ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Covering school books (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1012728-covering-school-books.html)

tarmac terror 30 September 2014 10:24 PM

Covering school books

My kids have been sent home with some books from school with a note for parents to put a protective covering on the books.

I recall as a kid having by school books covered with the most awful wall paper from the 1980's but I would have thought with schools now focussed on responsible citizenship and trying to improve their environmental credentials that un-necessary use of paper would have caused this pointless activity to have ceased years ago.

Can anyone (esp teachers) tell me what the point of this exercise is? Why on earth in the 21st centuary do schools insist on having 'paperback' notebooks covered with some other type of paper covering? My kids have a book case each with more books than I care to count, and none of them have additional covers over that of the manufacturer. None of them are damaged or destroyed beyond the odd turned down or creased page. Totally pointless waste of time, and paper.

RA Dunk 30 September 2014 10:41 PM

Feck me, I remember doing this in the 70's!!

The Trooper 1815 30 September 2014 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by RA Dunk (Post 11528100)
Feck me, I remember doing this in the 70's!!

Me too! God awful flock paper :(

speedking 01 October 2014 01:03 AM

Sticky back plastic FTW!

JayUK91 01 October 2014 01:25 AM

Are they allowed to cover it in what they wish? For me at school we could cover them in posters and such.

This is just the simple psychology of positive association. A child may dislike a subject at school, but the small act of associating that subject with a book covered in their favourite 'thing' goes a long way in improving relations between the child and that particular subject.

Of course, I completely made that all up. It's probably just bored teachers.

alcazar 01 October 2014 05:57 AM

Stops them graffiti-ing them.

Throwback to the old grammar schools, hence the stricter uniforms, blazers etc that many parents can't really afford.

But hey-ho...it helps weak parents who can't tell their kids what NOT to wear for school: blame the school.

Get some clear plastic sheeting.

Or buy slip on covers and sellotape them in place.

Rusti 01 October 2014 08:00 AM

I thought it was to make them easier to identify which was yours seeing as they are all the same? We had to do the exercise books as well!

zip106 01 October 2014 11:07 AM

Centrefold from Plumpers Monthly - goes down a storm.

Cpt Jack Sparrow 01 October 2014 11:20 AM

Mine were done with Woodchip paper, it was cheap at 99p a roll, and got lots of it.

Made the books bloody heavy though :lol1::lol1:

Dr Hu 01 October 2014 01:20 PM

yep my daughter came home with hers to cover last week too!
It does seem a bit wierd these days.

wrx300scooby 01 October 2014 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Hu (Post 11528431)
yep my daughter came home with hers to cover last week too!
It does seem a bit wierd these days.

Are you in Ireland too Dr Hu?

Dingdongler 01 October 2014 05:42 PM

My son also came home with about fifteen books at the beginning of term that needed covering. We had to do them in clear sticky back plastic, took me all frickin' evening to do.

CrisPDuk 02 October 2014 12:27 PM

I remember doing this back in the '80s :rolleyes:

My mum used to do the book-keeping for a few local companies, one of which made brightly coloured paper, so my exercise books usually got covered in their wastes & seconds :thumb:

It was an easy way of spotting other kids whose parents worked there too :D

urban 02 October 2014 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11528186)
Stops them graffiti-ing them.

Thats what I assumed