ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Moving to UK: need advice please (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1014019-moving-to-uk-need-advice-please.html)

53ANF 24 October 2014 03:35 AM

Moving to UK: need advice please

Hi :)
I'm about to move from Australia to the UK (taking up work in Stanford-Le-Hope) and I'm trying to get an understanding about licensing, registration/MOT/tax discs, but the gov.uk site isn't all that helpful :confused:

Could anyone please help me out with where to look for some more information about it all?

Also, I'm looking at getting a GR STi Hatch: Hurst has a JDM one I like (I have the same EJ207 with VF49 in my Legacy here in Aus and it is just amazing), but I've also noticed a few forged/built 2.5s :D (If I was to get a 2.5L it'd end up getting forged pistons not too soon after I bought it anyway ;) )

Is there anything other than the usual Subaru traits I should look out for when inspecting a vehicle?

Thanks for any help you can give
Sean...

ditchmyster 24 October 2014 06:35 AM

if your buying one from hurst cars, get Max to put a years mot and tax on it for you then you'll have time to work it out over the next year. It's actually quite simple. Tax can be done on line via the DVLA and mot is just a case of going down to the local garage that has an mot station attached.

Insurance will be the bitterest pill to swallow as you have no UK driving record so be prepared to get ass raped, I would speak to Moley WRX on here as he works for Keith Micheals Insurance and is very popular with members on here.

53ANF 24 October 2014 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11546195)
if your buying one from hurst cars, get Max to put a years mot and tax on it for you then you'll have time to work it out over the next year. It's actually quite simple. Tax can be done on line via the DVLA and mot is just a case of going down to the local garage that has an mot station attached.

Insurance will be the bitterest pill to swallow as you have no UK driving record so be prepared to get ass raped, I would speak to Moley WRX on here as he works for Keith Micheals Insurance and is very popular with members on here.

Sweet! Thanks Ditch :)

the shreksta 24 October 2014 09:19 AM

My advice on moving to the UK is simple........................DONT ****ING BOTHER

53ANF 24 October 2014 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 11546262)
My advice on moving to the UK is simple........................DONT ****ING BOTHER

I can't get out of it; need a job. None for me here in Aus. (well I haven't been offered one in the 8 months I've been looking)

Besides, except fuel, everything else seems to be cheaper in the UK!

taylor85 24 October 2014 09:32 AM

yeah its a bit cheaper than oz here, not a great deal but you notice it on stuff like fridge freezers and washing machines!

Hurst cars are a good to deal with, I looked at a car there wasnt for me but went back with a mate and he purchased it!

edsel 24 October 2014 02:14 PM

As a resident of Stanford-no-hope the best advice I can offer is dont. Seriously its not that bad, crime rate isnt too bad and the locals are nearly civilised,but compared to oz.... If you'd like another pair of eyes looking at cars or just want to chat Subaru drop me a pm.
I assume youre working at the new port?

Steve

Norman Dog 24 October 2014 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 11546262)

You beat me to saying that...

alcazar 24 October 2014 07:20 PM

Advice to an Australian moving to the UK?

If you don't have to...don't do it.

donny andi 24 October 2014 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by 53ANF (Post 11546266)
I can't get out of it; need a job. None for me here in Aus. (well I haven't been offered one in the 8 months I've been looking)

Besides, except fuel, everything else seems to be cheaper in the UK!

I'll swop.....I'll even chuck the missis in she's still fit but I'll rough it with some Aussie birds :D
Just don't tell the csa :thumb:

Rick2014 24 October 2014 07:54 PM

I wouldn't bother coming to the UK stay where you are :thumb:

mickywrx 24 October 2014 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11546195)
get Max to put a years mot and tax on it for you

Good luck with Max taxing it. New owner has to tax the car, or is it different if bought from a trader?

BBB3 24 October 2014 08:41 PM

I honestly wouldn't bother, this country is terrible and is going down.

53ANF 24 October 2014 10:59 PM

:confused:
Seems I opened a can of worms :(

I have to move now, I've accepted a job and bought my airfare already.

Can't be that bad, can it?...besides, I actually prefer cold weather over the ridiculous heat that Australia gets (I know, it's crazy but I'm seeing someone about it haha

53 24 October 2014 11:01 PM

Stanford No Hope FTW :D

Not far from me :D Welcome in advance :)

Pross 25 October 2014 12:38 AM

Took my brother about 5 years and a small fortune to get a visa to get away from this hole and move to oz to marry his gf.
I hope you have thought this through.

SEDITION 25 October 2014 07:29 AM

Good luck with it all Sean. I hope it works out for you.
Don't stop posting on Ozfoz though; your help and guidance have been very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Scott (TGM2)

ditchmyster 25 October 2014 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by mickywrx (Post 11546705)
Good luck with Max taxing it. New owner has to tax the car, or is it different if bought from a trader?

Actually you could be right, forgot about the change in the system, but surly they would have taken into consideration buying cars from traders, otherwise how are folks supposed to go about buying new cars, having to wait a couple of weeks until the DVLA put the car in your name is going to be a PITA, I foresee a load of new scams where people take your money for a car and suddenly go missing. :(

JGlanzaV 25 October 2014 08:43 AM

I wouldn't bargain on driving anything better than a ford fiesta for a few years yet once you get here!

You are starting all over again and no one will touch you on an impreza for what is effectively your "first" car!