ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Advice needed on new desktop please (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/1013777-advice-needed-on-new-desktop-please.html)

Bikerboygreen 19 October 2014 07:38 PM

Advice needed on new desktop please

I need to replace a Dell desktop that is older than I care to admit. Thinking of getting another Dell - an Inspiron 3847. The machine will be used for usual home PC duties (not gaming). The PC comes with an intel i5 processor, 8GB of memory, 1TB hard drive and a NVDIA GeForce GT705 video card. Dell are offering it for £399.

Does this sound like a reasonable machine/price?

Any advice appreciated! :thumb:

Littleted 19 October 2014 10:05 PM

Will be fine, however if you want a little more speed see if u can get an SSD drive, the boot times and everything gets very impressive, and personally I think it's one of the better investments when spending a new machine...

Tidgy 19 October 2014 10:35 PM

as above, well worth SSD but other than than for geneal computer use will do you fine, would take windows 7 option if you can though. windows 8 sucks

Animal Mother 19 October 2014 10:44 PM

Try this place. Good machines at low cost:

http://www.europc.co.uk/

JayUK91 19 October 2014 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 11543029)
would take windows 7 option if you can though. windows 8 sucks

Ignore this, Windows 8 is perfectly fine.

But yes, that computer sounds spot on for what you need.

Bikerboygreen 20 October 2014 01:03 PM

Thanks guys. I think I will order the Dell. :thumb:

Tidgy 20 October 2014 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by JayUK91 (Post 11543050)

very much opinion that one, as is me hating it lol

p.s. i can see win 8 support being pulled before 7 the way things are going

JackClark 20 October 2014 01:44 PM

Windows 8 is terrible, but that doesn't mean you should go back to an old version. Once you get over how awful some aspects are, and you will get over it, you will be using a much better operating system.

Tidgy 20 October 2014 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11543294)
Windows 8 is terrible, but that doesn't mean you should go back to an old version. Once you get over how awful some aspects are, and you will get over it, you will be using a much better operating system.

whats the current win 8 uptake over 7? 25% or summit silly low like that?

win8 is gonna be a vista with lots of folks skipping it.

jura11 20 October 2014 04:45 PM

Build own one and take at least MX100 256GB SSD,they're cheap and very reliable
Windows 8,really I wouldn't upgrade,when Windows X is around the corner and 7 is still awesome

Thanks,Jura

Brun 20 October 2014 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by JayUK91 (Post 11543050)

Ignore this too - long live XP :D

andy97 21 October 2014 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Brun (Post 11543781)
Ignore this too - long live XP :D

I run XP still on my second drive. Trusty Tahr is the future :)

Tidgy 21 October 2014 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11543854)
I run XP still on my second drive. Trusty Tahr is the future :)

shame it has no security dev happening any more, gonna be leaking data like the titanic soon

Beef 21 October 2014 11:47 AM

It's a little over-CPU'd in my opinion for a light-duty home PC. I would personally consider dropping down to an i3 (or even Pentium G) if it freed up budget to get an SSD instead.

Bikerboygreen 21 October 2014 03:12 PM

Is the SSD drive something I can install myself?

Beef 21 October 2014 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bikerboygreen (Post 11544184)

Depending on your personal aptitude and familiarity with computers, yes.

The trickiest part of the process would be getting the operating system transferred to the new drive; if the original drive allows you to create recovery DVDs I would create them, use the recovery discs to 'recover' onto the new hard drive, and keep the original drive in a cupboard in case of warranty issues.

Some SSDs come with software to help this process, but nonetheless it would be good practice to create the recovery discs at the first opportunity anyway.

jura11 21 October 2014 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bikerboygreen (Post 11544184)

Yes very easy to do this

On PC is very easy to do this,I would recommend to use Clonezilla,have used this to transfer my HDD to SSD and SSD is working like a charm and without the issue

Please have look on this guide

http://www.howtogeek.com/97242/how-t...d-state-drive/

And for SSD I would go with MX100 SSD or if budget allow SanDisk get my vote

Thanks,Jura

Bikerboygreen 21 October 2014 06:23 PM

That's really helpful - thank you. Definitely going to get a MX 100. :thumb:

XDevil666 21 October 2014 11:00 PM

i still havent jumped on the SSD bang wagon yet, would you guys say its reliable yet to use as a primary drive? or is everyone still just using them as OS Drives?

jura11 21 October 2014 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by XDevil666 (Post 11544678)
i still havent jumped on the SSD bang wagon yet, would you guys say its reliable yet to use as a primary drive? or is everyone still just using them as OS Drives?

Hi there

New SSD are pretty reliable,in last couple of months my two normal HDD failed(not SSD),one new which has been RMA and second has developed high relocation error

I've right now 2 SSD,one is for OS and programs which I'm using and second one is used as for my projects like textures,models etc for 3DS MAX,MAYA,C4D etc.

New SSD are pretty reliable and I would recommend to switch if you didn't switch

Thanks,Jura

Rob_Impreza99 22 October 2014 12:03 PM

An SSD has no moving parts compared to a normal hard drive so their are less things that can go wrong, their won't be mechanical drives eventually, they'll go into the same bin as VHS and Betamax recorders.

Tidgy 22 October 2014 12:10 PM

3 years and faultless so far.

No doubt early ones were a concern, but the more recent ones are fine mate, def worth the upgrade taking into account cost/performance/reliability etc etc

Mines set up to run windows from the ssd then a spinny hard drive for storage/games/movies etc

Littleted 22 October 2014 12:27 PM

i have them in most of my desktops and laptops, faultless, and the best upgrade to speed u can ask for...

Windows 8 is fine, im in agreement howevere that the tile crap is indeed crap, i use 8.1 currently and always religously use this

http://www.classicshell.net/

just makes it like win7, thats whay windos 10 is kinda like windows 7 with some tiles but not from first boot

Bikerboygreen 29 October 2014 10:03 AM

New Dell PC has arrived - very impressed so far. I have now decided that I am going to update the monitor as well. Looking at the ASUS VS239HV 23" Full HD LED IPS Monitor which is £108 at ccl. Again, grateful for any advice?

JayUK91 29 October 2014 11:25 AM

I've always been a fan of the LG IPS screens, got one 23" and two 24" that are excellent value for money. That ASUS looks fine though.

Bikerboygreen 30 October 2014 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by JayUK91 (Post 11549422)
I've always been a fan of the LG IPS screens, got one 23" and two 24" that are excellent value for money. That ASUS looks fine though.

Cheers mate. :thumb:

Bikerboygreen 31 October 2014 11:14 PM

Got the Asus - really impressed.