ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Bigger wheels and tyres or just better tyres? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1016300-bigger-wheels-and-tyres-or-just-better-tyres.html)

mjharper 04 December 2014 08:52 AM

Bigger wheels and tyres or just better tyres?

Now my suspension has been upgraded I've realised how ****e my (budget) tyres are!

As my preference is always performance over aesthetics would going for a larger / wider wheel and tyre combo improve things or do I just need much better tyres on my standard Subaru wheels?

ta

Davec30 04 December 2014 09:09 AM

Tyres will make the difference. I bought my classic with budget tyres on and it was terrible. I changed to toyos and the difference is night and day. It actually wants to go round corners as aposed to straight on.

JDM_Stig 04 December 2014 09:10 AM

you get tram lining if you get bigger/wider wheels,
18s and 19s are horrible.

mjharper 04 December 2014 09:20 AM

Cool, now to choose which tyres! see a lot of people here like vredstein's there's so much choice :/

Lunchmoney 04 December 2014 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 11574421)

Can you elaborate? My STi has 18in wheels and corners just fine.

Scottie9 04 December 2014 10:03 AM

Tyres come down to personal preference really, I found this a good read :

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/

Im running Continental Sport Contact 3's at the minute, which im happy with. I had Michelin Pilot Sport 3's on my Evo 6, Toyos's on my Classic & Yoko's on my R5 GTT back in the day.

As you said there's so much choice, it comes down to how much do you want to spend but deffo don't put budgets on lol

:thumb:

WRXrowdy 04 December 2014 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 11574421)

Went from 215/45 17's to 225/40 18's and didn't notice much if any difference.

Op when you say budget, what brand?
I use kumho, which are considered budget by many (although tyreleader class them as quality brand along with vredestein and Yokohama) and found them to be pretty good. Nankang ns-2r get good reviews from people that have actually tried them, the vredestein Ultrac sessantas are highly rated on here.

Event runways, that were on my car when I bought it, were leathal.

fat-thomas 04 December 2014 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by mjharper (Post 11574413)
Now my suspension has been upgraded I've realised how ****e my (budget) tyres are!

As my preference is always performance over aesthetics would going for a larger / wider wheel and tyre combo improve things or do I just need much better tyres on my standard Subaru wheels?

ta

if your preference is performance over aesthetics firstly why do you have a wrx and secondly why do you have budget tyres??

id totally disagree with both statements as if performance was your number one priority you wouldnt have either.

Davec30 04 December 2014 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by parteepro (Post 11574507)
morning scooby lovers i have a vf48 turbo which is standard on a 2008 hatchback, i was told it has a crack near the waste gate valve.

my question is what power issues will i have with the crack, lots of people say it will run fine to 400 bhp with the relevant mods, yet other say not to chance it.
is it worth having the turbo overhauled or not

You've added this to a tyre thread:wonder: You'd be best off starting another:thumb:

MattyB1983 04 December 2014 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by fat-thomas (Post 11574505)
if your preference is performance over aesthetics firstly why do you have a wrx and secondly why do you have budget tyres??

id totally disagree with both statements as if performance was your number one priority you wouldnt have either.

:lol1:

scoobyjunky 04 December 2014 06:05 PM

Instead of commenting like a prick Everytime you write something why not just answer with your opinion you really are a judgmental **** maybe he's learning

Norman Dog 04 December 2014 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyjunky (Post 11574753)
Everytime you write something why not just answer with your opinion...

Isn't that what the rotund one just did?

As for the comment about 18" wheels, Subaru recommend they are fitted to the PPP cars to take advantage of the extra power and torque. Mine runs just fine on 18's..

But yes, a decent tyre is a must and the Vredstein Sessanta's are the best tyre I've used up to now. :thumb:

ronjeramy 04 December 2014 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyjunky (Post 11574753)
Instead of commenting like a prick Everytime you write something why not just answer with your opinion you really are a judgmental **** maybe he's learning

Don't feed the Troll.... :D

scoobyjunky 04 December 2014 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Norman Dog (Post 11574798)
Isn't that what the rotund one just did?

As for the comment about 18" wheels, Subaru recommend they are fitted to the PPP cars to take advantage of the extra power and torque. Mine runs just fine on 18's..

But yes, a decent tyre is a must and the Vredstein Sessanta's are the best tyre I've used up to now. :thumb:

whole

No it's isnt eveytime I see his comments it's always bull**** that has no releation to the thread just answer the question instead of giving pointless remarks about what people do with there car !!!

fat-thomas 04 December 2014 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyjunky (Post 11574868)
whole

No it's isnt eveytime I see his comments it's always bull**** that has no releation to the thread just answer the question instead of giving pointless remarks about what people do with there car !!!

Are you special
Firstly its relation ;)
Secondly the post was very relevant if you read it.

scoobyjunky 04 December 2014 09:16 PM

Never been on a phone with predictive txt no
Didn't realise this was a spelling bee

it isn't revelent is it the op asked about tyres and wheels not your judgement on what car he has so what if he has a wrx just another pointless comment again as you do Everytime you comment clever clogs

bustaMOVEs 04 December 2014 10:18 PM

I think 20" wheels with 285/25/20 will work best for your needs.

mickeymouse 04 December 2014 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by mjharper (Post 11574413)

ta

I have 18s on my hawk.. As do many others including the RB320.. So not sure on the quote about tram lining... Mine did.. But only when I was running the original Bridgestone tires.. Now using Michelin pilot sport 3 I think:thumb:

jura11 05 December 2014 02:23 AM

Hi there

As above budget tyres on the any performance cars like is Subaru is big NO.

Depends on budget,but usually I recommend go with Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta which has been great on our wagon,they're suited well for New Age Subaru,not so very well for classic,where most of people go with Toyo T1R,which are pretty poor on New age,due they're have soft sidewall

Really depends on budget,but I would go like above Michelin PS or Goodyear Asymmetric 2 or Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta,really depends on budget and where car is used

Thanks,Jura

mjharper 05 December 2014 09:58 AM

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20...ix-d303uk7.jpg

mjharper 05 December 2014 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by jura11 (Post 11575023)
Hi there

As above budget tyres on the any performance cars like is Subaru is big NO.

Depends on budget,but usually I recommend go with Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta which has been great on our wagon,they're suited well for New Age Subaru,not so very well for classic,where most of people go with Toyo T1R,which are pretty poor on New age,due they're have soft sidewall

Really depends on budget,but I would go like above Michelin PS or Goodyear Asymmetric 2 or Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta,really depends on budget and where car is used

Thanks,Jura

Ta, I've always known they needed replacing, it's what the car came with and I replaced a couple like for like to get through the last MOT - Now I'll have the fundage to get some real tyres!

jaygsi 05 December 2014 10:09 AM

Its like listing to a woman nag nag nag nag :)

I wouldn't go too big alloys either, as the bigger your wheels get, will reduce your acceleration, i'm running 205 at the mo, but my other impreza is running 215, and that feels abit more planted so will be up grading soon

Trinity 05 December 2014 10:10 AM

Only d********s use budget tyres, even on a 1.0 Fiesta. They should be banned completely.

Tyres - the most important thing on your car.

GH80 05 December 2014 10:15 AM

Mine came with 18 inch PFF7's and ****ty Runways and it handled like a big tram, absolutely terrible.

I changed a few months after I bought it with standard widetrack/hawk alloys with goodyear F1's (thanks to a member on here) and it completely changed the car for the better.

No more tramlinging and the ride is lovely, just glides over rough surfaces but still gives decent feedback. I would like to try decent tyres on 18's, but I think the PFF7s look poo anyway :)

jaygsi 05 December 2014 10:18 AM

Wish mine handled like a tram. On rails ;)

Trinity 05 December 2014 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by GH80 (Post 11575111)
, but I think the PFF7s look poo anyway :)

Better go to Specsavers then :)

[IMG]http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps8aa367a6.jpg[/IMG]

GH80 05 December 2014 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Trinity (Post 11575114)
Better go to Specsavers then :)

[IMG]http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps8aa367a6.jpg[/IMG]

Not my cup of tea, prefer mine on standard Enkei's. PFF7's dish the wrong way, remind me of TSW Venoms! Chav wheel! ;)

Mine is standard ride height and looks silly with PFF7's, you need a drop to make it look decent (as above).

Has anyone run proper snow rims in the snow? Is there such a thing as a 5.5 or 6 wide rim that will fit over Brembo's that isnt made of magnesium and costs as much as my whole car?

WRXrowdy 05 December 2014 11:07 AM

GH80, have a look on tyre leader, I was looking at winters and thought I'd check out the steelies that they have, I know they do 6.5 x 16" doubt they will clear brembos but don't know if they sell any that do, might be worth a look. Only £43 a wheel and less susceptible to pothole damage being steel.

Come to think about it, they look similar to the 16" spec c wheels, but I don't think that version came with brembos.

Trinity 05 December 2014 11:08 AM

Where do you guys live, Canada? or are you worrying about your wheels in the couple of weeks of snow we sometimes get? :)

GH80 05 December 2014 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Trinity (Post 11575130)
Where do you guys live, Canada? or are you worrying about your wheels in the couple of weeks of snow we sometimes get? :)

What I am thinking while looking for snow tyres:

http://41.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma...lclo1_1280.jpg

What is more likely to happen though:

http://www.nightskyhunter.com/images...14th013-12.jpg