ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   iOS 8.1.1 available now (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/1015423-ios-8-1-1-available-now.html)

JackClark 17 November 2014 09:27 PM

iOS 8.1.1 available now

Bug fixes.

stevebt 17 November 2014 09:43 PM

I don't have enough free space to get it and I'm sick of keep deleting games for them to bring an update out soon after I install one.

bustaMOVEs 17 November 2014 10:03 PM

Done, was sick of slight slowness on the iPhone 4s and the odd mishaps sonce upgraded to 8

JackClark 17 November 2014 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 11563003)
I don't have enough free space to get it and I'm sick of keep deleting games for them to bring an update out soon after I install one.

Connect your phone to iTunes. It'll charge it as a bonus.

jameswrx 17 November 2014 11:34 PM

Thank feck, downloading it now. My 4s has been rubbish since iOS 8, hope it sorts it. It does actually say bug fixes for 4 s on the update headline, fingers crossed.

Geezer 18 November 2014 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11563036)
Connect your phone to iTunes. It'll charge it as a bonus.

What about people who don't have a computer? More and more people will just have a tablet or phone.

dpb 18 November 2014 05:06 PM

You'll just have buy mortgage your house an stump up for an imac

JackClark 18 November 2014 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Geezer (Post 11563514)
What about people who don't have a computer? More and more people will just have a tablet or phone.

They delete a game and install the update. It's not that big an issue and you won't find an operating system that doesn't need space to update.

Geezer 18 November 2014 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11563558)
They delete a game and install the update. It's not that big an issue and you won't find an operating system that doesn't need space to update.

It does if deleting the game loses your progress. Besides, if, like my daughter, your iPad is full of rubbish, but not rubbish to her, she would have to delete an awful lot of stuff.

Of course, you are quite correct that any OS upgrade needs space, but iOS updates do seem unnecessarily large, especially as Apple charge the earth for higher storage models and don't give the option of adding extra space.

It's poor. I don't have to attach my phone to anything to update it. Biggest update I have seen is about 500mb, which is both manageable in terms of download times and keeping free space.

Norman Dog 18 November 2014 07:17 PM

Can you Jailbreak that one yet? :wonder:

JackClark 18 November 2014 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Geezer (Post 11563586)
It does if deleting the game loses your progress. Besides, if, like my daughter, your iPad is full of rubbish, but not rubbish to her, she would have to delete an awful lot of stuff.

Of course, you are quite correct that any OS upgrade needs space, but iOS updates do seem unnecessarily large, especially as Apple charge the earth for higher storage models and don't give the option of adding extra space.

It's poor. I don't have to attach my phone to anything to update it. Biggest update I have seen is about 500mb, which is both manageable in terms of download times and keeping free space.

I think this update was 30mb. And as mentioned nothing has to be deleted from a full phone if you connect to iTunes, if the game saves and "rubbish" is that important finding a computer won't be hard.

Geezer 18 November 2014 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11563687)
I think this update was 30mb. And as mentioned nothing has to be deleted from a full phone if you connect to iTunes, if the game saves and "rubbish" is that important finding a computer won't be hard.

30mb, ok, fine, but iOS 8 was 5GB. "Finding a computer", come on, that's rubbish and you know it.

JackClark 18 November 2014 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Geezer (Post 11563767)
30mb, ok, fine, but iOS 8 was 5GB. "Finding a computer", come on, that's rubbish and you know it.

My mother has my old iPad, she's never owned a computer, taking me out of the equation I can think of at least 5 people who could help her within the hour should she manage to fill 65gb with photos of cats she can't bring herself to delete.

Geezer 19 November 2014 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11563790)
My mother has my old iPad, she's never owned a computer, taking me out of the equation I can think of at least 5 people who could help her within the hour should she manage to fill 65gb with photos of cats she can't bring herself to delete.

But that is the issue, you shouldn't have to rely on others. It should just work, as Apple like to say. However, it won't, without outside help.

JackClark 19 November 2014 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Geezer (Post 11563926)
But that is the issue, you shouldn't have to rely on others. It should just work, as Apple like to say. However, it won't, without outside help.

You're just being argumentative. There are three options, 1) you make enough space, not difficult. 2) You connect to iTunes, incredibly easy. 3) sell your iPhone and get an Android device, you don't have to worry about updates for long.

jameswrx 19 November 2014 05:26 PM

Well, I can report after a couple of days.. No difference! bugs still bugging me, email still snarling and the 'email received tone' stutters and/or comes in seconds after it should, clicking links on web pages half of the time now has no visual indication the link has been pressed, going back on safari results in the previous page briefly appearing, then the current page coming back before finally ending back on the previous page you wanted. Address bar at the top merges over web pages. Zooming in and scrolling as page loads results in zooming out and page movement on it's own.

All since IOS 8.

And before anyone says it, I even cleared nearly everything off my phone and that didn't help, I even done a total restore of the phone on my PC.

I wish I could go back to iOS 7 :(

And before I get told I'm unique.. My girlfriend's 5 is the same and my mate's 6+ does the same stuff too.

JackClark 19 November 2014 06:10 PM

Must be the air where you live. None of that here on a 5s and 6+

jameswrx 19 November 2014 08:23 PM

How did I know that was coming.

Go on, tell us a fault with your iPhone!

JackClark 19 November 2014 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by jameswrx (Post 11564321)
How did I know that was coming.

Go on, tell us a fault with your iPhone!

The camera sticks out a bit. It's annoying.

dpb 19 November 2014 11:08 PM

You can get cream for that

Beef 20 November 2014 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11564214)
Must be the air where you live. None of that here on a 5s and 6+

It drove my missus sufficiently to distraction with her iPad 2 that she's now junked it in favour of a Surface Pro 3.

Yes, she has tried a full reset. Yes, she had applied all the updates (bar yesterday's - too late by then). Features had been turned off, etc etc - but she kept getting hangs/crashes in safari, apps taking an age to load, the complaint list was lengthy.

All of this would have been forgiveable were it not for their policy of not allowing you to revert back to previous OS's. That one-way upgrade has, in her eyes, turned a perfectly good piece of technology into a nigh-unusable piece of junk, and her stance is that she'll likely never buy an Apple product again.

JackClark 20 November 2014 09:26 AM

"To be fair my 2012 N7 hangs/lags/crashes on KitKat"

Definitely the air around your way.

If my old iPad 2 ever makes it back to my place I'll screen record it working normally.

dpb 20 November 2014 09:30 AM

Chopping board :)

JackClark 20 November 2014 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11564548)
Chopping board :)

Your last two posts have been about "Cream" and "Chopping Boards" I think you need to go back to the doctor, get different medication.

ALi-B 21 November 2014 07:22 PM

Hmmm, upgraded on wednesday, 100% battery this morning. Look at it now..1% I haven't used it all day - not even a text! :mad:

Plug it into a PC to charge, it went straight up to 50%. WTF!?

:mad:

jameswrx 21 November 2014 08:55 PM

I've had iPhones since the very first one, they've certainly got a lot worse with the software bugs.

JackClark 21 November 2014 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11565637)
Hmmm, upgraded on wednesday, 100% battery this morning. Look at it now..1% I haven't used it all day - not even a text! :mad:

What does Battery Usage tell you?

Cannon Fodder 22 November 2014 07:36 AM

I've noticed since the update that the screen rotation sometimes doesn't work very well/slow to respond, it's not a major problem more of an annoyance.

Aaron1978 22 November 2014 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11565637)

Battery will have failed, the other half's IP5 used to do that all the time. Finally got to take it into Apple and when they plugged it in that's what they told us.

Just under 2 years old and they wanted £59 to replace the battery :lol1:.

There was a batch of faulty batteries in certain phones, if you type your serial number into the Apple website it will tell you if yours is one of them and they'll do it for free. Her phone showed all the symptoms and was exactly the same fault as the recalled devices (their words), but because her serial number wasn't (in their opinion) one of the affected ones they wanted paying.

Oh, and to add to that, my IP5 did exactly the same as hers and yours a month later though it was just over two years old.

Also, if updating, just back your phone up to iCloud, then restore phone to factory settings then update then restore from icloud backup. You then don't need to delete anything and don't need a computer either;)

ALi-B 22 November 2014 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 11565861)
I've noticed since the update that the screen rotation sometimes doesn't work very well/slow to respond, it's not a major problem more of an annoyance.

Mine has done that since day one.

I just tap it on the top it coax it into the correct orientation. I still get teh odd upside down picture though.

Battery usage didn't say much...everything in the last 24hrs below 5% usage, so that draws a blank. Maybe its the battery, but its been OK today...on 64 % as I type after some mild inter-webbing and the odd text :wonder: