ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   insanely stubborn suspension boltd (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1011064-insanely-stubborn-suspension-boltd.html)

dabiscuit 02 September 2014 06:08 PM

insanely stubborn suspension boltd

Hi ya'll.

Anyone got any tips on removing bolts behind the brake disc? I have managed to fit coilovers to one rear corner of my car. The other side is just too hard for me.
It is anti clockwise to unscrew isnt it? Not me going mad.
I dont have an air gun just a decent set of tools. Tried wd40 and other grease/rust removers, brut force, hammers even shouting at it. They just won't budge!

scoobyskool 02 September 2014 06:49 PM

Lol shouting didnt work !! did you throw the F word at it ?

I hate these theres always one nuts etc ,,, i find shock and unlock type stuff much better then wd40 though for un seizing nuts etc ,,, six sided sockets are a must so they dont slip

I previously had a landy and they seem to suffer from a lot of seized nuts so i picked up a handy little butane blowtorch cheap off ebay that often allowed some pinpoint heat directed at the offending item which can free it up ,, ill try find a link

Edit - one of these i got as im scared of the damage i might do with a full size blowtorch but these get things well hot when needed as well as can solder with ithttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IRODA-MICR...-/270955631270

Paben 02 September 2014 07:27 PM

Hex socket as above and if I remember correctly you have to lock up the nut with a spanner and actually unwind the bolt. A massive breaker bar was required for mine, although an air gun would be the ideal tool. Once your coilover is fitted you have to tighten the bolt again with the nut just locked in place with the spanner. This doesn't seem ideal but it does the job and mine haven't fallen off yet.

dabiscuit 02 September 2014 07:47 PM

Ive heard of the blow torch trick. Thought about sitting there with a lighter under it!
Might ask a nearby garage if I can steal their air gun for a few minutes.
I managed the other one with a hex bar and a spanner and lots of f'ing and blinding.

Turbotits 02 September 2014 07:49 PM

A large breaker bar should do the job.

J.e30 02 September 2014 08:44 PM

heat is your friend, and a bigf-ing bar

hooley scoob 02 September 2014 11:17 PM

breaker bar sorted mine

LSherratt 02 September 2014 11:28 PM

1/2" 6 sided socket with long breaker bar and a hammer will undo virtually any nut.

Fonzey 02 September 2014 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by dabiscuit (Post 11505509)
Tried wd40 and other grease/rust removers

Not sure about "other grease/rust removers" but WD40 is worthless for undoing stuff.

I struggled with the same bolts on my car, NOTHING budged them and the motor in my mains powered rattlegun started smelling a bit ugly!

I then went to a motorfactors and got "Plus Gas" and it unseized them within about 20mins.

ST-X 02 September 2014 11:57 PM

I used a 3.5ft breaker bar on a 6 point socket and had the bar so bent with force that I thought it was going to snap before the bolt finally broke loose! Go for loosening the nut first rather than the bolt too, it's usually easier to free them off that way first.

ditchmyster 03 September 2014 07:31 AM

Proper penetrating oil is a must, forget WD40. Small wire brush give the threads a good scrub and spray liberally, then walk away for an hour or two. Ideally I always do this the day before and usually twice before I even get involved with trying to undo rusted bolts.:thumb:

Matt_STi 03 September 2014 10:06 AM

breaker bar and lot of screaming like a girl did it for me!

JDM_Stig 03 September 2014 10:34 AM

if its the 2 big fixing bolts you would be better undoing the nut, if your trying to undo the bolt you are trying to undo it and all the rust that`s holding it in place,
the nut will come off with less torque required,
I use a socket with T bar then use the trolley jack to undo it, worked on dozens of cars for decades until I got an electric impact gun lol

sovietspybob 03 September 2014 11:36 AM

I've used the breaker bar and trolley jack trick a few times, think i just stood on the end of my breaker bar to do the bolts of my suspension. I've heard soaking the area with coke can work but people say you can use coke for anything!

NotFromSomerset 03 September 2014 12:51 PM

Buy an electric impact wrench. Saves you so much time with stubborn bolts. Worth their weight in gold

dabiscuit 03 September 2014 05:35 PM

Well I used some loosening stuff let that settle for a bit and borrowed a 28" breaker bar from a nearby racing team (recently discovered), started with the nut and eventually did it, but fook me was it had work.

Feel like I've played rugby (which I do).

Rear coilovers on, fronts tomorrow. Did a 30mm drop at the rear. See how the splitter fares with a 30mm drop at the front. No camber and set to soft for a more comfortable ride (one hopes).

Cheers for all the help!

andy97 03 September 2014 05:45 PM

Today would be the best to clean rusted threads on the front suspension and apply necessary thread un locker fluid, leave overnight for best results.

cookstar 03 September 2014 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by sovietspybob (Post 11505977)
I've used the breaker bar and trolley jack trick a few times, think i just stood on the end of my breaker bar to do the bolts of my suspension. I've heard soaking the area with coke can work but people say you can use coke for anything!

Failing that a couple of cheeky lines of the stuff makes any job more enjoyable. :thumb:

joe v3sti 03 September 2014 06:31 PM

Your best bet is to Grow a pair of balls and get 2 spanners, push one away from you and the other towards you.
Job done!

joe v3sti 03 September 2014 06:32 PM

I'm only kidding. On a serious note, have you put some heat on it yet?

Joe

dabiscuit 03 September 2014 07:13 PM

Tried the muscle route, alas I am not strong enough! Blistered hands though :(

Driftworks.com were good to me. Not only did they throw in some degreaser with my coilovers but they gave me a free wham bar! (Not to be used ad a breaker bar). Didn't know they still made those.

Anyway white lithium grease is doing its over night.

As a noob attempting my first coilover install I can safely say it is simple to do just requires patience and strength and I'm very impressed with the build quality and ease of adjustment of the coilovers. Lets hope they ride well.

scooby_Paul 03 September 2014 07:43 PM

I had to get the oxy acetylene out at work and warm em up as mine was solid

PODWRX2 03 September 2014 08:39 PM

Take it to your local garage and ask them to get the impact gun on it for you - problem with spanners and sockets is that if they slip and round off the corners your screwed. They should only charge you a few quid if you know them well enough. Oxy is more fun though!

joe v3sti 03 September 2014 08:42 PM

Go buy 2 good quality hex 6 sided sockets

bustaMOVEs 03 September 2014 08:56 PM

The wife did mine.

DIPSY 04 September 2014 10:20 AM

Clean the thread and run a nut up it the right size cleans the thread up perfect.Give the hex head of the bolt a few cracks with a hammer or punch and hammer if you can get near with hammer .Use the hammer and punch on the hex faces of nut as well