (I happen to know the owner well and we worked with them in the early days).

None of this massive branding surf tat for us!

Good to hear the jeans are good, next purchase.

Maz 11 December 2014 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11579335)
Onion skin system.

:thumb:
I wouldn't contemplate going out in winter without thermals. I cringe when I see scantily clad ladies and lads in t shirts shivering outside clubs and the like.

Dave Y 11 December 2014 12:17 PM

Since i have been diabetic i feel the cold a lot more.So this year i thought i would get better prepared.I will probably go with the several layers idea.Then i will be looking for thermal socks and gloves/mittens

Dave Y 12 December 2014 06:29 PM

I found an Army surplus store in Ross on Wye,I have bought a Swedish army parka,thermal socks and some thermal mittens.The fella says i will never be cold again. I know its not North face but at £55 for the lot i am willing to give it a go.The big test will be when i am watching the Wyedean Rally early next year stood around for 3/4 hours.

Dave Y 13 December 2014 10:51 AM

I tried it out this morning.Excellent bit of kit,

Maz 13 December 2014 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Y (Post 11581019)
I tried it out this morning.Excellent bit of kit,

Nice one. I'd also consider thermal long johns, very effective I was outside today in a temperature of -2 and my legs were toasty warm. :thumb:

Dave Y 13 December 2014 12:48 PM

I will put them on my xmas list.
I am well impressed with the army surplus gear.

LSherratt 13 December 2014 07:47 PM

For headwear I highly recommend furhatworld.com. I have a rabbit fur trapper style hat and it is very warm. Before the rabbit fur hat I bought the beaver fur Russian hat and I had to send it back as it was too warm.

Dave Y 14 December 2014 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by LSherratt (Post 11581298)
For headwear I highly recommend furhatworld.com. I have a rabbit fur trapper style hat and it is very warm. Before the rabbit fur hat I bought the beaver fur Russian hat and I had to send it back as it was too warm.

Its nice and warm in those chicken houses.

madscoob 14 December 2014 08:28 PM

WARRIOR TUSCAN waterproof windproof the warmest coat i have ever had. a bargain at £17.50 on ebay, i got mine free from work logoed up :thumb: i has to be bloody cold before you can wear anything more than a tshirt, with it :thumb:

mrtheedge2u2 16 December 2014 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by LSherratt (Post 11581298)

You must of looked a complete Bellend lol

http://www.furhatworld.com/images_wm...ka_Hat_345.jpg

Geezer 16 December 2014 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by RA Dunk (Post 11579277)
I fail to see how any jacket that costs £300 and upwards can be value for money.

Well, if you have ever been stuck on top of Grizedale for 4 hours in late November, in a gale, and the trees have been felled so there is no shelter, then you'll see how they become VFM ;)

I like a bargain, but I never skimp on outdoor gear.

However, if you just want it as nice coat to ponce about in the winter, then yes, £300 is questionable!

Matteeboy 16 December 2014 10:23 AM

Sealskinz beanies are good bonce covers - waterproof, breathable, warm.

I'd feel uncomfortable spending less than £100 on a jacket - what WOULD people think? ;)

LSherratt 16 December 2014 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2 (Post 11583283)
You must of looked a complete Bellend lol

Some of them are completely OTT! But no the more subtle ones are great and extremely warm. Plus I wouldn't dare wear a hat upwards like that, because yes then you would look like a knob! :lol1: