ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Amazon instant video, any good? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/1010334-amazon-instant-video-any-good.html)

Tidgy 22 August 2014 09:44 PM

Amazon instant video, any good?

Anyone got amazon instant video?

is it any good? its only about £7 a month and i watch films whne inm on my computer and hoping i can stream it through my tv as well.

Littleted 24 August 2014 10:08 AM

Netflix tidgy love film as it's called or amazon prime is ****, I've tried it 3 times still crap.

Netflix is the best, and if you use unblock us service as well you get the American library which is rammed full.

5 quid gets you Netflix, or I pay 8 and can steam 4 streams one for each of the kids

Ant 24 August 2014 12:58 PM

netflix is brilliant since introducing profiles :D

markjmd 25 August 2014 01:31 AM

Seeing as I'm a huge Michael Connelly fan, I took a trial month of Amazon Prime a little while back, just so I could watch the pilot episode of 'Bosch' that they'd commissioned. In that whole month the only other thing I think I watched was a couple of episodes of another cop series (some kind of Canadian take on Law and Order, if I remember rightly), and aside from that I might have used it for free next-day delivery of one or two items I ordered from the site.

Bottom-line, I'm just not a big enough sports, TV or movie junkie to ever justify paying a monthly fee for this kind of service (or Sky, Virgin, whatever).

CharlySkunkWeed 25 August 2014 07:15 AM

The movies are rubbish . I had lovefilm (amazon prime) and got 2 blurays a week. The service was good , but the selection of films dried up after a month. I was ordering movies just for the sake of it , not because I wanted to see them. The "instant" side of it , I never used as there was little on it I was interested in. The odd obscure film or old series to reminisce over , but again , just used for the sake of it.

It confused the hell out of me when it changed from LoveFilm to Amazon Instant (or whatever) , didn't know what I was paying for , or intitled to. It seemed that if I cancelled one bit , the other became more expensive as it was no longer part of a package (that I never signed up to) so I sent a few criticising emails then cancelled !

Also , got a Samsung tab and a "smart" Panasonic TV and it wouldn't work on them. It worked on Xbox 360 , Nintendo Wii , laptop , and kindle (if you want to fall for their marketing ploy)

Scotsman 25 August 2014 09:34 AM

We have had Amazon Prime for the delivery benefits but have been enjoying Instant Video over the past 3-4 months. I've played with Netflix for a few trials and it was good, but I prefer the content of Amazon Prime and the service works well for us.

Worth giving Netflix a run though given it's a free 30 days service and Netflix does seem to have support for a wider range of devices, though the Amazon Instant Video android app is due out soon which will help.

stevebt 25 August 2014 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ant (Post 11498027)
netflix is brilliant since introducing profiles :D

Yup, I couldn't cancel Netflix even if I wanted to as my daughter would kill me :D

Tidgy 25 August 2014 02:58 PM

cheers for the comments folks, im looking at online content, tried lvoefilmn before and the online choices were very poor. What the online catalogs like on them?

stevebt 25 August 2014 07:21 PM

Have you tried a media box with xbmc? Its not morally right but it gives you a lot of options.

Tidgy 25 August 2014 08:14 PM

um? ok whats that? lol

SouthWalesSam 25 August 2014 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed (Post 11498532)
The movies are rubbish . I had lovefilm (amazon prime) ... The service was good...

Agree. Likewise. Agree.

Been with Lovefilm for years and found it works better for me than Amazon Instant Video. I can have 4 decent films of my choice as soon as they've made DVD/Bluray release for any amount of time I want and watch them when I'm ready.

Haven't really found much on Instant I want to watch or that I'm prepared to pay for (again) just to get it streamed instantly.

Can't say Netflix is much better either as I'm not into series dramas.

scoobygaz1 25 August 2014 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 11499081)
Have you tried a media box with xbmc? Its not morally right but it gives you a lot of options.

This is what I got after getting rid of sky some films are hit and miss but in general worth it. try androidstick.co.uk

Littleted 26 August 2014 10:30 AM

test both and decide, everyones is diff as to what they like.

Watching Blurays DVDs, is something i havent done in 5 years. netflix gives me good movies and good series, you can also fudge the DNS to get the amaerican Library its also very very good for kids, My kids love it.

Love film didnt do anything for me, i dont want DVDs shipping and the selections were pretty piss poor the movies are OLD.

test them and decide both offer 30 day trial.

Ant 26 August 2014 06:15 PM

its the biggest selling point for me the kids stuff, good selection of disney stuff on too.

i,ve just finished watching louis theroux series