ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Alternative to Defis? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1015522-alternative-to-defis.html)

JamesDundee 19 November 2014 07:01 PM

Alternative to Defis?

Just wondering if there is a genuine alternative to Defi's out there? Something perhaps that is a little less flash but still accurate & decent quality. Obviously you pay for the quality with Defi's but I personally believe youre also paying for the name & the special features.

Anyone do a decent 60mm gauge with high quality, high accuracy & no bells & whistles?

I'm discounting Prosport on the ground of their questionable quality, and they look a bit cheap to me. Depo gauges seem to be ok but a little tarty...

Ideally Id have got something to go in a single DIN slot but I'm running a double DIN headunit so dont have the space.

rb5 stu 19 November 2014 07:31 PM

Nothing to see here, lol

JamesDundee 19 November 2014 07:48 PM

Jesus they're cheap! Quick delete your link so nobody else can buy them lol

Fonzey 19 November 2014 07:50 PM

What Prosports have you seen? I wouldn't dismiss them so quickly, make some pretty good gauges nowadays.

rb5 stu 19 November 2014 07:50 PM

Give him a call. He says he will post ok.

SAM-UK300 19 November 2014 08:30 PM

I love the HDI gauges, they are brilliant, and a bargain...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDi-SBG-DR...item35deaf5644

They do...

Boost
Oil Temp
Oil Press
Water Temp

banny sti 19 November 2014 08:44 PM

Spa gauges

JamesDundee 19 November 2014 09:13 PM

I think those ones have come at the wrong time Stu!!!
Spa gauge are quite dear are they not?
Sam - How accurate/good quality are they?

jazzyjembreaze 19 November 2014 09:45 PM

I have a set of "drift iradium " gauges wich will be up for sale in the new year
I'm not sure on reviews ( maybe someone can )
But they look nice & certainly are not cheap new
They are digital red

matt12 19 November 2014 10:33 PM

Heard that the shadow gauges are good

JamesDundee 20 November 2014 12:16 PM

Ill check out Shadow gauges cheers! I think RCM do a set!

ronjeramy 20 November 2014 01:27 PM

The depo ones look a little like deffi's.

markb_s1 20 November 2014 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by banny sti (Post 11564342)
Spa gauges

what he said! :cool:

trevsjwood 20 November 2014 05:42 PM

Stack do a good range and they fall between in price, I have the Stack in car fuel pressure gauge with a silver face and it looks cool when lit up at night. Demon Tweeks sell the range.
Trev

Big sparks 20 November 2014 07:19 PM

Shadow pro 2 will be my next choice for accuracy and quality , if I could make it look nice I would fit a toucan !

JamesDundee 20 November 2014 08:13 PM

Do Stack do a 60mm? I'm leaning towards the Shadow Pro 2s.

Henrik 20 November 2014 08:20 PM

Note, I'm not being sarcastic, but when you say you want an accurate gauge, why do you want this exactly?

Take the following scenario:

Gauge A costs 300 and displays the correct temperature or boost pressure or oil pressure (or whatever) to 3 significant digits (i.e. 1.54 bar boost, or 7.52 bar oil pressure, 94.1 degrees temp etc)

Gauge B costs 30 and displays the value to slightly less than 2 significant digits (i.e. roughly 1.5 bar boost, roughly 7.2-7.6 bar oil pressure, 92-97 degrees etc).

As long as gauge B is near enough linear in its response, gauge A doesn't really give you anything of value compared to B. You'd still be looking for DIFFERENCES in your measured values to spot issues, and you could equally well do that on gauge A or B.

For example, oil temperature: does it matter if the gauge used to say 94-95 degrees and now says 115, or 94.1-94.5 and now says 114.3? The information conveyed to a driver is basically the same for both cases - slow down or fit an oil cooler.

JamesDundee 20 November 2014 11:51 PM

Very good point. By accuracy, I mean that I've heard that Defis don't read 100% correct, and that rather than being concerned about my dials reading 1.5 bar when it's actually 1.53; I'm more concerned about my gauges reading 1.5 bar of boost wen it's actually 1.6 bar and I'm damaging my car.
As you said, oil temp is a warning, so you'd back off before it got too hot, and oil pressure I imagine is only an issue at either extreme of the scale (too much or not enough). However having a boost gauge that wasn't measuring correctly would be a waste of money. Hence me wanting to stay away from the cheaper gauges, or the mid prices gauges that are essentially the cheaper ones but with added spangly flashing lights and swoopy displays.

trevsjwood 21 November 2014 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by JamesDundee (Post 11564939)
Do Stack do a 60mm? I'm leaning towards the Shadow Pro 2s.

it does appear they come in 52mm only, also to note if a gauge isn't in stock at the dealer there can be a 4-5 week wait time, the Shadow does look a nice item