ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   which tyres to buy (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1016027-which-tyres-to-buy.html)

dan320sti 28 November 2014 09:08 PM

which tyres to buy

hi chaps iv got a hawkeye sti and she need some new boots what do you all suggest iv just gone through some bridgestone protenzas cheers

Marietto 28 November 2014 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by dan320sti (Post 11570913)
hi chaps iv got a hawkeye sti and she need some new boots what do you all suggest iv just gone through some bridgestone protenzas cheers

Can't go wrong with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - Best tyre I have ever had on a car including my 480bhp Hawkeye STI, worth the money. Wet grip is amazing as well as dry grip

dan320sti 28 November 2014 10:18 PM

can i just ask how did you get 480 bhp in your hawkeye lol iv been quoted 12 grand to boost the power to 400 from 320

Marietto 28 November 2014 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by dan320sti (Post 11570964)
can i just ask how did you get 480 bhp in your hawkeye lol iv been quoted 12 grand to boost the power to 400 from 320

Here you go mate - here is my for sale thread which lists the spec of the car

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444...erminator.html

Worst decision I ever made selling it by the way!

Bean592 29 November 2014 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Marietto (Post 11570940)
Can't go wrong with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - Best tyre I have ever had on a car including my 480bhp Hawkeye STI, worth the money. Wet grip is amazing as well as dry grip

I'll second this, when I bought the car it had just had brand new budget tires on and to say they were shocking would be an understatement, upgraded to the above on my standard PPP widetrack and I'm now very happy with the grip they provide along with the vastly reduced road noise :)

sivo 29 November 2014 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Marietto (Post 11570940)

^^^^^^^^^^^ this.

Would highly recommend the Goodyear eagle f1, outstanding all rounder and very predictable in the wet.

Siv :thumb:

HawkerSTI 29 November 2014 09:50 AM

I've just put another set of Bridgestone SOO1 on my Hawkeye STI PPP, i can't fault them. Wet and dry grip are excellent and they hold up well on trackdays.

karloswrxsti 29 November 2014 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by sivo (Post 11571111)
^^^^^^^^^^^ this.

Would highly recommend the Goodyear eagle f1, outstanding all rounder and very predictable in the wet.

Siv :thumb:

I have a set of wheels and tyres on sale at Pistonheads with goodyear Eagle F1 if you are interested.

banny sti 29 November 2014 05:08 PM

hankook ventus v12 evo 2 :)

Steve T 29 November 2014 06:44 PM

Michelin Pilot Sport 3,s. Great in wet or dry weather. Was that impressed with first set replaced with same. :thumb: Steve.

MrNoisy 30 November 2014 10:51 AM

I wasn't a fan of Goodyear in the past due to what I felt were excessive wear rates on a few sets of Eagle F1 GSD2 and 3's, so tempted to try the Asymmetrics now the price is more sensible and sub-£100 a corner.

On a higher power car (380+) I personally wouldn't recommend:
- Vredestein Ultrac Vortis (take too long to warm up, and don't inspire confidence IMHO, I've never been fully happy with them)
- Hankook Evo Ventus v12 (don't think I tried the v2) - were OK but felt skittish / broke traction much earlier than I would have expected them to - not really a high performance tyre I don't think.

When I bought the car on its OEM alloys it was running 225/40 R17 Continental Sport Contact 3's and I honestly thought they were the best gripping tyre I'd ever driven on but I never got to drive them much in the wet as we had such a dry summer.

I was a big fan of Vredetsein Ultrac Sessantas in the past but on higher power cars not so sure
A mate ran Bridgestone S001's on his 380bhp blob and I was very impressed with the grip level. Also heard great things about Pilot Sports but again never run them.
Tempted to try a track day at the start of next year and kill off the Vorti's and replace them with something else. Subscribed :thumb:

MrNoisy 30 November 2014 10:56 AM

Handy link for you:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm

dan320sti 30 November 2014 04:48 PM

mate both of those car a the dog bollocks i wish i had the time to do that to my scoob
how much did the engine mods cost by the way because like i said iv been quoted 10k
if you dont mind me asking

MrNoisy 01 December 2014 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by dan320sti (Post 11571920)
mate both of those car a the dog bollocks i wish i had the time to do that to my scoob
how much did the engine mods cost by the way because like i said iv been quoted 10k
if you dont mind me asking

Sorry who is that question directed to before we all answer? :)