ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   IDS announces-voucher system for benefits! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1012707-ids-announces-voucher-system-for-benefits.html)

Dingdongler 30 September 2014 05:51 PM

IDS announces-voucher system for benefits!

I've always said as Welfare minister this guy has shown what a serious politician he is. I hope this actually happens and isn't just spin.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...l-9763854.html

taylor85 30 September 2014 05:59 PM

Yeah it's a good idea ,

legb4rsk 30 September 2014 06:05 PM

Yep he is a proper Nazi. Be careful what you wish for.

taylor85 30 September 2014 06:08 PM

Should give then some cash tho for simple pleasures in life

alcazar 30 September 2014 06:10 PM

Great idea...will sadly be quashed by the ECHR.

JGlanzaV 30 September 2014 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by taylor85 (Post 11527803)
Should give then some cash tho for simple pleasures in life

No definitely not....

Benefits are not for luxuries or pleasures they are to survive, nothing more nothing less.....

Its not supposed to be fun been on benefits it is to get you out of the **** while you find a job to look after yourself....

taylor85 30 September 2014 06:31 PM

My sister in law had a job the social worker told her to quit !!

She worked in a care home few hours a week but was the odd shift or nights said it was disruptive to my nephew which they think has some issues or autism

JGlanzaV 30 September 2014 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by taylor85 (Post 11527829)
My sister in law had a job the social worker told her to quit !!

She worked in a care home few hours a week but was the odd shift or nights said it was disruptive to my nephew which they think has some issues or autism

So? Life is disruptive, find a different job would be my solution!

There is really no reason why a lot of people even disabled cannot work....

ReallyReallyGoodMeat 30 September 2014 06:38 PM

I like the principle. I think in practice it'll be difficult to stop people converting it to cash to spend as they do now.

Plus not everyone has a machine to read cards (market traders for one).

I agree that have the bulk on a card (70%?) and the rest in cash - they shouldn't be prohibited from a pint down the pub or whatever. Take away these kinds of small treats and I can see huge increases in depression and anxiety on the horizon.

smiffywhu 30 September 2014 06:39 PM

hard!!!

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11527837)

:lol:

You are a hard man, but I like your attitude towards benefits scroungers :thumb:

JGlanzaV 30 September 2014 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by smiffywhu (Post 11527845)

You are a hard man, but I like your attitude towards benefits scroungers :thumb:

I'd have blind people set up at home doing a call centre type job with a braille computer and and internet connection. No need for massive call centres....

They are blind, not incapable of answering a phone!

Same goes for amputees etc!

Most people are able to contribute something, there is no excuse for contributing nothing!

taylor85 30 September 2014 07:03 PM

Yeah was annoyed they told her to just quit !

Dingdongler 30 September 2014 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11527851)
I'd have blind people set up at home doing a call centre type job with a braille computer and and internet connection. No need for massive call centres....

Most people are able to contribute something, there is no excuse for contributing nothing!

I like the cut of your jib young man!:lol1:

Dingdongler 30 September 2014 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by legb4rsk (Post 11527797)

Why does it make him a Nazi if he wants to ensure that tax payer's money isn't spent on booze, lotto tickets, fags or dog food?:wonder:

chocolate_o_brian 30 September 2014 07:22 PM

Agree. Our little boy is borderline autistic and me/the Mrs have to work full time. It means he spends time with other people rather than falling into too many damaging routines and patterns.

zip106 30 September 2014 08:31 PM

Yeah! the blokes could use their dictaphone...

birchy2010 30 September 2014 08:38 PM

I totally agree. Had a brilliant story from my better half the other week where a couple were trying to book a holiday with her and asked her to work out the payments to make sure they could afford it with there dole money each week!

JGlanzaV 30 September 2014 08:42 PM

I'd stop dole money too....

No such thing as "unemployed" only not wanting or refusing.

I'd have em out cleaning bogs and scraping chewing gum off the streets, and removing graffiti, want money, earn it....! Would soon stop the claims that's for sure, nothing would focus the mind like been elbow deep in a turd unblocking a bog! They would soon take a menial paid job then!

RA Dunk 30 September 2014 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11527961)

I'd have em out cleaning bogs and scraping chewing gum off the streets, and removing graffiti, want money, earn it....! Would soon stop the claims that's for sure, nothing would focus the mind like been elbow deep in a turd unblocking a bog! They would soon take a menial paid job then!

Would also learn the low life plebs a bit of respect to other peoples and public property as well.

f1_fan 30 September 2014 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 11527948)
Yeah! the blokes could use their dictaphone...

:lol1::lol1::lol1:

As alcazar said IDS can make all the Tory voter pleasing pledges he likes as he knows they will never happen much like Teflon May's revolutionary proposals for tackling extremism.

They are dreamers and people who are sucked in by their nonsense need to engage their brain!

Dirk Diggler 75 30 September 2014 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by legb4rsk (Post 11527797)

This ........^^^^

smiffywhu 30 September 2014 10:32 PM

This man for Prime Minister!:notworthy

Martin2005 30 September 2014 11:19 PM

What a truly idiotic post

lordharding 30 September 2014 11:34 PM

Respect

Good post and policies

Midlife...... 30 September 2014 11:39 PM

Well that's not going to work in the real world is it ? ..........claimant has a voucher for £50 worth of food but sells it for £20 to buy alcohol / drugs.

Shaun

zip106 30 September 2014 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 11528134)
What a truly idiotic post

I wouldn't say idiotic, but not thought through.

If claimants are cleaning the streets /bogs etc for 'free', those that now do it as a paid job will be unemployed. And will then claim benefits.

Ad Infinitum...

Martin2005 01 October 2014 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 11528147)
I wouldn't say idiotic, but not thought through.

If claimants are cleaning the streets /bogs etc for 'free', those that now do it as a paid job will be unemployed. And will then claim benefits.

Ad Infinitum...

I think I'll stick with 'idiotic' :)

Lisawrx 01 October 2014 12:32 AM

Thing is though, Zip, and area to area will differ, some of these things aren't being done. Or certainly not regularly enough. Putting in some extra help, wouldn't necessarily put people out of jobs.

I do also agree with the notion that it may make people care about their areas more. People picking up rubbish, cleaning graffiti etc. may have less tolerance of these things happening in the first place if they were the ones having to clear it up. Whilst it remains somebody else's problem, who cares?

The part of the original quote I'd disagree with is, that there is no such thing as unemployed. It is a real problem, and there is no denying, that sometimes people cannot just walk into a job as soon as they find themselves out of one. That is what a benefits system is for, to support people in the short term. I don't think people should be demonised for needing a bit of help, nor do I think in the case of a short term reliance, they should be excluded from being able to ever purchase a 'luxury'. There is however, a difference between people like that, and those that have jumped aboard for a free ride through life.

zip106 01 October 2014 08:29 AM

I do actually agree with the notion of making longterm benefit claimants give something back to society for the money they get, but it needs to be well thought out.

What do we class as longterm?
Would they be likely to take other peoples jobs?
Cost of training?
Health & Safety (we may laugh, but there are laws)
People need to supervise - cost?

There are loads of parameters that could/would make it not cost effective.

Unfortunately, i think the current system will just carry on..

tony de wonderful 01 October 2014 08:40 AM

What are you going to to about people who evade working by owning rent seeking assets such as property?