ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Turbo oil feed pipe (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1016459-turbo-oil-feed-pipe.html)

Bomber633 07 December 2014 08:03 PM

Turbo oil feed pipe

Hi all can any one advise a good alternative to the ridged pipe that feeds the turbo on what I deem a version 5 classic engine -

I have fitted a front mounted intercollegiate and spun the turbo compressor housing to keep the pipe runs short

This creates the issue of the original pipe not fitting

I though I would just have a banjo flexi pipe made up, but the thread in block is really odd

questions

does anyone know if there is a kit that I can buy to replace the original steel pipe
There is a spring restrictor I think in the banjo bolt - how important is that
Does anyone know what the the thread is in the block?

Any help would be appreciated this is the last issue to get over before I can fire the old girl up

gussy 07 December 2014 10:30 PM

Just take your old hard line pipework off the engine and get your local hydraulic pipe company to put an end on it then make up the flex pipe to suit with the proper ends on

FMJ 09 December 2014 01:43 AM

Get a HEL one about £30 and flexible. Don't get a cheap eBay one as they are crap. I had the supplied banjo bolt on a cheap one snap off in the head while doing it up to the correct torque. Not fun!

boosted 09 December 2014 01:24 PM

There is no thread in the block.
The thread in the head is M14 x 1.5, not at all uncommon for a banjo.
The restrictor is very important.
I'm struggling to understand why the original pipe won't work? Have you spun the cartridge or compressor hosting? Or does a hose now hit it?

Bomber633 11 December 2014 09:46 PM

Hi thanks for the reply folks = yes tapped hole in the head not block

I have spun the compressor housing so its a bit of a mixture of things that hit the original pipe

please see my other post FMC instalation on classic rally car

went to my local hose shop that litrally packed to the rafter with fittings but could not get any nut to fit on the Banjo bolt to ID the thread

thanks for the lead ill take a look

boosted 11 December 2014 09:54 PM

It's same thread as the banjos on the water pipes on turbo

Bomber633 11 December 2014 10:12 PM

ok right I think I have those somewhere - dont bother to fit the water feed pipe on the turbo they dont do anything worth mentioning and its just more joints to leak

Bomber633 18 December 2014 09:57 PM

just wanted to Thank FMJ for the lead on HEL

They are making me up a special - what a great company dead helpfull nothing was a problem, my hose is 200mm longer than the standard but the same price :luxhello:

They also knew a bit about the job which helps

let see what turns up but I would be shocked if there any issues - just seemed too thorough and asked the right questions

Bomber633 19 December 2014 10:30 AM

just an update

pipe arrived today like i said great service even with the busy xmas post, new length I calculated was spot on

even got the orientation of the Banjo's spot on

guess what the M14 thread is not M14 its M12

£30 in the bin Start Again!!!!

euan_r 19 December 2014 12:52 PM

i made mine up from -4 torques teflon braided line and fittings, banjo bolt which fits turbo is best left as is as they have different oil ways sizes across differing ranges.

boosted 19 December 2014 07:41 PM

-4 is 1/4" yo

Bomber633 19 December 2014 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by boosted (Post 11586341)
-4 is 1/4" yo

Whats this mean?

euan_r 20 December 2014 12:03 PM

-4 is one standard of measurement, imperial or metric are another. 3/16

boosted 20 December 2014 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by euan_r (Post 11586799)
-4 is one standard of measurement, imperial or metric are another. 3/16

Think your find it's 4/16's or a 1/4". Because one "dash -" equals one 16th of an inch. Thanks