ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Blobeye WRX & STi differences in experience and drive (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1013706-blobeye-wrx-and-sti-differences-in-experience-and-drive.html)

Animal Mother 18 October 2014 01:12 PM

Blobeye WRX & STi differences in experience and drive

Hi everyone.

I'm struggling to find an STi for my wife to test drive, however, it's easier to find a WRX. So, my question is, are the driving experiences very different between the two? It's likely we'll buy an STi, but, can't find one locally to test drive.

Are the both as driveable at low speeds (e.g. is the STi very "cammy" at low revs)?

Are the clutch weights any different?

Are the steering weights any different?

On boost, does the STi become an uncontrollable monster (PPP version included)?

Any other massive differences to the way they drive?

*matthewturb2000* 18 October 2014 01:15 PM

Just go to a subaru dealer and get a test drive,

daz1968 18 October 2014 01:16 PM

Main thing you will notice is the hardness of ride as sti suspension is much stiffer,

Animal Mother 18 October 2014 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by *matthewturb2000* (Post 11541793)
Just go to a subaru dealer and get a test drive,

There isn't one within 70 miles of me with a car I can test.

Animal Mother 18 October 2014 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by daz1968 (Post 11541794)
Main thing you will notice is the hardness of ride as sti suspension is much stiffer,

Still a controlled ride though is it?

Does it bang into and over every little hole and bump.

*matthewturb2000* 18 October 2014 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Animal Mother (Post 11541800)
There isn't one within 70 miles of me with a car I can test.

If you want one that bad drive the 70 mile, I drove 240 mile each way to pick my last car up

fat-thomas 18 October 2014 02:15 PM

there are differences but its different to each owner.
only advice is to try one.
the wrx is a more comfortable road car the sti is a far better performance car.

WRXrowdy 18 October 2014 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by fat-thomas (Post 11541816)
there are differences but its different to each owner.
only advice is to try one.

F kin hell are you feeling alright Thomas?

fat-thomas 18 October 2014 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy (Post 11541818)
F kin hell are you feeling alright Thomas?

its true, most wrx owners buy the car because they simply cant afford the sti or dont know the differerence.

most have never had one of each at the same time to compare back to back.
i have as my mrs had a wrx for a few years alongside my sti.

the sti is streets ahead as a performance car, the wrx a more comfortable drive but i still wouldnt want one.

wrx owners will come up with all sorts of weird and wonderful reasons the wrx is better and then procede to plonk the big spoiler on the rear to try to convince themselves the cars an sti ;)

WRXrowdy 18 October 2014 03:46 PM

Haha, yeh I don't doubt it, I would feel short changed if the STI wasnt a better performance car.
I just meant I expected a comment from you to be more along the lines of an STI is a proper car, a WRX is for people to go to halfords and adorn with cheap tat, and was surprised with your somewhat muted post ;)

For the record, ours is a daily driver that my wife uses to commute, and I use any other time. We wanted a small spoiler, a comfortable ride,and didn't want gold wheels, or to attract attention. Neither the wife or I have driven an STI, but feel that we really need to, to see what all the fuss is about.

fat-thomas 18 October 2014 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy (Post 11541854)
Haha, yeh I don't doubt it, I would feel short changed if the STI wasnt a better performance car.
I just meant I expected a comment from you to be more along the lines of an STI is a proper car, a WRX is for people to go to halfords and adorn with cheap tat, and was surprised with your somewhat muted post ;)

For the record, ours is a daily driver that my wife uses to commute, and I use any other time. We wanted a small spoiler, a comfortable ride,and didn't want gold wheels, or to attract attention. Neither the wife or I have driven an STI, but feel that we really need to, to see what all the fuss is about.

only advice is drive both as your asking question to people that have one or the other and their opinion will be blinkered as to which model they own.

Carnut 18 October 2014 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Animal Mother (Post 11541792)
Hi everyone.

I'm struggling to find an STi for my wife to test drive, however, it's easier to find a WRX. So, my question is, are the driving experiences very different between the two? It's likely we'll buy an STi, but, can't find one locally to test drive.

Are the both as driveable at low speeds (e.g. is the STi very "cammy" at low revs)?

Are the clutch weights any different?

Are the steering weights any different?

On boost, does the STi become an uncontrollable monster (PPP version included)?

Any other massive differences to the way they drive?

I would hazard a guess that if you enjoy driving a blob wrx you will most likely enjoy driving any Subaru to a more or a lesser extent.

I don't think Sti's are too firm, even a classic isn't too bad for me, you may find the hard ride uncomfortable on a long journey but it's down to personal preference.

If you have a opportunity to drive a wrx to give you a idea of what a sti maybe like and then decide to drive some distance to look at a sti I doubt you'll be disappointed.

WRXrowdy 18 October 2014 04:06 PM

To be fair I think if anyone posts "oh you should get an STI (or WRX) mate" they're missing the point of the op's question.
I can't comment, as I've said I've not driven an STI, but I am intrigued to know just how different they are in feel and performance, but like you say it's probably best to just go test drive both.

fat-thomas 18 October 2014 04:07 PM

on another point if your after a comfortable everyday car that doesnt stand out, an impreza is not a good choice at all

WRXrowdy 18 October 2014 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by fat-thomas (Post 11541870)
on another point if your after a comfortable everyday car that doesnt stand out, an impreza is not a good choice at all

If that's aimed at me, I'm not the author of the original post. Have had an impreza for the last seven years!
And I'm as happy driving it long distance as I am my Volvo so comfortable enough.

Carnut 18 October 2014 04:17 PM

You could go for something like this http://torque-gt.co.uk/car/subaru-legacy-gtb/ not saying this exact one but just a example although still not the most comfortable.

p.s good trader as well.

MATT93 18 October 2014 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy (Post 11541869)
To be fair I think if anyone posts "oh you should get an STI (or WRX) mate" they're missing the point of the op's question.
I can't comment, as I've said I've not driven an STI, but I am intrigued to know just how different they are in feel and performance, but like you say it's probably best to just go test drive both.

If you were local to me I would take you a run in mine.
Maybe easier seeing if someone on here will take you for a run.

Norman Dog 18 October 2014 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by fat-thomas (Post 11541816)

Have to agree with the corpulent one there. :)

And yes, I've owned both.

53 18 October 2014 05:55 PM

This :)

If you want a Subaru buy an STi.... otherwise what is the point... my vRS is better than my old WRX on the road... :)

WRXrowdy 18 October 2014 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by 53 (Post 11541921)

If you want a Subaru buy an STi.... otherwise what is the point... my vRS is better than my old WRX on the road... :)

Rubbish, I would happily drive a couple of hundred miles non stop in the impreza, I read a survey that ranked the seats in my volvo in the top five most comfortable seats you can get, and I would have to stop half way cos I get a numb arse.

My brother has a vrs, my lowly WRX would destroy it and he knows it.

Animal Mother 18 October 2014 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Norman Dog (Post 11541917)
Have to agree with the corpulent one there. :)

And yes, I've owned both.

So, is there much difference in how driveable they are? Based on the categories in my original post.

Animal Mother 18 October 2014 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by *matthewturb2000* (Post 11541803)
If you want one that bad drive the 70 mile, I drove 240 mile each way to pick my last car up

Yes, but that was to but one. I'd be happy to do it, I'm trying to avoid driving a 140+ mile round trip only to see is she can pull off, change gear and stop the car.

Once we know that she can drive an STi, then we'll drive X miles to collect the right one.

Animal Mother 18 October 2014 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy (Post 11541869)

You've got it. :thumb:

south_scoob 18 October 2014 07:36 PM

a wrx blobeye rides VERY nicely you feel elevations and dips in the road but it never feels crashy even the biggest pothole. the person saying people only buy a wrx because they cant aford an STI is rubbish.
The reason i diddnt buy a STI is for that price (double a wrx) is id be looking at somthing elce if i was spending that much.
theres nothing wrong with getting a wrx for the impreza experience on the cheap

fat-thomas 18 October 2014 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by south_scoob (Post 11542003)
a wrx blobeye rides VERY nicely you feel elevations and dips in the road but it never feels crashy even the biggest pothole. the person saying people only buy a wrx because they cant aford an STI is rubbish.
The reason i diddnt buy a STI is for that price (double a wrx) is id be looking at somthing elce if i was spending that much.
theres nothing wrong with getting a wrx for the impreza experience on the cheap

how do you know an sti feels crashy??
sadly the reason most people do buy a wrx is they cant afford am sti, backed up by them sticking all sti bits too it and trying to up the power on them.
i only believe someone actually wanted a wrx over an sti if its left stock.

Norman Dog 18 October 2014 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Animal Mother (Post 11541931)
So, is there much difference in how driveable they are? Based on the categories in my original post.

The STi has much harder suspension but handles better, Brembo brakes are in a different league to the Subaru 4 pots on the WRX.

The clutch and steering I would say are about the same as the WRX, even on a WRX the clutch does have a bit of an agricultural feel to it.

The six speed on the STi is much better through the gears as well.
Both are terrible on fuel, the STi slightly more so.

If just looking for a moderately fast saloon that handles well and doesn't break your spine every time you go over a bump on our lousy UK roads, get the WRX. :)
If you're after something a bit more hardcore get the STi. :)

GH80 18 October 2014 07:44 PM

I have a 2005 sti, the wife hates it and to be honest I don't like taking it to work or doing other mundane stuff in it. The ride is firm but the biggest problem is the direct feeling from the gearbox / clutch. You can't just jump in and drive these things like a mundane euro box, I find them difficult to live with in traffic at low speeds. It's also slower off the line than my diesel Vectra for busy roundabouts, unless you really give them a load of revs with that horrible clutch smell ;)

It's all worth it when you give them a good thrashing though! Would never buy one for my wife as a daily.

south_scoob 18 October 2014 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by 53 (Post 11541921)

in what way? a blob wrx will destroy a vrs build quality yes. but its a overpriced skoda and it looks like a badged up minicab

fat-thomas 18 October 2014 07:44 PM

unless of course most wrx owners actually wanted to spend thousands on sti parts to fit to a wrx so it looks like an sti but without any of the performance as this is what most of them do.

fat-thomas 18 October 2014 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Xline (Post 11542018)
Nah. A WRX with PPP is quicker 0-60. That's all that matters ;)

too wrx owners probably,shame it cant stop or go around corners very well though:lol1: