ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   New York for chrimbo (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1013386-new-york-for-chrimbo.html)

stevebt 12 October 2014 05:34 PM

New York for chrimbo

Has anyone been to New York over the xmas period? I have just booked the Royalton hotel for my xmas hols and was wondering what New York was like over the xmas hols. I have seen its Miami prices but that's ok I'm just wondering how safe it is and is over a week too long for this place?

davyboy 12 October 2014 05:42 PM

It's safe.

It might be cold.

Plenty to fill more than a week, although I'm not sure I'd want to spend that long there.

stevebt 12 October 2014 06:04 PM

I have been to Boston for xmas before and that was cold so I'm expecting New York to be the same, I just hope it doesn't snow too much :)

tony de wonderful 12 October 2014 06:08 PM

Sounds great, I love New York.

hodgy0_2 12 October 2014 06:56 PM

Yes, and it was absolutely fantastic

Stayed in a friends loft apartment in the meat district - which is uber trendy now,

It was like being in the film trading places - was a very very cold one too, snow everywhere

Went for a lovely walk along the river, down to Wall Street and the twin towers on Xmas morning, lovely and empty too

stevebt 12 October 2014 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11536419)

Went for a lovely walk along the river, down to Wall Street and the twin towers on Xmas morning, lovely and empty too

Sounds like a good plan as I think most places are closed on xmas day?

I looked at other areas but for an easy holiday I had to book Times Square :D

powerwrx 12 October 2014 08:22 PM

I went early December..only 3 nights its amazing there, theres that much to see and do I doubt youll have enough time unless your there for a few weeks.. very cold, snowing actually. Times square is awesome but at Christmas its even better

billythekid 12 October 2014 08:35 PM

I have been at that time of year. Not a lot happens on xmas day, but its pretty busy before and after. On the run up to NYE it gets busier still.

Its a good time to go - a lot of things to see and do that are only on at that time of year.

Yes beware of the cold - it gets seriously cold in fact - and there can be snow. We flew on to another part of the US on the 28th and the snow was causing a lot of delays with flights. We were lucky because our connecting flight later that day from Cleveland was the last to leave for over 24hrs. The wing tips of the 757 we were on were almost touching the snow banks on the taxi ways - never seen anything like it.

Most of the attractions were fairly quiet from 23rd onwards.
Xmas day very quiet - write it off tbh unless you can find something on.

stevebt 12 October 2014 08:47 PM

I'm not there for New years eve as my daughter is only 16 so I can't be bothered for the issues involved in trying to find a good night out for my family. Xmas day I was probably planning on heading to the Chinese area so I can get a nice meal.

I expect most of my cash to get wasted in the sales after the 26th as that's what my missus and my daughter are looking forward to :)

daveyj 12 October 2014 10:14 PM

I found it irritatingly busy during the Xmas period. Went two years prior in November which was far more relaxing. Great city but expect a Tsunami of people walking towards you (Matrix Style) on every major throughfare.

If you brave Times Square for NYE be advised to get there very, very early and hold your spot all day and night. In 2006 we got there at 3pm and couldn't leave to use the loo without losing our spot. It might have been the Cops not liking the accent. They had guns. I obliged. It hurt.

True story.

Great City. Genuinely. Just another level busy compared to London and other European cities.

daveyj 12 October 2014 10:15 PM

Edit saw NYE comment later. Ignore.......

:)

daveyj 12 October 2014 10:16 PM

Chinatown is quite grotty btw. Expect to see rats and a lot of knock off DVD sellers. Little Italy is nearby and lovely food there. Not that I don't like Chinese btw.