ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Internet trolls to get 2 years in jail (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1013771-internet-trolls-to-get-2-years-in-jail.html)

daviee 19 October 2014 06:49 PM

Internet trolls to get 2 years in jail

A few should be sweating on here :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29678989

yabbadoo4 19 October 2014 07:13 PM

yep might be of interest to 1 or 2 here :Suspiciou

tony de wonderful 19 October 2014 07:29 PM

Next time Pete posts about his winter fuel allowance I'm calling the old bill.

Maz 19 October 2014 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 11542805)
Next time Pete posts about his winter fuel allowance I'm calling the old bill.

Pete's harmless enough, there's other sh!t stirrers who'll need to think twice before posting ;)

bustaMOVEs 19 October 2014 07:34 PM

Tommy take note

LSherratt 19 October 2014 07:47 PM

I've never quite understood the whole troll thing because everyone knows the phrase "don't feed the troll" but normal everyday people and 'celebrities' for example continue to respond to them which encourages the "trolls" to direct even more abuse.

It's still a good thing that it's being taken seriously though.

yabbadoo4 19 October 2014 07:55 PM

just as well the pics were removed from the post the other day slating another clubs cars. could have been a test case right there lol

RS_Matt 19 October 2014 07:58 PM

Tommy is housed up next to Maudsley in Wakey's finest polycarbonate hotel. Thomas is a surrogate troll created by his wife in a bid to hide the shame.

daviee 19 October 2014 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4 (Post 11542831)
just as well the pics were removed from the post the other day slating another clubs cars. could have been a test case right there lol

I seen the infamous " words fail me " thread, was going to post a comment but it went in to free fall and I thought better. If I was a Judge though the only person getting 2 years would be for defacing not trolling :D

yabbadoo4 19 October 2014 08:15 PM

a real judge would have a different view im guessing.

Dirk Diggler 75 19 October 2014 08:24 PM

The jails will be fit for bursting if this is upheld ..

ALi-B 19 October 2014 08:44 PM

In the case of Madeley, This isn't trolling in my book...its threatening behaviour. Its arrestable if done in a public place, and well, open parts of internet is a public place. SN was well ahead of the curve on this years ago, dishing out instant, permanent bans to the malicious nutters, hence: https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ing-on-sn.html

Non-malicious people who annoy on the other hand, that's a whole different ball game...this is the "true" troll....a person that only exists to get attention by annoying other people and eliciting responses from others to "feed off".

Hence: https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-trolling.html

Its interesting, that people will regular report troll, yet STILL ignore the above policy, and WORSE read and post in threads created by the very people they think they are trolls.

Reality check here: If you don't like someone and find them annoying for whatever reason, would you go round to their house to visit them everyday for no reason just so they can annoy you further? Of course not, so why read and post threads created by people that annoy you? Sorry, but people who do this on this forum may have their complaints fall on deaf ears by undermining themselves in this way. Its a simple rule; don't like it? Then don't read it. We've tried other ways of curtailing things and this is the only one that works without banning everyone because everyone else get annoyed by them :lol1: We just draw the line when it gets personal or their activity regularly takes other people's threads off topic.

And yes mocking people's own cars can include that - if its warranted.. if the owner turns out to be a tasteless gobshyte. I'm sorry, I'm too much of a petrol-head to allow some acts of cruelty to cars from its owner go unpunished. :o :lol1:

shytorque 19 October 2014 09:08 PM

:Suspiciou:Suspiciou:Suspiciou

zip106 19 October 2014 09:52 PM

There'll only be one or two of us left on here soon, then.

thenewgalaxy 19 October 2014 10:17 PM

Chloe Madeley, phwoar I'd love a go on her!

Tidgy 19 October 2014 10:23 PM

i think you'll find the so called 'trolling' that goes on here is more of a wind up, saying yoru gonna rape someones daughter is a tad more serious dont you think?

fat-thomas 19 October 2014 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 11543020)
i think you'll find the so called 'trolling' that goes on here is more of a wind up, saying yoru gonna rape someones daughter is a tad more serious dont you think?

i think everyone knows what the law relates to.
laughing at a crap car or a drunk welshman or matt rs latest trolling attempt is completely different.

Tidgy 19 October 2014 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by fat-thomas (Post 11543023)
laughing at a crap car or a drunk welshman or matt rs latest trolling attempt is completely different.

:lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1:

warrenm2 19 October 2014 10:43 PM

Free speech takes another body blow..

Maz 19 October 2014 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by warrenm2 (Post 11543034)
Free speech takes another body blow..

:cry:

dpb 19 October 2014 10:54 PM

I don't think we've had a proper troll on here, for years and years

RS_Matt 19 October 2014 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by fat-thomas (Post 11543023)

Leaking diff or the 4 bolt enigma?

shytorque 20 October 2014 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11543042)
I don't think we've had a proper troll on here, for years and years

Plenty have threatened to "nail" PSL....:lol1:

ditchmyster 20 October 2014 07:09 AM

Good thing she wasn't on here in fight club a few years ago.:lol1:

Looks like people will be going to jail for calling someone an idiot or retarded, worst thing about this is it won't include Scotland, so we will still have to read the tripe posted by the resident jockeys without redress. :lol1:

JackClark 20 October 2014 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11542912)
Reality check here: If you don't like someone and find them annoying for whatever reason, would you go round to their house to visit them everyday for no reason just so they can annoy you further? Of course not, so why read and post threads created by people that annoy you? Sorry, but people who do this on this forum may have their complaints fall on deaf ears by undermining themselves in this way. Its a simple rule; don't like it? Then don't read it. We've tried other ways of curtailing things and this is the only one that works without banning everyone because everyone else get annoyed by them :lol1: We just draw the line when it gets personal or their activity regularly takes other people's threads off topic.

Perfectly put. Severe case going on in Computer Related right now, I don't mind my threads being ruined by idiots, it's when they blame me for them posting it's slightly confusing.

mrtheedge2u2 20 October 2014 12:17 PM

Pot.........kettle...........:lol1:

dpb 20 October 2014 12:20 PM

You tread a fine line between trolling and unendorsed advertising as well you know Jack

New_scooby_04 22 October 2014 01:25 PM

In my experience the first argument the trolls always come out with is the freedom of speech line, and it's complete bollox and reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of the term and of the concept in general.

What such individuals are arguing for is not free speech but "freedom to act like a c*nt with impunity via anonymity" which is amply catered for on-line in a way that isn't possible in the real world.

There is no absolute freedom of speech - there are no absolute freedoms PERIOD! Any freedom comes with rights and responsibilities that are defined either explicitly by legislation or implicitly via social conventions. People are accountable for what they say in person and there are consequences for not moderating one's speech appropriately.

If you threaten or are abusive to people in person, you risk being held to account by the law. If your behaviour is odious, but not legally actionable then you risk being ostracised by a particular group. The same does -and should- apply on line.

Of course you can ignore the above and say what you like regardless, but don't then view any sanctions that are taken against you as an infringement of your freedom of speech. You have exercised your freedom, you have been held accountable for that freedom and the use of that freedom has had consequences that you'll have to deal with ..... just as any other behaviour would.

Frankly, anyone who thinks that rebutting someone's views on a incident of rape by threatening to rape them is a idiot of the highest order and those who would wish to defend them by invoking freedom of speech aren't far behind!

And yes, I'm happy to stand by that example of exercising my freedom of speech and accept being ostracised by anyone who doesn't like it ;) :D

Ns04