ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Which is your choice of "Supermarket" (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1014016-which-is-your-choice-of-supermarket.html)

jods 23 October 2014 11:15 PM

Which is your choice of "Supermarket"

The clue is in the title
I suspect that I can predict the result

jods 23 October 2014 11:20 PM

Changed poll to allow multiple choice

jods 23 October 2014 11:20 PM

Which "Are"

dpb 23 October 2014 11:34 PM

Morrisons, only a bike ride away.
( have to dodge the pensioners though)
Sainsbury and Lidl, only a car ride away.

Lucky really.

chocolate_o_brian 23 October 2014 11:43 PM

Aldi for fresh/fridge stuff, Farmfoods for freezer and cupboard stuff. Butchers for meat.

zip106 23 October 2014 11:44 PM

Sainsburys - only a click away.
Haven't set foot in one for about 3 years, all gets delivered to my door :)

Turbohot 23 October 2014 11:58 PM

Well, the title reads: Which is your most used supermarket, right? So mine is Tesco in the neighbouring town about a couple of miles from our village. I see that as the most used one by all n' sundry.

For me, I now use Aldi more than Tesco, although I still shop in Tesco as well.

In that town, which is the closest to us, we have Tesco, Aldi, LIDL, Co-op, Iceland and Farmfoods. This is an overload for such a small town. We don't have M&S etc. there. All pensioners go sixteen miles away to Wrexham M&S in their little, shiny cars for their love for it. This town I'm talking about is even going to have another one i.e. Sainsbury's pretty soon. Honestly, there's no need whatsoever for that. All these supermarkets are only within 3/4 mile range. I really don't know why Sainsbury's are bothering.

Lisawrx 24 October 2014 12:08 AM

Our choice is Tesco, based mainly due to location. The store is a couple of minutes away from where I work, so we just pop in one night, get our stuff and go home. We don't have to go out of our way at all. Prior to that store being expanded, we used to go to Asda. We are quite lucky choice wise, as we have a lot of those listed stores quite close to where we live or work, Tesco only win as it's the closest. With the exception of Aldi, but I couldn't do a weekly shop there (we do pop in for some stuff).

With the exception of Waitrose, M&S and Harrods, the rest aren't a million miles apart in terms of price, hence location being the deciding factor. Well, that, and I like getting my points.

jods 24 October 2014 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lisawrx (Post 11546153)
Our choice is Tesco, based mainly due to location. The store is a couple of minutes away from where I work, so we just pop in one night, get our stuff and go home. We don't have to go out of our way at all. Prior to that store being expanded, we used to go to Asda. We are quite lucky choice wise, as we have a lot of those listed stores quite close to where we live or work, Tesco only win as it's the closest. With the exception of Aldi, but I couldn't do a weekly shop there (we do pop in for some stuff).

With the exception of Waitrose, M&S and Harrods, the rest aren't a million miles apart in terms of price, hence location being the deciding factor. Well, that, and I like getting my points.

Hi Lisa. Our local TESCO in Hatfield is an enormous behemoth. Gawdy displays, full of discount posters and thieving Gypo's. I took my wallet away from the mayhem and drove to Waitrose in Welwyn Garden City. Now THAT'S more my kind of place. The floorstaff have teeth, they speak English as a 1st language and the (Sexist, I know) girls on the checkouts are invariably beautiful and well educated pre-university or post-university management ladder.

I know I'm a dinosaur in these things but is it too much to ask to have a pleasant experience when shopping and not have to fear yourself up about getting mugged or mugged off at Tescos?

Lisawrx 24 October 2014 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by jods (Post 11546161)
I know I'm a dinosaur in these things but is it too much to ask to have a pleasant experience when shopping and not have to fear yourself up about getting mugged or mugged off at Tescos?

I don't want to tempt fate here, but I've managed to shop all my years without that problem in the common people's shops. :thumb: But hey, if you are happy to pay more for a better experience, that is totally your choice. Not sure you're still not getting mugged, just not in the same way you were talking about. ;)

I work in a shop, and put up with all sorts there, so another half an hour or so of similar experience is neither here nor there for me.

I hate shopping, so it's just simply a means to an end. Whether I was mixing with the Waitrose crowd, or the more common folk of other stores, it will never be a pleasant experience to me. I just want to be in, get my stuff and go home in as little time as needed, so for me, I'll stick with saving myself money on the bill at the end of it all. :thumb:

the shreksta 24 October 2014 03:13 AM

Asda for me - not on the list though

ossett2k2 24 October 2014 04:04 AM

Morrisons and aldi
But now morrisons are doing a price match to aldi and lidl we have gone back to using them more as we have 2 within farting distance.
Ps can't believe asda isn't on the list :shock:

donny andi 24 October 2014 05:54 AM

Not been for 10 years since her indoors passed her test :)

Morrisons if she's around home
Asda if she's at her mums
I personally hate the fecking places

nik52wrx 24 October 2014 07:19 AM

Like your good self we've not done a food shop by stepping into a supermarket since online ordering and delivery was introduced.
In doing so the wife checks week by week and orders from whoever is cheapest, this week it happened to be Asda.

Nik.

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 11546143)
Sainsburys - only a click away.
Haven't set foot in one for about 3 years, all gets delivered to my door :)

pimmo2000 24 October 2014 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by jods (Post 11546161)
Hi Lisa. Our local TESCO in Hatfield is an enormous behemoth. Gawdy displays, full of discount posters and thieving Gypo's. I took my wallet away from the mayhem and drove to Waitrose in Welwyn Garden City. Now THAT'S more my kind of place. The floorstaff have teeth, they speak English as a 1st language and the (Sexist, I know) girls on the checkouts are invariably beautiful and well educated pre-university or post-university management ladder.

http://empowermoments.files.wordpres...high-horse.jpg

dpb 24 October 2014 08:23 AM

Used to go Asda, again only cos it was nearest, but been there again since and its turned chav paradise, Worse than tossco.! Pile em high sell em cheap.

They better watch out with that business model!...

jods 24 October 2014 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 11546219)

:lol:

*matthewturb2000* 24 October 2014 11:41 AM

Waitrose in my area is shocking, how rude and arrogant the people who shop there are and the question at the tills are ridiculously slow as the people on the check out want to sit there talking crap and scanning things slow, I have a waitrose 3 mins from my house but drive across town to go tesco or slightly further about 10 mile to morisons to do the 'big' shop as there seems to be better deals there

PaulC72 24 October 2014 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 11546185)
Asda for me - not on the list though

same here.

pimmo2000 24 October 2014 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by *matthewturb2000* (Post 11546356)
Waitrose in my area is shocking, how rude and arrogant the people who shop there are and the question at the tills are ridiculously slow as the people on the check out want to sit there talking crap and scanning things slow, I have a waitrose 3 mins from my house but drive across town to go tesco or slightly further about 10 mile to morisons to do the 'big' shop as there seems to be better deals there

get stabbed much?

No?

Me neither

dpb 24 October 2014 04:34 PM

Clearly Tossco , has,been the most used

All about bombarding people with convenience, number of stores,

Thank goodness ze Germans have put up a fight

DARB 24 October 2014 05:46 PM

Our Tesco is less than 5 minutes away so we tend to use that, I don't know if the others do "scan and shop" but it's great, it was very useful last Christmas the queues were unbelievable but only two of use using scan n shop. I suspect it'll be a bit different this year

hodgy0_2 24 October 2014 05:58 PM

My wife says we save over £200 a month shopping at Morrisons as opposed to getting Tesco's delivered

Jamie 24 October 2014 05:58 PM

Spoilt for choice where i now live as we have them all within 5 minutes driving.

thenewgalaxy 24 October 2014 08:32 PM

Missus does the weekly shop at ASDA.

I tend to get favoured ingredients from Booths (Waitrose) or M&S.

*matthewturb2000* 24 October 2014 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 11546518)
get stabbed much?

No?

Me neither

Yea in my leg once with a screw driver many years ago, not in a supermarket though

Adrian F 25 October 2014 11:56 PM

Lidl for most of the shopping and a weekly visit to local Tesco or sainsburys for the bits i can't get at Lidls.

Save a fortune at Lidl's and i have had no wage rise for 4 years so need to shop at cheapest place.

jaygsi 26 October 2014 12:09 AM

Sainsburys is nice place to be, and due to not being the cheapest i don't have to shop with the creatures from middle earth

Although i like Asda prices, don't see the point of Aldi or Lidl as i always find you need to go other shops after at most of there food i've never heard off

Osimabu 26 October 2014 08:49 AM

For years we've used Aldi for everything and only go to the others if there's something they don't stock. You might not have heard of Aldi's brands, but there days it's very rare that they're not every bit as good as the ones you're used to. Their ready to drink chilled 'Tizio' coffees are a prime example, at 1/4 the price of the Starbucks equivalent.

We have a Co-op in our village and go there for odds and ends, but wouldn't use them for a bigger shop as they're mostly too dear.

dpb 26 October 2014 12:40 PM

Well iv been going Lidl some time, on an irregular basis to get pitta bread at 35p a pack

Now they've got new supplier and its 49p a pack.!

I feel I'm being taken for granted.

:mad: