ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Flooded with cancer ads and articles on TV..... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1011887-flooded-with-cancer-ads-and-articles-on-tv.html)

alcazar 16 September 2014 08:53 PM

Flooded with cancer ads and articles on TV.....

Why?

And what's with the huge long TV advert about how we are beating cancer? Is THAT what I give money to them for? To pay advertising fees on TV?

I'm also upset to see so much about how we are winning, when I have lost friends to cancer....only ONE person I know survived.

donny andi 16 September 2014 09:55 PM

My mum did the race for life runs for years...2 or 3 years ago she stopped when she found out how little they actually recieve after everyone has skimmed it.
I can't remember the exact % they get but it was shameful how little they recieve

bustaMOVEs 16 September 2014 10:03 PM

Cancer medications etc is a multi billion pound business, there are cures out there but in illegal form.
Have you ever heard of the royal family dying of cancer?

Sorry to put a downer on the sufferers and my heart goes out to all of them but the country sucks.

urban 17 September 2014 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11516627)
Why?

And what's with the huge long TV advert about how we are beating cancer? Is THAT what I give money to them for? To pay advertising fees on TV?

I'm also upset to see so much about how we are winning, when I have lost friends to cancer....only ONE person I know survived.

I'd wonder how much of the donation actually goes to research personally.
Those advertising campaigns can't be cheap, then the 'admin' salaries too.

Also while having a moan about TV ads.
We get bombarded with gambling, alcohol, and far to much about womens week aids.
Gambling advertising seems to be getting out of hand though.

angel1368 17 September 2014 08:11 AM

my mum who i am so close to is dying of cancer, started in her lung and has now spreasd, with treatment she may have 12 months left, after looking after her for the day i get home to my wife and kids sit down to watch some tv and low and behold every other advert is about fkin cancer and it brings it all back

dpb 17 September 2014 08:29 AM

Are they not relatively close to finding cure for some types....?!

All needs money

hodgy0_2 17 September 2014 10:19 AM

the survival rates for Child cancer are very good - 80%

and improving all the time

it is a real success story

alcazar 17 September 2014 10:48 AM

That's good...but it's wrong to use those figures to make others think "we are winning".

And the advertising is spending far too much.

David Lock 17 September 2014 10:55 AM

The guys in that Czech hospital that the Southampton kid went to said that their treatment gave a 70-80% survival rate which stunned me. I thought he was given months only?

dl

hodgy0_2 17 September 2014 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 11516986)
The guys in that Czech hospital that the Southampton kid went to said that their treatment gave a 70-80% survival rate which stunned me. I thought he was given months only?

dl

he always had that - the imminent death line was simply "spinning" (or lying as it is called)

to justify the heavy handed treatment

Martin2005 17 September 2014 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11516980)
That's good...but it's wrong to use those figures to make others think "we are winning".

I don't really understand your point as...
They wouldn't invest in advertising if it wasn't effective at raising funds.

dpb 17 September 2014 11:40 AM

im sure there are plenty charity oligarchs ,this sector included ,running around in chuffered rollers

ReallyReallyGoodMeat 17 September 2014 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 11517005)
I don't really understand your point as...
They wouldn't invest in advertising if it wasn't effective at raising funds.

I think the point is whether they are advertising to raise funds for more advertising - if the majority of cash is diverted to this then it's as good for research as not advertising at all.

grey_boy 17 September 2014 11:56 AM

Really.... why do they advertise...

to raise more money dumbo

I had read some daft articles but this takes top prize

Martin2005 17 September 2014 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat (Post 11517018)
I think the point is whether they are advertising to raise funds for more advertising - if the majority of cash is diverted to this then it's as good for research as not advertising at all.

They will know per as break what the direct response is to adverting. They will have a good grasp on the diminishing returns from advertising too.

Therefore they will know when, where and how often to advertise to maximise donations.

ReallyReallyGoodMeat 17 September 2014 12:05 PM

Or it could just be that they need to pay the CEO's £140k base salary somehow (Cancer Research)!

http://www.theguardian.com/society/s...042677,00.html

Martin2005 17 September 2014 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat (Post 11517032)
Or it could just be that they need to pay the CEO's £140k base salary somehow (Cancer Research)!

The advertising must be pretty effective then:)

Chip 17 September 2014 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11516980)

But they are wining Jeff, that is a fact. Far more people survive now from cancer than they did even 15-20 years ago, my wife being one of them. She was lucky in that we have Velindre hospital close to us where she was treated. This hospital carries out a lot of the UK's research into curing cancer, a huge part of which is paid funded by cancer charities.

alcazar 17 September 2014 02:56 PM

Survival rate in my mates etc is below 10%.....

strawberryhead 17 September 2014 04:18 PM

Charity starts at home

strawberryhead 17 September 2014 04:20 PM

Nail on the head

Martin2005 17 September 2014 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by strawberryhead (Post 11517211)
Charity starts at home

What does that actually mean?

richie001 17 September 2014 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by strawberryhead (Post 11517211)
Charity starts at home

What a daft comment :wonder:

There would be no need for cancer ads,if we stop killing each other in stupid wars and spent the money on saving live :(

dpb 17 September 2014 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 11517230)
What does that actually mean?

Only his mum is allowed to tug him off

mart360 17 September 2014 07:28 PM

I find it confusing to say the least, and just before anyone takes offence, its a genuine question.

We have the cancer charity's who are asking for money to fund research for cures .

We have the drugs company's who carry out research for a cure & manufacture drugs for the cures.

So what do the cancer charity's do with the info and research they carry out? Do they sell that info to drugs company's? do they manufacturing drugs / cures..

Do they give the info foc to the pharma company's who then make the drugs?

if they dont make drugs and cures and just research, what benefit is that?

Mart

strawberryhead 17 September 2014 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11517301)
Only his mum is allowed to tug him off

Sick ****

It's means I don't believe in giving money to others when we fight pointless wars and kill kids all in the name of this gov

boomer 17 September 2014 09:41 PM

Is there an equivalent table that is not ten+ years old?

Just wondering, after seeing how much the Ice Bollox Challenge CEOs earned!

mb

dpb 17 September 2014 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by strawberryhead (Post 11517534)
Sick ****

It's means I don't believe in giving money to others when we fight pointless wars and kill kids all in the name of this gov

Well it's point of view I suppose, not likely to be reversed in a hurry I'm afraid though

Martin2005 18 September 2014 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by strawberryhead (Post 11517534)
Sick ****

What has you giving to charity got to do with us fighting wars?

strawberryhead 18 September 2014 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 11517831)
What has you giving to charity got to do with us fighting wars?

This gov would rather spend our money on fighting wars than find cures for cancer and other diseases as I said in my other post I'm against wars