ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Sport (https://www.scoobynet.com/sport-35/)
-   -   Phil Hughes (https://www.scoobynet.com/sport-35/1015798-phil-hughes.html)

Funkii Munkii 25 November 2014 11:19 AM

Phil Hughes

Sickening injury here's wishing him a full recovery :thumb:

mickeymouse 25 November 2014 01:19 PM

Tbh it's not looking to good for him.. Although he is a fairly young blokey he might get the chance to play again IF he makes... Also spare a thought for the bowler.. I doubt very much he will ever be the same.. So Australia cricket has lost 2 good young blokes..

And they was only playing cricket.....makes you wonder does it not.......

urban 26 November 2014 07:52 AM

Why are the helmets not more safe?
Like the gap at the front for example, never mind the sides

An0n0m0us 27 November 2014 08:21 AM

What an utterly shocking end to a promising young life :(

RIP Phil Hughes.

hodgy0_2 27 November 2014 08:31 AM

Very sad news, horrible to half hear it on the radio news as I was waking up

Cpt Jack Sparrow 27 November 2014 08:58 AM

At only 25 too, terrible

Funkii Munkii 27 November 2014 10:38 AM

Totally shocked taking the kids to school and hearing the news on the radio.

Very very sad, I still cant quite believe it :(

RIP Phil

An0n0m0us 27 November 2014 10:48 AM

I just hope it leads to huge improvements in batting helmets and their design. Yes it is a freak accident but the fact is the risk no matter how small needs to be eliminated altogether.

Blue by You 27 November 2014 11:10 AM

It's very sad and regrettable when somebody is lost in the persuit of a 'game' or other form of sport, even more so when they are so young.

However life is nothing without risk, and the acknowledgement of the risk and employment of suitable measures to mitigate the risk, are part of the game. It's impossible to completely eliminate risk. At what point do we say that any given activity is not worth the risk to life and limb?

We need people like Phil Hughes, and the Schumachers and Bianchis of the world to inspire more ordinary people like us. If it weren't for their like we would still be living in caves for fear of something bad beyond the doorway.

It's a dangerous world, let's be careful out there.

Cpt Jack Sparrow 27 November 2014 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Blue by You (Post 11569625)
It's very sad and regrettable when somebody is lost in the persuit of a 'game' or other form of sport, even more so when they are so young.

However life is nothing without risk, and the acknowledgement of the risk and employment of suitable measures to mitigate the risk, are part of the game. It's impossible to completely eliminate risk. At what point do we say that any given activity is not worth the risk to life and limb?

We need people like Phil Hughes, and the Schumachers and Bianchis of the world to inspire more ordinary people like us. If it weren't for their like we would still be living in caves for fear of something bad beyond the doorway.

It's a dangerous world, let's be careful out there.

Great Post:thumb:

joz8968 27 November 2014 12:35 PM

I was shocked hearing this news. Really thought he'd pull through.

Such is the rarity of this, you never really entertain that someone would actually die being hit by the ball - no matter where it strikes.

Sobering.

Cpt Jack Sparrow 27 November 2014 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 11569686)
I was shocked hearing this news. Really thought he'd pull through.

Such is the rarity of this, you never really entertain that someone would actually die being hit by the ball - no matter where it strikes.

Sobering.

Lad I was at school with died after being hit on the temple with a tennis ball in the playgroud.....

it doesn't take that much to do the damage.

daveyj 27 November 2014 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us (Post 11569616)
I just hope it leads to huge improvements in batting helmets and their design. Yes it is a freak accident but the fact is the risk no matter how small needs to be eliminated altogether.

According to the news, he was wearing a 2013 helmet. The 2014 version is more protective around the area he was hit, but they stated the was no guarantee that what happened could or would have been prevented by them.

joz8968 27 November 2014 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cpt Jack Sparrow (Post 11569749)

Lad I was at school with died after being hit on the temple with a tennis ball in the playgroud.....

it doesn't take that much to do the damage.

For sure. The pressure points are the vulnerable areas.

But you just don't think it'll happen, regardless (despite the fact that it can, quite easily).

Poor Mr Hughes was indeed that 1 in 100,000 (or whatever the odds may be).

:(

Maz 27 November 2014 06:33 PM

Tragic. A freak accident but shows you just how dangerous cricket is. Rip Phil Hughes. :(

Dirk Diggler 75 27 November 2014 07:22 PM

R.I.P Phil Hughes ...

joz8968 27 November 2014 07:24 PM

I never got over my fear of the hard ball (for catching), whilst at school.

I've since not tried to catch one as a 'man'... Be interesting to find out if the fear has gone.

Mouser 28 November 2014 11:27 AM

Tragic outcome for everyone concerned.

The Dogs B******s 28 November 2014 11:07 PM

Just awful, R.I.P.

hodgy0_2 29 November 2014 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us (Post 11569616)

But you can't eliminate all risk - simply implement sensible precautions

You can't "legislate" out freak accidents - by their very nature they are out of the ordinary, unpredictable, unforeseeable "freak" in fact

An0n0m0us 29 November 2014 11:05 AM

I understand that Hodgy but how many times do you see a batsman duck out of a bouncer and turn his head away exposing the side/back of his head. It was only a matter of time before someone was going to get hit like that and that's what I was getting at. They need to review the helmet design to see how far they can extend it to cover that exposed area when the head is turned away from a bouncer.

hodgy0_2 29 November 2014 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us (Post 11571157)
I understand that Hodgy but how many times do you see a batsman duck out of a bouncer and turn his head away exposing the side/back of his head. It was only a matter of time before someone was going to get hit like that and that's what I was getting at. They need to review the helmet design to see how far they can extend it to cover that exposed area when the head is turned away from a bouncer.

Sure, I understand - and agree, look at ways to improve the helmets

I just get worried when people start talking about banning bouncers etc

You then start changing the essence of the game

mtb_ed 29 November 2014 01:41 PM

Absolutely stunned by this! Such a young man playing the game he loved. Rip!

As regards the changes etc people are calling for, this is a complete freak accident. Too many changes will change the future of the sport. For example Ice Hockey, the keeper wears a full face helmet, with kneck protection. And unfortunatly at the wrong time, position etc a throat or two have been caught with the ski's slitting their throat.

As above really, a freak accident which will probably never happen again in the history of cricket! A game I love and am deeply saddened by it's lose!

An0n0m0us 29 November 2014 04:50 PM

In no way do I think bouncers need banning and that was never meant as part of my suggestion to eliminate the risk, I was talking purely about helmet design.