ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Engine Management and ECU Remapping (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/)
-   -   Second Hand Alcatek (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/1011423-second-hand-alcatek.html)

ep2007 09 September 2014 12:32 AM

Second Hand Alcatek

Looking at fitting an Alcatek ECU and noticed a few up for sale over recent months. Trying to work out what saving I'd make from buying the ECU second hand, then having it mapped.

Any ideas how much on average a map costs if you already have the Alcatek fitted in the car?

Also, are there any issues with transferring licenses for the software?

ep2007 10 September 2014 07:38 AM

Anyone?

cookstar 10 September 2014 08:20 AM

As far as I know there's no licence to worry about, I've just bought a used Alcatek (currently with Alcatek being modified) as soon as its back and fitted JGM will be mapping it. He is charging usual price for a full map.

I saved quite a bit of cash doing t this way. :thumb:

stonejedi 10 September 2014 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by ep2007 (Post 11510410)
Looking at fitting an Alcatek ECU and noticed a few up for sale over recent months. Trying to work out what saving I'd make from buying the ECU second hand, then having it mapped.

Any ideas how much on average a map costs if you already have the Alcatek fitted in the car?

Just make sure you get one with the fresh updates already installed,otherwise it will have to be sent off to get done which can be time consuming.No licences to worry about its not Ecutek,just a mappers cost,so can work out to be a bargain if you pick up one for the right price.SJ.

cookstar 10 September 2014 09:37 PM

£50 for an update, not the end of the world.

stonejedi 10 September 2014 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 11512130)
£50 for an update, not the end of the world.

Not talking cost i'm talking about turn around its not going to go in on a monday and come back on a tuesday,and thats talking from experience.SJ.

cookstar 10 September 2014 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by stonejedi (Post 11512154)
Not talking cost i'm talking about turn around its not going to go in on a monday and come back on a tuesday,and thats talking from experience.SJ.

Yeah, I hear ya. Mines in there at the moment. So far communication has been fine (via email only though). Should have it turned around in 10 days. :)

ep2007 10 September 2014 11:15 PM

Thanks for the replies….think it could save me a fair bit doing it this way then!

bigdal 10 September 2014 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by ep2007 (Post 11510410)

I've brought one and I'm taking it to Simon @ jgm and I think he said it was 360 for the remap and 80 for dyno time . He has my software for it as it was mapped there before you don't need a license.

stonejedi 11 September 2014 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 11512186)
Yeah, I hear ya. Mines in there at the moment. So far communication has been fine (via email only though). Should have it turned around in 10 days. :)

If your very lucky;)keep us posted.SJ.

Anger 11 September 2014 10:44 AM

I picked one up yesterday cheap and will send it off, doesn't matter how long it takes as I only have a rolling shell at the mo :D

cookstar 11 September 2014 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by stonejedi (Post 11512305)
If your very lucky;)keep us posted.SJ.

ssshhhhhh. I'm staying positive so far. :D