ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Flying from Terminal 5 - advice (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1012746-flying-from-terminal-5-advice.html)

EddScott 01 October 2014 09:53 AM

Flying from Terminal 5 - advice

I am flying to Kiev towards the end of October and would like some advice flying from Terminal 5.

I'm thinking of taking the train and can see the trainline fare takes me to Terminal 5 but from there I don't know which would be the most suitable hotel to stay in the night before. I've looked at the Premier Inn for T5 but its not actually near the terminal so I take it I'd have to get the bus?

Anyone got any tips on how I should go about this?

tony de wonderful 01 October 2014 10:03 AM

Kiev?!

Fat Boy 01 October 2014 10:39 AM

Stay in town where you get a much wider choice and get the Heathrow Express from Paddington Station- its only 15 minutes and it goes direct to T5 (second stop)?

Otherwise it depends on budget - the Sofitel is the only one directly connected to the terminal or, the cheap alternative, there is a Travelodge just outside the airport which has a dedicated shuttle bus.

Never stayed in any of them as I live in London and so do the Heathrow Express thing on my multiple T5 trips per month.

Kiev is generally alright at the moment.

Funkii Munkii 01 October 2014 10:43 AM

Hilton Colnbrook, 5 minute bus ride to T5.

Paben 01 October 2014 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by EddScott (Post 11528296)
I am flying to Kiev towards the end of October and would like some advice flying from Terminal 5.

I'm thinking of taking the train and can see the trainline fare takes me to Terminal 5 but from there I don't know which would be the most suitable hotel to stay in the night before. I've looked at the Premier Inn for T5 but its not actually near the terminal so I take it I'd have to get the bus?

Anyone got any tips on how I should go about this?

All the airport hotels run very regular bus services to all terminals, they'll even wake you up and put you on the right bus, dead simple!

hodgy0_2 01 October 2014 03:26 PM

Hotel buses are the best answer, all local ones run them and they are free

and the Heathrow express is not cheap - I believe "pound per mile" the most expensive in the world

rossyboy 01 October 2014 06:35 PM

Nothing wrong with that premier inn if it's the Bath Road one. stayed there a couple of times.

Just get the hoppa bus to and from T5. Think its flat rate of £4 each way. Drops you off at the hotel door.

Fat Boy 02 October 2014 11:15 AM

Heathrow Express is about £25 single so not far off a £1 per mile - probably less than a scooby costs per mile... ;) and similarly, both are about speed.

I willingly pay more when in work mode to pretty much guarantee a 15 minute transit to Heathrow from central London versus up to an hour on a bus, or £55 in a taxi or a million stops on the tube. No idea if Edd is in expenses mode or just funding his own war zone sight seeing :D

EddScott 02 October 2014 12:54 PM

Booked into T5 Premier Inn and I'll get the bus.

Not going near the fighting. Where I am going has been very quiet since May 1986. ;)

Fat Boy 03 October 2014 12:43 PM

Hope you've got your geiger counter with you then;)

EddScott 30 October 2014 01:47 PM

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/uplo..._96_157290.jpg

Dr Hu 30 October 2014 02:05 PM

Cool - is that the nuclear sarcophogus in the background?

EddScott 30 October 2014 02:27 PM

Yes. Reactor 4 with the new dome being built alongside. I'm stood on top of the Fujiyama building in Pripyat. 16 floors and no lift!

Fat Boy 31 October 2014 11:31 PM

Excellent shot.,

I've just been reading Riding Rockets by Mike Mullane about his experiences as a shuttle astronaut and one bit that caught my attention was the bit about he was advised to deplete his ummmm scrotal reserves several times before attempting to procreate after coming back from Space to get rid of his now radioactive man gravy due to the cosmic rays that irradiate space travellers.

So you have been warned after standing next to Chernobyl...;)

SJ_Skyline 01 November 2014 08:44 AM

Awesome photo! :thumb: