ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Interior (https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-15/)
-   -   3 gauge dash pod for pre MY99 (https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-15/101406-3-gauge-dash-pod-for-pre-my99.html)

ScoobyDuck 08 May 2002 02:45 PM

Iain,

Excellent! all sounds good! so should/could be a couple of week then ?!?! :D (dont want the DEFI's hanging around with no place to sit for too long! :)

Steve

[Edited by ScoobyDuck - 8/5/2002 2:46:20 PM]

Dyney 01 June 2002 11:02 PM

Have never been able to find a dash pod for the early style dash.
So was thinking of designing one. Possibly having a few made.

They would look somthing simalar to the later dash pods but would fit the shape of the early dash without cutting!!!

Anyone interested? :)
Iain.

ScoobyDuck 03 June 2002 01:59 PM

Iain,

they ideas u came up with yesterday at the southern meet sound good! Would be nice 2 get either a center pod, like the new dash boards, or one that hugs the windscreen from the A-pilar, with enuf room 4 3 guages.
let us know how you get on with ideas & or designs!

other than that - there's always the center vents. if the top pods dont look like there gona work, how about making something to replace them?!?

Steve

Hanslow 03 June 2002 03:51 PM

You mean something along the lines of my DIY setup :D

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steve.hanslow/GaugeFit.jpg

Although that is on a MY00 :rolleyes:

Wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult to come up with something similar for the Pre 98s :)

Dyney 03 June 2002 10:45 PM

S.Duck,
As above its been done:)
Problem with the vent style mod is there's a bar between the vents:(.
The idea of this is that you can remove it without leaving any marks:D

Will have a measure up tomorrow (now I have the car back) and come up with some ideas.
I'll let you know if it's a goer.

Iain.

Hanslow 03 June 2002 11:47 PM

Iain,

There was a vent bar between mine previously. With the aid of a Dremel Multi-tool it was soon removed and smoothed off a bit leaving a very nice wide open gap ;) It's a bit of a no-return mod, but if they were ever to be removed, I would just get another centre vent thing from a breakers.

Good luck with your version :D

Steve

Markus 05 June 2002 10:25 AM

Iain,
The ideas you came up with were great, I'm, rather interested in it, so keep me posted if anything comes up.

BoxerFlat4 05 June 2002 11:27 AM

Iain,

Interested as well, keep me informed ! :D

Gecko Motorsport
www.TheGecko.biz

Dyney 07 June 2002 10:11 AM

BTTT

Still working on it!!:)

barge 13 June 2002 12:38 AM

yep I'm up for some of that, I would prefere the top of the dash unit rather than the vents or a pillar stuff

scooby_si 13 June 2002 08:23 PM

I'd luv a top centre dash pod typa thing but i was under impression it needs the space from the newer thingy so woodn't it b larger for the pre99 ers?
Defo intreged 2 c wot u can kum up with thou:D
Si

ZAZ 14 June 2002 02:31 PM

I'd be interested to see what you come up with, keep us informed.

Dyney 17 June 2002 01:32 PM

Still working on it;)
Bttt

ScoobyDuck 18 June 2002 07:42 PM

Iain,

what u managed to sort out / come up with so far ?
keep us updated with any tit-bits!!

cheers
Steve

[Edited by ScoobyDuck - 6/18/2002 7:54:17 PM]

TopCat 21 June 2002 10:28 AM

hello Dyney,

go for the a piller quad style;-)

Moe

Dyney 26 June 2002 04:16 PM

Sorry mate don't like A pillar pods. Want a centre dash pod.

Here are a few pics of the prototype. It is still rough but will give you an idea of the size and positioning:D:D

This ones mocked up for 60mm gauges but 52mm's will fit. You might beable to see the pencil line(52mm Dia.)on the mock faces!!!

http://upload.turbosport.co.uk/getpi...5564221843.jpg
http://upload.turbosport.co.uk/getpi...5565340583.jpg
http://upload.turbosport.co.uk/getpi...5565307271.jpg

May make the peak a bit larger!

Comments please?

Hoping to see a guy about making them early next week:)

Iain.

scooby_si 26 June 2002 07:47 PM

So dyney any news on the technical side of having 2 hack big holes in the dash then? Tempted, if a little skint (damn group buys;)) for sum more dials. Just a little concerned about the requirements of getting wires etc in there but otherwise tempted still:D
Si

Disco 26 June 2002 08:59 PM

After assisting Iain in the high tech ;) design process I can confirm that the wires slot straight thru the vent at the back of the dash, and there is no need for any drilling or cutting of the dash to accomadate either them or the pod itself.

ScoobyDuck 26 June 2002 09:30 PM

Looks quite cool Iain !

though you might have brought it a bit further forward... but will have to see it in the flesh to be honest!

good job the both of you .. hope it comes out well if/when the guy can make it! I take it it's gona be vac-formed or something!?!
either that, or we could try grp-ing it !?!?!

let 'us know!

Steve

Dyney 26 June 2002 09:57 PM

We wanted the pod in your feild of vision. If we brought it futher forward (the original design) you would have to look over to it and take your eyes off the road!!

Also the larger the pod the more unsightly (IMHO:))

You need to sit in the drivers seat!!
Will hopefully have the mock up at Hickstead on the 7th:D

Iain.

ScoobyDuck 26 June 2002 10:03 PM

Excelent work! :)

yes, take your points exactly .. smaller is better & right back there 'would' be better to glance at rarther than LOOK at!

hope you can get something to show by Hickstead .. have mailed you about that not 2 mins ago !!

Steve

Andy Tang 30 June 2002 01:15 AM

Good work Ian, looks like a top notch idea. I think you have it right with it being recessed. :)

I'm sure Gary's input will help! :)

Good luck
Andy

ScoobyDuck 04 July 2002 01:52 PM

Iain,

any news on if you'll have the prototype this weekend ?
(if I can get up that early :o will probably meet you there rarther than at PP)

Steve

barge 08 July 2002 05:40 PM

Any news on this ?

Dyney 09 July 2002 11:51 PM

Looks like we may have found a manufacturer, just need to make up a pattern and we should have our first full prototype:D:D

Bear with us, we want to get this just right. Finish is very important if your going to stick it in the middle of your dash:)
It's not as easy as you might think!!

Iain.

barge 13 July 2002 04:13 PM

cheers for the update.

I want one, so pleasae let me know when they are avaliable

dnb 13 July 2002 08:07 PM

I'm interested as well.

ScoobyDuck 05 August 2002 11:09 AM

Iain,

missed the meet this weekend, but was just wondering if u'd managed to get anywhere with the wood-work for the pod?

cheers
Steve

Dyney 05 August 2002 12:33 PM

Yes,we got somewhere (not sure where though!!:D)
It is coming on slowly. Need to put finishing touches to the pattern then it's off to talk to the manufacturer again:)

Iain.

naughty 05 August 2002 05:00 PM

very interested in the centre pod as i have 95 wrx and have to wait ages for 52mm an idea for the cableing, could it not come up through the windscreen vent and in to the back of the pod thus avoiding unsightly wires when youre in car, could also design pod so it is vented on back and lips onto windscreen vents thus air flows up through back of pod vents and no wires will be seen,not trying to teach you to suck eggs or anything just my imagination running away

let me know how you go on

morgan