ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Administrators - Help Please (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/101325-administrators-help-please.html)

wacky.banana 01 June 2002 12:44 PM

Just joined this board and I use others just like it with the same format.

I can't seem to reply to threads as I don't have a reply icon of any sort showing on my screen.

Any idea what the problem is please? Proving a little frustrating as I can't add my penny's worth to some good points here.

Thanks (& thanks to all who have responded to my threads so far).

WB

chrisp 01 June 2002 12:50 PM

Seen this before it something to do with you browser settings but I cant remember the option you need to enable.

chrisp 01 June 2002 12:53 PM

you can cheat however and change the "thread.asp" in the address window to "reply.asp" and that should do it.

ie

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?ThreadID=101325

change to

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/reply.asp?ThreadID=101325

for example until someone remeber the setting.

cheers

chrisp

wacky.banana 01 June 2002 01:01 PM

Chris,

Just testing your quick fix to see if I can get round this problem. Thanks if it works.

WB

wacky.banana 01 June 2002 01:16 PM

If the administrators know what the browser settings should be I would be grateful if they could tell me. Meanwhile I'm using the temp fix offered.

Thanks

WB

BOB.T 01 June 2002 10:55 PM

btt;)

ScoobydoobyDave 01 June 2002 10:58 PM

Think it was an Ad-Aware type program blocking it before?! (I.e to stop the banner ads apearing up the top of the page and to kill pop ups)

Running anything like that?

KenG 01 June 2002 11:01 PM

Some programs that stop pop-up ads, or firewalls with similar functions (Norton firewall ad blocking for example) can stop the reply button appearing.

Ken

ChrisB 01 June 2002 11:04 PM

Just to echo Ken's reply, I'm sure other folks have found Norton Firewall to be 'hiding' the reply button.

Dream Weaver 02 June 2002 12:57 PM

Usually something to do with naming conventions. SDB - may be worth changing the name of the image to reply_butt.jpg or something. Might not work but I have seen this before with images with the word banner in the name :)

DW

wacky.banana 02 June 2002 06:23 PM

All,

Yes I am running Norton's firewall. I will switch it off in a minute to see what happens. However I would be surprised if it was the firewall as I use another bulletin board with an identical configuration to this one and I don't have any problems.

Still stranger things have happened. Will keep you informed. thanks for the help so far.

WB

wacky.banana 02 June 2002 06:34 PM

Unbelievably, its the firewall. When its switched off I can see the reply button. May have to do with the parental control suite I have set up.

As the firewall is essential I will have to continue using "reply.asp" as a get-around.

Thanks again.

WB

chrisp 02 June 2002 06:39 PM

I run zonealarm firewall and it fine through that and it free for personal use.

nigelward 02 June 2002 06:48 PM

Hum, I use Norton Firewall and do not have a problem with it.

Check that it will allow cookies, for Scoobynet anyway, when you login a local cookie is put onto your machine. Norton Firewall maybe blocking this.

The quickest way I know to test that local cookies are working is to click on the VIP button. If no cookie is found you will be prompted to login.

Cheers

Nigel

wacky.banana 02 June 2002 07:11 PM

Nigel,

Just ran the VIP test and yep, no cookies, probably because NFW auto blocks them. I tend to be wary of cookies as they are now the new trojan horse in computer viruses.

Need to work my way round NFW to get this cookie loaded.

Cheers

nigelward 02 June 2002 08:35 PM

I'm running Version 2001 which by default permits cookies, so I am assuming that you are running 2002.

Hopefully the configuration options have not changed too much between the two releases but you should be able configure cookies through the advanced options.

You should then be able to add a new site with the settings required to get Scoobynet working, this will then leave your default settings intact for other web sites.

Nigel

wacky.banana 03 June 2002 05:58 PM

Problem seems to have been solved. I reconfigured the parental settings in NFW 2002 and it seems to have done the trick.

Thanks All.

WB

ex-webby 05 June 2002 10:37 AM

Hi

The problem is ad blocking. If you switch this off for scoobynet you will be fine.

Bare in mind also, that it costs scoobynet money to render and deliver the pages to you. The only way we can pay for that is by delivering an advert with the page. If you block the advert you are basically costing scoobynet money without allowing us the opportunity to earn money to pay for it.

All the best

Simon

Devil's Refugee 05 June 2002 11:03 AM

And how do you activate the wee smilies within the message ????

wacky.banana 05 June 2002 12:57 PM

Webmaster,

Don't have a problem with adverts as I understand that websites like these need to have an income to set against costs. However there are some websites that take the biscuit and don't do any work to get the balance right.

Classic example is the 4CAR website which has lost shedloads of users because it insists, for example, on masking out the page you are viewing with a full page advert of the MINI every "X" seconds .

Taking the p$$$ is an expression that comes to mind. My problem is now sorted.

Cheers

WB

ex-webby 05 June 2002 01:04 PM

agreed 100%

We will NEVER do that as it is IMHO an insult to the people using the site. I think we have the balance right.

All the best

Simon