ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Neutral switch, problem? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1013861-neutral-switch-problem.html)

boosted 21 October 2014 12:03 PM

Neutral switch, problem?

Hi, as some of you mag be aware I have fitted an audi quattro 6 speed to my 03 wrx, I have the speedo working along with reverse lights. However I currently have the NPS unplugged (well there's not one there).
I haven't worked out yet if this is open circuit is neutral or in gear, I will have to put a meter on the old gearbag for that, I'm assuming that open circuit is "in gear"
Can anyone see a problem with leaving it unplugged? Does it need bridged? How will it affect power etc? Not much info out there on what the NPS actually does. Cheers

subaru8189 21 October 2014 01:08 PM

might be needed on an audi too start the car? so it cant be started in gear

boosted 21 October 2014 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by subaru8189 (Post 11544090)
might be needed on an audi too start the car? so it cant be started in gear

No switch on audi box.
Need to know what the strategy is for the subaru

XDevil666 21 October 2014 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by boosted (Post 11544104)
No switch on audi box.
Need to know what the strategy is for the subaru

I do know the ECU gains readings from the gear selected as when I was getting mine mapped he said he can see gear select etc, unsure how/if it effects though maybe give JGM a shout and ask him how it effects?

ian.e 21 October 2014 07:16 PM

The switch is fully extended when in neutral and squashed up when in gear. Not sure which would be open or closed circuit, but easy enough to check with a multimeter. I'd just sort it so it was "in gear" all the time. :thumb:

Jolly Green Monster 21 October 2014 07:30 PM

The open and closed circuit differs from year to year.

I doubt it would cause an issue to find out which way yours is and ground or open as appropriate permenantly. Only way would be diagnostic equipment and the wire grounded/open etc.

Its used in more detail ln the sti.

Simon

boosted 21 October 2014 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster (Post 11544432)
The open and closed circuit differs from year to year.

I doubt it would cause an issue to find out which way yours is and ground or open as appropriate permenantly. Only way would be diagnostic equipment and the wire grounded/open etc.

Its used in more detail ln the sti.

Simon

Cool, I will check my WRX box with a multimeter to see if it's open or closed circuit in gear and then make sure the car always thinks it's in gear.
Thanks

Jolly Green Monster 22 October 2014 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by boosted (Post 11544523)
Cool, I will check my WRX box with a multimeter to see if it's open or closed circuit in gear and then make sure the car always thinks it's in gear.
Thanks

:thumb: