ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Matching tyres-is it essential?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1015023-matching-tyres-is-it-essential.html)

Ellie* 10 November 2014 08:27 PM

Matching tyres-is it essential??

Need a new tyre due to one popping on the back. I know you should ideally replace them all together but would it really be so bad to just replace both the rears?? The tyres on the front have been on a while so would it be better to stick part worns on the back to make the tread levels more similar to the front??
Should I at least try and get the same tyres as what's on the front?!

At the moment I've got awful Pirelli's on the back and bridgestones on the front because I needed a tyre to pass the mot and the nearest place I could get a tyre there and then only did part worns, so had 2 Pirelli's put on.

Thanks

ditchmyster 10 November 2014 08:33 PM

Bite the bullet and go get yourself a full set of Vredestein ultrac sessantas, it's not the time of year to be riding around on part worn miss matched tyres.:thumb:

Steve Whitehorn 10 November 2014 08:34 PM

Yes you should have matching tires on each axle

Seeing as you hate the Pirelli's and one has gone on the back.
Get two new bridgestones on the backs and then put them on the front
And put the two part worn bridgestones on the back.

I guess you car under-steers on the limits and so I would put more grip on the front than the rear.

Plus they will wear twice as quick on the front as on the rear.
So that should get you to the point where all four bridgestones have worn out at the same point.

Then personaly I would put 4 Eagle F1s on.

Ellie* 10 November 2014 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11558075)
Bite the bullet and go get yourself a full set of Vredestein ultrac sessantas, it's not the time of year to be riding around on part worn miss matched tyres.:thumb:

True. I don't think vredestein do 16's because I've looked at those before, but may be wrong.

Originally Posted by Steve Whitehorn (Post 11558077)
Yes you should have matching tires on each axle

Seeing as you hate the Pirelli's and one has gone on the back.
Get two new bridgestones on the backs and then put them on the front
And put the two part worn bridgestones on the back.

I guess you car under-steers on the limits and so I would put more grip on the front than the rear.

Plus they will wear twice as quick on the front as on the rear.
So that should get you to the point where all three bridgestones have worn out at the same point.

Then personaly I would put 4 Eagle F1s on.

I was going to put eagle f1s on all 4 but was told they'd not last very long on an impreza. Misinformed??
Good point, I'll get the fronts on the back and the newer ones on the front, then replace all 4 when due.

Thanks

BoozyDave 10 November 2014 09:20 PM

I know the front tyres wear down faster, but always put new tyres on the rear.

if front tyres have less grip, you understeer into corners. not great, but not too bad.
but, if you have less on the rear, the front tyres will grip and pull the front into the corner, then the rears lose grip and you end up going backwards into a hedge or wall :(

Ellie* 10 November 2014 10:55 PM

Oh yeah, I've read that before. Cheers for reminder!!

FMJ 10 November 2014 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by BoozyDave (Post 11558124)

if front tyres have less grip, you understeer into corners. not great, but not too bad.
but, if you have less on the rear, the front tyres will grip and pull the front into the corner, then the rears lose grip and you end up going backwards into a hedge or wall :(

Been in that hedge! Yeah unless you are good at catching cars when they let go you definitely are better off with under steer. Even if you are good at catching the back end it can still surprise you. I love being on the limit of grip but on the day I lost it I was driving fairly slowly not trying at all, not concentrating like i would be if I was driving quickly and bang it went. Ruined my confidence in wet weather driving despite the fact I know that the reason for the spin was oily residue on the road after a long dry spell (actually felt like ice underfoot).

WRXrowdy 11 November 2014 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by BoozyDave (Post 11558124)

Meh, what's up with you man, bit of opposite lock will cure that, and I would rather go into the hedge backwards rather than frontwards anyway lol.

Most entertainment I've had is with decent tyres on the front and plastic linglong ditchfinders on the back, or as I like to call it, crude form of dccd for those of us mere mortals that haven't got a widetrack STI.

On a serious note, I would avoid using part worns, you don't know where they have been. It is possible that they have been compromised and have been taken off a vehicle that has already been upside down in a hedge.

Gear Head 11 November 2014 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy (Post 11558288)

Meh, what's up with you man, bit of opposite lock will cure that, and I would rather go into the hedge backwards rather than frontwards anyway lol.

Most entertainment I've had is with decent tyres on the front and plastic linglong ditchfinders on the back, or as I like to call it, crude form of dccd for those of us mere mortals that haven't got a widetrack STI.

On a serious note, I would avoid using part worns, you don't know where they have been. It is possible that they have been compromised and have been taken off a vehicle that has already been upside down in a hedge.

Agreed. Never use part worms, especially on a performance car.

Another vote here for Good Year F1's. Got 4 x 225/45/17's for £270 last year. Deal are out there if you look hard enough.

:thumb:

WRXrowdy 11 November 2014 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Gear Head (Post 11558328)
Agreed. Never use part worms, especially on a performance car.

Another vote here for Good Year F1's. Got 4 x 225/45/17's for £270 last year. Deal are out there if you look hard enough.

:thumb:

Part worms? Jeez, those Chinese really are taking things to the extreme :D

gazzawrx 11 November 2014 01:08 PM

Im currently using 18" eagle f1s on my blob sti and so far theyve held up in any situation and weather, i was using goodyear excellence before these and they were bang on too, i think i only had one scare on them and that was when it pissed down after a dry spell.

Gear Head 11 November 2014 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy (Post 11558338)
Part worms? Jeez, those Chinese really are taking things to the extreme :D

Yeah, these are far worse than part worns! :D

WRXrowdy 11 November 2014 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gear Head (Post 11558460)
Yeah, these are far worse than part worns! :D

Although, I have heard you can chop em in half and grow a spare set :lol1:

Gear Head 11 November 2014 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy (Post 11558476)

Although, I have heard you can chop em in half and grow a spare set :lol1:

You can but they will be like slippery eels!