ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Fitted HKS Air Filter but.. (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1011063-fitted-hks-air-filter-but.html)

Iqy7861 02 September 2014 05:32 PM

Fitted HKS Air Filter but..

sounded and drove absolutely crap ,Missing,Air filter sounded crap, Checked pipes all ok,MAF Adapter checked all ok, Have I done something wrong?

This is what I've done
Bought a HKS Filter (Green Mushroom Type)
Bought an Adapter for the MAF connected everything.

Would appreciate any advice.

Thank You in advance

piehole1983 02 September 2014 06:29 PM

Did you disconnect the MAF with the ignition switched on?

dark_angel 02 September 2014 06:30 PM

Hi

Maybe sucking in warm air from the engine bay ?

Andy

piehole1983 02 September 2014 06:30 PM

And without being too negative, the foam filters are known to harm MAFs.

Iqy7861 02 September 2014 06:44 PM

piehole no it wasn't switched on

Iqy7861 02 September 2014 06:45 PM

I fitted the same filter on my RA Version and was the dogs b......,cant understand what's happening to this car...
Thanks for the replies though guys appreciate it

Iqy7861 02 September 2014 07:26 PM

just put back the original box, and drives perfect so maybe a fault somewhere with new filter.

Trinity 02 September 2014 08:22 PM

Put a good quality high flow Panel filter in and leave it at that, youll get 400bhp out of a standard air box anyway, no need for induction kits.

piehole1983 02 September 2014 08:24 PM

I agree with taking it off but resetting the ECU would probably cure it. It recalibrates all the inputs and learns again.

imprezaworks 02 September 2014 11:00 PM

I personally wouldn't run an induction with a maf. I had a hks on for nearly twelve months with zero issues. My car is mapped with an induction mind and is mafless too

Iqy7861 02 September 2014 11:23 PM

Thanks guys, Ill stick with standard box filter I think.

Thanks to everyone who replied appreciate it.

MrNoisy 03 September 2014 11:08 AM

Some induction kits are better than others, but IIRC the HKS ones use oiled sponge filters which can coat and damage the MAF sensor which is why you're typically advised not to use them.
My WRX ran poorly with an HKS kit, took it off and replaced with the standard airbox and worked fine.

Best bet if you want an induction kit and aren't going mega power - buy the K&N Apollo and fit a cold air feed to it - I've seen some terrific gains from members of our local group who run them.

imprezaworks 03 September 2014 11:23 AM

I would just opt for a panel filter unless going mafless etc. Like i said i ran a hks for a while with zero issues

Iqy7861 03 September 2014 01:13 PM

Thanks guys, I'll stick to stock filter for now, as no issues, Appreciate all the advice

topshot 04 September 2014 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by MrNoisy (Post 11505957)
Some induction kits are better than others, but IIRC the HKS ones use oiled sponge filters which can coat and damage the MAF sensor which is why you're typically advised not to use them.
My WRX ran poorly with an HKS kit, took it off and replaced with the standard airbox and worked fine.

Best bet if you want an induction kit and aren't going mega power - buy the K&N Apollo and fit a cold air feed to it - I've seen some terrific gains from members of our local group who run them.

1. HKS Green induction kits are dry 3 layer foam, similar design to subaru Pro R foam filters
2. K&N are oiled.

I wouldn't use either with MAF but I have used HKS panel filters with no issues at all. The main problem with HKS foam is people think they are re-usable but the foam elements should be changed yearly

ScoobyGee 06 September 2014 11:51 PM

I was running a K&N typhoon with the filter in the wing with cold feed through the foglight, just for a laugh i got hold of a Honda s2000 airfilter from ebay and stuck it on... car holds much better boost through the rev's and feels alot faster, i found this as a shock:confused::confused: