ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   'Impreza' still cuts the mustard. (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1011854-impreza-still-cuts-the-mustard.html)

Maz 16 September 2014 12:26 AM

'Impreza' still cuts the mustard.

http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/se...ti_comparison/

Fonzey 16 September 2014 12:36 AM

That 2014 car is really growing on me, though I didn't realise the US only got 1000 of them!

south_scoob 16 September 2014 12:44 AM

mercedes design team has lost the plot

ditchmyster 16 September 2014 07:03 AM

Interesting, least powerful yet most fun. No surprise it loses out slightly in the 0-60 and qtr mile. I think Subaru should have upped the power to put it at the same level as it's "rivals" oh and made it more reliable, then they'd have been onto a winner.

Paben 16 September 2014 07:42 AM

Reads well but is it the same old flawed 2.5 engine?

urban 16 September 2014 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Paben (Post 11516061)
Reads well but is it the same old flawed 2.5 engine?

Absolutely, only a matter of time before it'll have shat its bags

neil-h 16 September 2014 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11516050)
Interesting, least powerful yet most fun. No surprise it loses out slightly in the 0-60 and qtr mile. I think Subaru should have upped the power to put it at the same level as it's "rivals" oh and made it more reliable, then they'd have been onto a winner.

Nice assumption there. :lol1:

Oh and how **** were the photos on that website.

Steve Whitehorn 16 September 2014 08:57 AM

The reviewer, Jeremy, has always had a soft spot for Imprezas.
I used to chat to him on and off years back.

Yes the pics!!!! not the best

f1_fan 16 September 2014 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by south_scoob (Post 11516029)
mercedes design team has lost the plot

At least they have a design team, the Subaru looks like it was designed by a blind retarded chimp! It's a complete aesthetic mess.

grey_boy 16 September 2014 09:38 AM

Still cuts the mustard and the residuals are far better than those German things..

Looks stunning too. Love it

f1_fan 16 September 2014 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by grey_boy (Post 11516110)
Still cuts the mustard and the residuals are far better than those German things..

You must have sh1t in your eye :lol1:

grey_boy 16 September 2014 10:09 AM

You must have sh1t in your eye
Yeah I think so...your missus backfired..again

Blue by You 16 September 2014 10:11 AM

I think the new WRX STi is just more of the same. And it looks like an EVO to boot, I mean whatever happened to considered design?
Will there be yet more 2.5 engine woes?
It's the least powerful engine of the three in both bhp and torque, not good when the Merc has just a 2.0 litre lump.
Consequently in spite of being the lightest car the STi still has the worst power to weight ratio.
More of the same appalling mpg figures compared to the faster German rivals - 23mpg best against their low 30's is nothing to brag about these days, even if you do allow that you don't buy a performance car to save fuel.
It's the slowest car in everything apart from accelleration up to 50mph and the road course lap which it won by 0.08 seconds, wow.
Look at the picture of the engine bay. That photo could have been taken 10 years ago. Where's the progress?
Oh yes, and it comes in a new and original snappy colour scheme. Blue over gold. How innovative. Resting on laurels?

Ok so it's the cheapest by some way, and it has the best drivetrain warranty - good job really because that might be the best thing about it.

It doesn't cut any mustard for me. And since when did Americans know enough about sports saloons to be able to give a valid opinion? Oh yeah, they built one - the Corvette. :lol1:

Maz 16 September 2014 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Fonzey (Post 11516026)
That 2014 car is really growing on me, though I didn't realise the US only got 1000 of them!

Whilst I don't think we'll ever get back to the glory days of the Impreza, I'm quite heartened by the reviews of the latest model. It's getting the thumbs up from all those testing it. The no nonsense 'spit on yer hands and get on with it' philosophy synonymous with the early models seems to be back. Unfortunately the 2.5 is still an unknown quantity and could make or break the model.
Looks wise it's a subjective thing. I like the wings and bulges, typical Impreza idiosyncrasy. Plus Imprezas are like angels, they look a little ordinary without wings!:D

Ps no bun fighting please, let's appreciate what little Subaru has to offer.

f1_fan 16 September 2014 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by grey_boy (Post 11516131)
Yeah I think so...your missus backfired..again

No, it's because your head is up your own ar5e!

f1_fan 16 September 2014 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 11516137)
Looks wise it's a subjective thing. I like the wings and bulges, typical Impreza idiosyncrasy. Plus Imprezas are like angels, they look a little ordinary without wings!:D

Ps no bun fighting please, let's appreciate what little Subaru has to offer.

It's not really that subjective though is it? Grab any qualified designer and he/she will look at it and point out how nothing flows, there is no design aesthetique if you like. Say what you like about Mercs, BMWs and Audi, but at least there is a design philosophy and some integrity to the visual concept.

The current STI, in fact all STIs since 2007 look like they were designed by a committee that never met.

Compare them to the smooth lines and integration of the original classic Impreza and it's like they are from a different world. Yes the original design is dated, but it had balance and worked as a design greater than the sum of its parts if you like, the current one is nothing more than a mess, there is no flow, no overall concept, it's like they came in every day and said 'let's put a crease here', 'let's put a vent there', 'let's put a bulge here'... horrible quite frankly!

Blue by You 16 September 2014 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 11516137)
let's appreciate what little Subaru has to offer.

Unfortunately I think you have hit the nail fair and square with that remark.

Blue by You 16 September 2014 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Xline (Post 11516146)
I am not really seeing the differences ...

http://image.motortrend.com/f/679604...-STI-promo.jpg

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/...psf1008ae4.png

My photo editing skills are awesome.

Originally Posted by Blue by You (Post 11516134)
And it looks like an EVO to boot

My point exactly.

neil-h 16 September 2014 10:52 AM

Are they though? Last time i looked on autotrader it was full of overpriced cars that people were struggling to shift.

LuckyWelshchap 16 September 2014 11:40 AM

Cheers for the post, good link imo :thumb:

Our American pals never fail to bring a smile to my face.

'Pobst says it's the best bimmer ever. That's enough for me' (or words to that effect) says one.
Strange, considering it was a comparison test, one NOT between BMs.

There was also the stupid comment about looks and buying (or not) a car because of them - this on a peformance comparison site :cuckoo:

Anyway, some diamonds among the mud:
  • Good comment regarding the overall handling etc. where the poster said that a pro driver would make the differences count but an amateur wouldn't, hence the scooby being faster/better for the ordinary man-in-the-street.
    I agree. A Subaru isn't forgiving, it doesn't need to be - it doesn't let you make the mistake in the first place (unless you're incredibly stupid and fail to turn the wheel).
  • And the comment(s) about not comparing like with like.
    A Subaru is in its own created and very limited niche (which it shares with the Evo). Not a sports car, not a family saloon but it can double as either.
This perhaps is a problem Subaru owners/drivers face. Sports car drivers don't like being out-performed by a family saloon and saloon drivers don't like sports car drivers showing off.

But back fully on track isn't it also interesting to see that other manufacturers are moving into the performance AWD market, even if it is 'downwards' to BM and MB diehards ?

Perhaps the 'plank yank' who posted that Subarus are 'F & F, sooo 2001' might now consider the idea ahead of its time ?

Carnut 16 September 2014 12:21 PM

In case you are as dim as me you need to go through the pics in order to read full review.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/BMW...WRX-2014-05-08

NormantheDog 16 September 2014 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by chris j t (Post 11516223)
In case you are as dim as me you need to go through the pics in order to read full review.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/BMW...WRX-2014-05-08

He's back!

NormantheDog 16 September 2014 01:30 PM

:thumb: Has he bought one yet though ;)

LSherratt 16 September 2014 01:39 PM

I enjoyed the read but take all the comments with a pinch of salt. The only real test/judge is for you to go out and test one for yourself. You may be pleasantly surprised or you may think what a horrible thing it is.

Maz 16 September 2014 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by LSherratt (Post 11516308)
I enjoyed the read but take all the comments with a pinch of salt. The only real test/judge is for you to go out and test one for yourself. You may be pleasantly surprised or you may think what a horrible thing it is.

True, likes and dislikes are very subjective.
However given the lukewarm run the Impreza has had of late, it's good to read anything positive. I'm very much an Impreza man. It's becoming a cliche but it's the ubiquitous working class hero. Punching well above it's weight and possessing an endearing appeal (to me anyway).
Whilst it will never capture the iconic status of it's forebears thankfully it's embodying some of the spirit. All imho of course.

dnc 16 September 2014 10:13 PM

Really??

f1_fan 16 September 2014 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by dnc (Post 11516723)
Really??

Yes, really and the 2.5 engine doesn't have a design fault either ;) :lol1: These threads get more laughable by the week. Blinkered, deluded or plain daft... I don't know which!

NormantheDog 16 September 2014 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11516745)
Yes, really and the 2.5 engine doesn't have a design fault either ;) :lol1: These threads get more laughable by the week. Blinkered, deluded or plain daft... I don't know which!

Thank god we only live once :lol1:

LuckyWelshchap 17 September 2014 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by NormantheDog (Post 11516751)
Thank god we only live once :lol1:

Thank the Devil that he does :D

CADpaul 17 September 2014 12:37 PM

i'm just back from America and they are raving about the new WRX with its 2.0 268 HP engine, most say its not worth the extra for the STI, Subaru adverts were on the TV quite a bit too out there