ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Top Gear been run out of Argentina (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1012906-top-gear-been-run-out-of-argentina.html)

An0n0m0us 03 October 2014 01:51 PM

Top Gear been run out of Argentina

LOL it probably wasn't the wisest place to wind the locals up:

http://news.sky.com/story/1346704/to...t-of-argentina

:norty: :lol1:

JDM_Stig 03 October 2014 01:55 PM

another bollox story to highlight a new series,
the plates are legit and weren`t changed, no story. . .

An0n0m0us 03 October 2014 02:03 PM

Yes you would think it was another pr stunt but with how bad political tensions are between Argentina and UK this might actually have bitten them on the ar$e for real. Time will tell.

Mouser 03 October 2014 02:04 PM

Good to know the TV license fee is being wisely spent.

jaygsi 03 October 2014 02:07 PM

Top gear without clarkson will just fail, he is the glue and he's interesting, speaks his mind, love the way he describes cars, you can tell he has a passion, hence why 5th gear an't as popular, to be honest i think they would just employ him instead lol

Alan Jeffery 03 October 2014 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mouser (Post 11529890)

I'm quite happy to see it being unwisely spent by Clarkson! Hysterical..

Tidgy 03 October 2014 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mouser (Post 11529890)

Topgear is the biggest revenue earner bbc has. While hard to pin down exact figures,

'Sales of shows such as Doctor Who and Top Gear grew with revenues rising 7% year on year to £312.3m and profits growing almost 10% to £79.3m.'

So say half of it then £40mill would come out of the bbc budget if they stopped it.

Also clarkson earned 14 million last year, only £1million was from license fees, rest was proffit related pay from the production company who create it (not the bbc)

Mouser 03 October 2014 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 11529938)
Topgear is the biggest revenue earner bbc has. While hard to pin down exact figures,

'Sales of shows such as Doctor Who and Top Gear grew with revenues rising 7% year on year to £312.3m and profits growing almost 10% to £79.3m.'

So say half of it then £40mill would come out of the bbc budget if they stopped it.

Also clarkson earned 14 million last year, only £1million was from license fees, rest was proffit related pay from the production company who create it (not the bbc)

I guess I just don't like the programme format.

Tidgy 03 October 2014 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mouser (Post 11529962)

each to their own matey, but would be a finantial blow to the bbc if they stopped it

Maz 03 October 2014 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mouser (Post 11529962)

It's so contrived, repetitive and trite that it just doesn't appeal anymore. Some of the episodes of old were magnificent, combining cars and humour to great effect. Now it's just three blokes cocking about.

mart360 03 October 2014 05:40 PM

I remember the conflict, i was 16 at the time,

but what makes this plate so controversial?

If it had been XM 607, then i would have got the significance but as it stands, its a storm in a teacup

Mart:D

Kwik 03 October 2014 06:24 PM

Ridiculous non story.

It just makes me more likely to watch the new series.

scoobyskool 03 October 2014 07:11 PM

Damn argie pussies !! its one thing to insult our diplomats and monarchy but leave our jc and hamster alone !!

LSherratt 03 October 2014 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 11529894)
Top gear without clarkson will just fail, he is the glue and he's interesting, speaks his mind, love the way he describes cars, you can tell he has a passion, hence why 5th gear an't as popular, to be honest i think they would just employ him instead lol

It's because Top Gear appeals a lot more to the average Joe Bloggs and Dave Smith who enjoy watching idiotic faked stunts performed by grown silly men as a form on Sunday night "light entertainment" while sitting back in their arm chair with a fag in one hand and a can of beer in the other. I'd much rather watch something like 5th Gear which actually tries to appeal to people who are interested in cars.

Same old crap every single year, staged scenes, multiple races to a foreign country comprising of a various cars vs a boat vs public transport, some sort of 'car football', something involving blowing up or racing caravans/camper vans and making something stupid out of various cars. :sleep::sleep:

:thumb:

nik52wrx 03 October 2014 08:27 PM

Well done Jeremy, job done!
Everyone is talking about Top Gear, genius :D

Mouser 03 October 2014 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 11530014)
each to their own matey, but would be a finantial blow to the bbc if they stopped it

I never said they should stop it matey.

Suresh 03 October 2014 10:20 PM

Argentina can fcuk right off. The TG franchise is probably worth more than their country.

RS_Matt 03 October 2014 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 11529894)

5th gear is far superior to Top Gear. I've never liked it and its 'a good handling car is a crap car' stance.

Clarkson is vile and not many can see through his BS and his questionable love for Alfas.

Suresh 03 October 2014 10:53 PM

Don't watch it then

Originally Posted by RS_Matt (Post 11530216)
5th gear is far superior to Top Gear. I've never liked it and its 'a good handling car is a crap car' stance.

Clarkson is vile and not many can see through his BS and his questionable love for Alfas.

I don't watch 4th, 5th or 6th gear for that matter and so I don't have to complain about what I saw. It really is that easy!

The Dogs B******s 03 October 2014 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Suresh (Post 11530211)
Argentina can fcuk right off. The TG franchise is probably worth more than their country.

:thumb:

joz8968 04 October 2014 02:01 AM

Isn't it obvious the whole thing went ahead with the BBC's blessing (but *maybe* with the exception of the stone-throwing incident by the dago locals and alleged war veterans, etc. lol)....

Shock horror, TG in another controversy, as an upcoming new series is being filmed.

You don't have to be Einstein to work it out.

An0n0m0us 04 October 2014 08:01 AM

Joz the thing with this is that if it really did kick up a storm in Argentina the BBC wouldn't have sanctioned that because it risks them losing future permits to film there and any other country it p1sses off which it won't want to happen.

joz8968 04 October 2014 08:24 AM

Fair enough.

JDM_Stig 04 October 2014 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us (Post 11530309)
Joz the thing with this is that if it really did kick up a storm in Argentina the BBC wouldn't have sanctioned that because it risks them losing future permits to film there and any other country it p1sses off which it won't want to happen.

that said Tourism went up in Mexico after they fun TG made of it,
Clarkson mentioned it in his newspaper column :thumb:

Gear Head 04 October 2014 12:08 PM

Top Gear is awesome and always will be. Those who don't agree need to lighten up and get a sense of humour.

:rolleyes:

tony de wonderful 05 October 2014 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by LSherratt (Post 11530114)
I'd much rather watch something like 5th Gear which actually tries to appeal to people who are interested in cars.

And who fancy cracking one off to VBH? :lol1:

ALi-B 05 October 2014 04:15 PM

Euuueww

joz8968 05 October 2014 06:38 PM

lol

stedee 06 October 2014 05:06 AM

I do think they picked that car on purpose. They always do something with regs. Clarkson and the gang know their war history. He's always taking the piss out of the Germans lol but it is humour. Other countries don't have the same sort of humour as us and the argies are in the **** so I think it upset them but it doesn't take much. They will probably have another go now at taking the Falklands. I do love their moral high ground considering they're not indigenous people either.

joz8968 27 December 2014 08:10 PM

*** Heads Up ***

The Patagonia Special, Part 1, at 8.30.

Part 2 tomorrow, 8pm...